Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

v6 in a 24?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skrilla  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: v6 in a 24? Reply with quote

hey guys i jsut spun a bearing in my car and i was thinking about just ripping that engine out and dropping in a aluminum v6. i can get everythign i need for mounting and the driveline machined for cheap. i was wondering if any of you guys had any ideas about this. putting in the v6 will keep the weight ratio and alos beef up the horse power a lot. i am thinking about running a v6 with roughly 200 hp. i am putting it into a 78 924. what do you guys think?
CBass  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my plan, I've picked the Mazda 2.5 liter DOHC KL-ZE, makes 200hp stock, I estimate 250hp or so for hte tune I'll be running it in. The motor is technologically amazing, Mazda started with a clean sheet of paper to build the best V6 they could, and it worked out pretty well. Has excellent cylinder heads, port shapes are great and the angles are terrific, the crank is good for at least 1000hp stock, should hold up at 12,000 rpm too, naturally aspirated.

Engine and tranny can be had from most JDM importers for about $1000, chop up the tranny to get the bellhousing, use the Mazda pressure plate and flywheel with a Porsche clutch disc, or Ford disc. Don't recall the exact diameter of the mazda disc, but I recall it's close enough to the 924 turbo discto make things easy.

IIRC, mounts on the KL are fairly low, so it wouldn't be much of a chore to mount it to the crossmember, with a couple of additional mounts in the 924 locations for added strength.
turbobob9242  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: RE V6 Reply with quote

I put a Chevy V-9 in my 80 924 turbo.

Then upgraded to a Buick Turbo GN V-6.

That mazda motor would be nice and smooth and pretty reliable!
onebadcoupe  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What v6 Chevy did you use? Were did you get the adaptor to connect engine to trans?
turbobob9242  

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: RE chevy V6 Reply with quote

It was an early Renegade hybrids kit.

I still have most if not all the pieces if you are interested.

I used a Chevy 4.3 TBI motor.

The trans needs to be the one like the 944 with the 1" main shaft in the torque tube. The 924 has a smaller one.
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: chevy swap Reply with quote

Still got the renegade parts for the 944 swap?
Vince
88 924S SE
87 911 Targa stock
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: