Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

FS: Just made billit aluminum short shifter for snailshells
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Cars and Parts Wanted/For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I produce more of these.
Yes, I want one the factory throw is WAY too long
80%
 80%  [ 16 ]
No, I am happy with the factory throw and height.
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 20

Lizard  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: FS: Just made billit aluminum short shifter for snailshells Reply with quote

Hi guys, I have just finished making a G31 / 016/Z short shifter,

this will lessen the throw of the shifter greatly, and is also shorter than the factory one by almost 2",
I would recommend that you purchase new shifter lever bushings from your local porsche dealer to install with this and maybe some lithium grease to lube it up and prevent uneeded wear.

I have 2 photos already uploaded for you

or if you dont see them
http://www.geocities.com/cjensan928s/shifter/billit1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/cjensan928s/shifter/billit2.jpg

as I said this has just been finished being made and has not been installed into the car, however the holes are the same size as the factory shifter to enable the use of the factory bushings which is STRONGLY recommended, the factory shifter knob will NOT work on this as the shaft is a round shaft made to be able to accept most standard shift knobs with 3 set screws in them, there is no shift knob included with this however.
there is no warranty on this product
asking $55 USD shipped to the US or Canada, will ship international but there will be extra shipping charges.

TIA

PS I am going to make this a poll to see if there would be interest in more being produced.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well lots of hits and a couple votes but no responces
open to suggestions, or bids.
just an FYI the ones like this for the 928 go for about $100 USD
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had a snailshell I'd be interested.

Learn to love your multimeter and may the search be with you
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a snailshell I voted first its just to spendy or I cant
justify spending 55 on a shifter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
maireeka  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks slick and sounds like a good deal for a billet machined piece, but I've got the other tranny.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so Joe thinks they are too pricey, keep in mind joe this REALLy decreases the throw, and makes it feel alot nicer imo

but what do you think is a fair price anyone?
Khal  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a lump'o metal with two holes in it? Give ya a buck...

Nah, take a store price and halve it (long as you're still makin' a reasonable profit ) Whaddaya have to do to install it?
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you just have to have a snailshell
and then you take off the factory shifter and boot,
you will then have 2 clips to undo (very easy) slide the old one off the pins, put new bushings in new shifter and apply grease, then reinstall is the exact opposite, however you will need an aftermarket knob of your choice, but you can use your existing leather boot.
My924gtc  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one applaud the effort and will be purchasing a couple of these once I am ready for such an upgrade.

The shift mechanism in my current set up is so damn tight I can't really see taking it apart right now but as the car progresses towards completion I will want a shorter throw.

FWIW $55 is cheap, and $130 is expensive. Some others sell the SS kit for that much. Hell people are payng $70 for a block of aluminum for the AUDI linkage.

I'd be willing to pay in the neighborhood of $75-$80 for a nice proven short shift kit.

If you decide to go ahead with this lizard I'm in for a couple down the road.

Sponsor of the 944 Cup and Super Cup
Sponsor of the "2006 Battle in the Badlands"
Paul  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would sell a lot more of them if the stock knob could be used.
Paul  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you're making things, how about a conversion kit to convert the snail shell shifter to a single rod system like the Audi shifter?
emoore924  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the initiative. It is nice to see people being creative regarding parts for these cars. Making our own stuff (and supporting those efforts) is becoming more and more important as these cars drop off the radar screens of the main parts manufacturers and supply houses. I can't tell you the number of times I've been looking through a Porsche parts catalog and seen something like this:

Air filter Bolt Adjuster Ring
911 $15.99
944 $11.99
924 $1,368.42
931 NLA

(guess what I need - if you guessed both C *AND* D, you're right

As for this particular effort, I'd be worried about stressing the already fragile 1-2 syncros in the snailshell by shortening up the time that they have to spin up and mesh the gears. This ain't no Honda. Perhaps something a little closer to stock throw would be better. And here's why:

There's another perhaps more interesting problem to be solved here. I'd like to fit an aftermarket shift knob I have that's not stock and I've been looking for a solution. I'd bet there are others out there too that would like to fit that Momo or APC or whatever shift knob and find it difficult because of the stock design. I think this might solve that problem and if you shorten the shifting a little bit as a side benefit, that would be nice too.

For the right price and the right design, this might do it for me. So, let's talk. PM if you're interested and we can take the discussion offline.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
You would sell a lot more of them if the stock knob could be used.

well, I can mill the circular shaft down to be able to accept the factory boot, however the factory knob is REALLY deep so I would have to make them longer than this, but the throw could still be reduced,

actually paul in regards to your other question, you could in all theory take an audi based shift lever with ball cup and base and trill and tap the holes in the torque tube to be able to accept it, however what I am wanting to do in the future is to take the lower rod for the snailshell and shorten it up ALOT, pretty much bringing it right into the cabin area and having a heim joint with a small spacer on the end instead, this will require a hole to be drilled and tapped though. and this will also need to have some of the sound deadening material removed from under there, this means that if your mounts are not 100% you may get abit of a leak/heat by there, but this will reduce the play for that to nill, and it wont wear like a ball cup joint, andit will be in a somewhat protected area so it isnt likely to rust either, and a random shot of white lithium grease would be nice, however I was wanting to get a couple of the long factory rods and change them as this would reduce the time it would take and the price, as the more time it takes me the more you pay,

and I didnt think that $55 shipped was a bad price for this piece,
and if someone is wanting 1 of these the same length but shaved to the same width as a factory rod so the stock boot will work pm me, but imo I would want the round shaft so any shift lever knob will work, steel/aluminum ball, or black ball, or momo rapter (what I am currently running)
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also what I have just offered to emoore is the possiblility of making the EXACT same shifter but with 3 holes in the bottom, bottom link rod (of course) then 1 at factory height, and 1 at short throw height,
would this spark up anyones interest?

I am wanting to hear suggestions on this, and keep in mind I wont be able to get any real production going on this (esp until the 928 is done which is soon) it will more be just building the parts at work after work,

so what type of a shift lever would you like, I could also make it so that the top of the rod is a larger diameter so you could just use the rod with no shift knob, although if you have a leather boot this will require undoing the stitches and resewing it, althought you could use just the top of the rod as is with your shift boot there, but you will have to get creative to hold the leather boot down or you wont be able to grab onto it, but a rubber band would probably do the trick, just dont know for how long,

as for the throw on this, I made it to the same specs as the throw on my shifter I have in my car, so it does work and does reduce the throw ALOT,
but mine is just a factory 1 cut up and modified, this is a MUCH MUCH nicer piece, and you could always have this anodized too

but as I said I am open for suggestions.

are there any NLA parts people have needed that could be made on a lathe and mill?
MunkPuppy  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have personally seen this short shifter, and the quality is amazing. I have also tried Lizard's short-shifter and the shift is tight and very positive.

As for the price, you would have to be crazy to think that it is anywhere close to expensive.

Take him up on this; I'm not just saying this because he is my friend. The difference between a regular shifter and a short shifter is unparallelled.

"It's a shame that stupidity isn't painful"
-Anton Szandor LaVey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Cars and Parts Wanted/For Sale All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: