Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

dim instrument lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there... finally figured out why the instrument lights are so dim. #1 culprit is bad grounds, which can be helped (as stated in the Tech Section) by adding a ground from the center console to the center dash mounting stud (behind the center speaker grill). However, looking through the parts book I see that the original factory lightbulbs are rated at 1.2W. Way too little! If you look through the parts stores, you should be able to find an identical bulb rated at 3.2W. It's much brighter, and after driving my 931 last night, I can assure you that I had more illumination than I'd ever need complain about from these bulbs.

BTW, this is not the listed correct bulb for the car, but matches physically and functionally, only better!

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are the lights that go into the dash?! Where can I find um?!!

Porsche 924 Wide Body LS1 Corvette 500 Horsepower Engine
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, these are them. You should be able to find them at the local parts shop... at least at the big chains like Pep Boys and Autozone, etc. ...our predominant chain here in Detroit is Murray's, which is where I went...

'82 931 Plat. Silver
wdb  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

having bright lights when you need them is good,but when driving at night you should have your dash lights as dim as possible,in the dark your pupils dialate to allow more light in to your eyes so you can see better.bright lights in front of your eyes will constrict your pupils deminishing your vision.if you cant see it, you dont know its there, and you dont know that you cant see it
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. Whenever I'm out in the dark, I turn my lights just bright enough to be able to read the speedo without spending too long looking at it.

Of course, I live in the Motor City, so I'm rarely out in the dark, even if it's after sundown! I need plenty of light to overpower the streetlights.

'82 931 Plat. Silver
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: