Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Audi 5-cyl
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fredrikl  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Putting an Audi 5-cyl engine in the 924 has been a frequent topic of discussion for years now.

However, now it has been quiet for a while, and I would like to know if anyone has any news in this issue. Can it be done? Has it been done? In that case, how?

I saw in a book about the 924 that the original intention at the factory was to put the 5-cyl in the 924. Too bad that never became reality. I am sure those of you who have tried this engine have found out that it is smooth, quiet, and powerful (especially turbo and 20v versions), in other words everything the 924 2-litre is not...

Greetings,
Fredrik

[ This Message was edited by: fredrikl on 2001-10-22 08:01 ]
larso  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 5 cyls had the exhaust and intake on the same side. That's definately weird and silly.

I've been in a audi 200 5 cyl turbo, and they are fast for a heavy car, 2.5 seconds 0-30, not bad, same as 951.
ericj001  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is my ultimate pipedream, a turbo charged quattro drivetrain in a wide body 924..no easy task, but definately do able. If I ever have the space, time and money all at the same time, im going to build one....I loved my 4000 S Quattro and I get chills thinking of what those mechanicals would do in a 924 body....
Mark CSC  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be wrong but didn't the 924 station wagon have a 5cyl turbo engine in it?

Eric

I actually heard of somebody doing just that in the UK. Never saw the car or got any details of it though.

Mark

[ This Message was edited by: Mark CSC on 2001-11-08 04:58 ]
cs  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an awd 924 would be great, the two big problems i see is getting all of that front end under the sharp hood of the 924 and getting the engine mounted so the axles lined up with the wheels. i'm trying to remember where the engine sits in relation to the wheels on the audi, i'll have to look tomorrow. does audi have any quattro turbo's that didn't have the intake and exhaust on the same side, all of the ones i've seen have had them on the same side.
swicks  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, there were some Audi 5cyl with crossflow heads.

Here in South Africa it has been stretched to 2.6 ltr and is used in the VW Kombi giving 100kW and 200nm torque. Power of the RoW cars (not strangled NA versions) is 95kW, so there isn't much extra in that dept, but the torque would ensure a gearbox would take strain.

I would rather rebuild a motor properly, ie match ports, balance, bigger throttle body and clean up the ports.

Steve
swicks  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess what!

Porsche did build a few prototype 924s fitted with a 5 cyl engine. According to a former test driver in Stuttgart, the car had the standard 4-bolt disc/drum set-up, but he has no idea what happened to the car or why it never made it into production.

Cbass  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres no reason it can't be done.

If somebody is willing to put up the money, I'd be more than willing to build a quattro 924 widebody. My only fee would be enough beer to finish the project.
925turbo  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one, I have buidt a 924 whit a 200 turbo engine, it's a lot more work than you ever can imagine. But the car is for the moment not running, but it will be uppgraded with a new enginge a 20V 5 cyl from a S2 wich is a crossflow. The prodjket will be on standing still for a while now because I studign abroad for tree years..

[ This Message was edited by: 925turbo on 2002-03-26 15:02 ]
Cbass  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, so somebody has done it. I really dislike people who say that a project that like is impossible. It's not impossible, just incredibly difficult!
teo  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

925turbo,

do you have any pictures of it? Here's this topic about engine transplants but I haven't seen any actual pictures from a boardmember so far.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have contacted 925Turbo, and he is sending me an list of what he has done to fit the engine in. I will post the info when I get it. Hmm... 20V Turbo 924.... 218hp stock... up to 400 modified, possible to swap...
Cbass  

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a dedicated engine swapper, this all looks pretty simple. This procedure was for the non crossflow design, the original wacky 5 cyl. This is not the motor to pick for the swap, it involves lots of custom work.

The motor to choose is the later 20V, preferably a turbo. The engine fits, although there may be fab work involved for the exhaust. The 20V intake should all fit in nicely. I am going to take a good look at one of these motors so.

This is the leter 925Turbo sent me
Quote:

To start with, the biggest problem for me was to make the exhaust manifold and inlet manifold. I have only 4 cm long inlet pipes, because the old 200 turbo engine isn’t a cross flow engine. But with the 20V 5 cyl you could probably run with stock inlet. And the exhaust manifold is ending in front of the engine, so the turbo is placed in front of the engine in the right corner. And the exhaust pipe from the turbo makes a U turn around the left front frame. I made an exhaust with five pipes ending up in a collector all of the pipes are 60 cm long I think you only have 10 or 11 cm to build it on in width. I had to move the oil filter as well to make room for the exhaust manifold. The left engine mount I had to do by my self, on the right side I moved the original mount out from the engine ~ 4 cm (used a U beam to do it). The cultch housing is bolt on, but the problem is the flywheel, you have to find a thinner one, or you could use the cultch housing from a 924 Turbo then you could use the Audi flywheel. The support bearing for the transaxle in the crankshaft is another big problem.

I had some problems with the cooling of the engine because the engine ends up a little higher than the stock one. So I moved the expansion tank up as high as possible. It is very tight around the distributor so some things have to move.

I am from Sweden and it is quite close to Germany so I will go dime to Germany to buy me an engine, but for the moment I am studding in Australia.

I have only good thing to say about the 5 cylinder engine the only problem I think there is that it is very difficult to find a ECU to program your self how manage 5 cyl with direct fire.
dvarholy  

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been following this thread closely. The Audi 5 cyl has always interested me. I know the 10V motor is CIS. But, what fuel system does the 20V use? The 10V motors, including turbos, are very easy to find where I live. 924 engines are not. What is it about the intake and exhaust on the same side of the head that makes the conversion difficult? I am guessing space is the trouble.
925turbo  

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the k-jetronic injektion from a MB-560 om my car. But in the next engine I will probably use the Autronic SM2, the only problem is to get direc fire, but I have heard that Autronic should be able to make it work soon. And the S2 engine or RS2 engine have reacht aroung 650hp in sweden.
http://home.bip.net/slime/S2RSR03.JPG
There can you find the result of the engine in a dyno!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: