Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

where are my timing marks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lovelyjubbly  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys
I recently bought an 81 924 which never started well or even ran right.
IM currently re-checking everything the last owner did to see if I could find the faults.
The compression on all cylinders is good so IM now checking the timing.
I noticed only one timing mark on the flywheel and it has the number 10 stamped directly above it
There are no other markings on it, not even a TDC mark.
There is a very small mark on the crankshaft, which I assumed when aligned with the marker, above it is TDC. Should I set it to this mark and replace the belt?
Does this mean that you white paint the 10 mark, on the flywheel, and point the timing light at the flywheel?

ricomartinez  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an '81 also. Is there a "-" or "+" next to the "10"? If I remember correctly, there is a -10 and a +10 as well as a "0" in between the two. Trouble is there might be some gunk/rust hiding them. Clean and mark the 10 you see with white paint so you can see it better. Then slowly turn looking carefully for the other marks and do the same with them.

Also, if your camshaft is timed correctly with your crankshaft, you can look at the rear of the camshaft sprocket. When the mark on the sprocket is lined up with the pointer on the camshaft cover, that is TDC. Of course, not as accurate as flywheel marks and dependent on the two being timed correctly. But, getting the sprocket in the right place may help you find 0 on the flywheel.
lovelyjubbly  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will re-check the flywheel in case i have missed any other marks.
I am unable to use the camshaft marker as a rough guide to TDC as i have now removed the belt.
There is a small grove on the crankshaft pulley is this a TDC mark?
For some reason the Timing marks are really small on the 924.
I have a haynes manual but it's not to clear on the subject.
Joes924  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look on the crank turn the motor from the crank nut with a socket or wrench pull a plug or 2 its easier to crank stop when the crank mark meets the pointer down there in the center...

now look on the back of the cam gear it should be lined up the the pointer on the valve cover now pull the dist. cap and make sure the spark is going to #1 .

IF the cam isnt on mark loosen the belt and turn the cam gear till it is retighten belt
also turn motor clockwise facing it ...
this is enough timing to start it up

put a mark on the dist. before you move it so you know where your current timing is at if you want to save or dont have a timing light.after you set timing advance or retard the didt. to where you want it
fielderd  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there should be three marks. the outer two are +-10 degreesd and the one in the centre should line up with the notch on the bellhousing
lovelyjubbly  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now cleaned the flywheel and have found the marks that i needed.Im going to have a beer now to celebrate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: