Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Pistons + cam, where should i start??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1987924S  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I plan on adding a cam and new pistons. I would like to keep my low end power or up it a bit, and increse as much as possible from the two things my mid and top range power. Anybody have any suggestions and know what price im looking at?? thanks

[ This Message was edited by: 1987924S on 2001-10-13 04:35 ]
Joes924  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had a 924s Id just do the cam and get alot of head work done ... Unless you have a spare $1000.00 to properly do the pistons

Cams? web cam is about the best but spendy

schnieder cams is good and very good on the pocket book,about half as much web cams. Head work alot of places offer different
builds from rebuilds to stage 1(valve facing and angling) and a stage 2( porting polishing and matching the combustion chambers. pick up a good porsche mag such as porsche excellence theres a number of places in there. I plan on putting a links page on my site this weekend so check there on monday
Didnt make the links yet ..its monday

[ This Message was edited by: Joes924 on 2001-10-16 14:37 ]
Johnny_924S  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem is that porsche 924's respond well to head work, (if that makes sense) by that i mean thats where you get the most bang for your buck...the bad thing your asking...it isnt much bang! i read that you can increase compression by going with a thinner copper gasket but personally id stay away from that just because of the close tollorances. my opinion is tha if your looking to increase mid to top, and your looking to rebuild just oversize a bit maybe 10 over or so or if your no up for a total rebuild, you might want to look into racing headers....one final note, be VERY careful where you take your head, it is thin and easy to ruin if you dont know what you are doing!! pay the extra buck for someone who knows what they are doing it is well worth it...Cheers...Johnny
swicks  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking! If its risky skimming the head, then why not skim the block to get the piston heights right?

Its common practice on Golfs, but nobody seems to do it on 924. Why not?

I also want to wave a magic wand over my engine - its starting to show the head gasket symptoms and make piston slap noises.

But I love it and hug it every morning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: