Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

The wheels started turning when I read this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikecoupegt  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: The wheels started turning when I read this. Reply with quote

Ok here it is. In my local PCA region I found two ads that could make 1 killer car! Deal is $$ are scarace and room even less, but I cant help thinking about it anyway. Give me your views on this combination.

Part 1) The motor for a very reasonable price depending on how bad it really is!

1990 944S2 engine block.
Cylinder #1 badly scored, condition excellent otherwise. Good basis for monster >3.0L motor. Includes matching cradle and balance shaft covers, all roll pins, dowels, cradle/front studs, frost plugs. No head studs. Price: $200 o.b.o

Part 2) if you have a motor you need something to put it in right. Well here it is.

1980 porsche 924 turbo body for sale
( power train is missing)
1980 porsche 924 turbo transmission for sale. Both for best offer.

If I offer 100 for the body and tranny, it is possible I could get the car. Mate this car and tranny with the '44S2 motor and think of the sleeper you could have. Now I am not too sure on how hard it would be to make it work, or even if it would be viable, but my mind says, if we can put big Chebby V8's we can surely put little 3.0 litre 4's in our cars and make the other enthusiasts go WTF?????

Mike Kirby
Sleykin  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The S2 block would need boring and resiliconizing or sleeves. Gonna be spendy to put it back together. Then you need the KLR and DME etc. and wire looms. Just as a wag I woould figure on about 4-5K$ to do it right and make a driver out off it. Plus a LOT of hours. That is if you get the turbo bits and intake from the S2 too.
Khal  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert, so this is hear-say:

In the Practical Classics magazine that 5150 pointed out, I read something along the lines of the 944 blocks having a special coating in the bores and once damaged, it is irrepairable. Their comment was something like... if the rings are gone, that's not such a big deal but if the bores are damaged, it's kaput. Toss it (they were commenting on the 924S)

I'll check the exact text tonight but I think you might wanna check this out for yourself before buying this particular engine.

Last edited by Khal on Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sleykin  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to have them re-bored but it requires some very specialized honing equipment to re-surface the bores. That is why I suggested you look around for a place that could do the work and how much they charge. I can have a toyota motor re-bored for ~$100 my 924S would be about $800 or so.
AznDrgn  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've considered this conversion and it is possible. You'll need to modify the crossmember in the '80 turbo to hold the motor and then as said before you'll need the complete wiring harness DME and the complete motor as well. After you get all that in you'll have to get some detailed wiring diagrams and hack the harness so you can get gauge signals and signals to the DME. On the note of the missing drive train you'll also need an S2 or 951 tranny as the 3.0L motor is known to eat other trannies alive. If you are really interested in doing this conversion there are a few 924S cars over on rennlist that have this conversion done.

-'83 Callaway 944 2.5L turbo, 300HP, 1 of 42 ever made
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: