Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

rover engine
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: rover engine Reply with quote

Hey- BTW: What is this about a rover engine going in these cars? Is there a way to adapt this pretty easily?

Porsche 924 Wide Body LS1 Corvette 500 Horsepower Engine
Adie  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep it's easy , you need a suitable donor, it can be done with an SDi front set up but you need a 944S rad, the drivetrain needs updating to a 944 but the strength is there as your pulling a third less weight. A P6 front end gives you more room. The key to the rover is the heads, you need to loose 1 inch off the sump and a remote oil cooler takes care of the loss. the fuel system needs revision as most rovers run carbs (the hotwire doesn't fit under the bonnet unless you cut down the plenum and trumpets, it also weighs less than the 924 engine so you need lowered springs for the front. I used to sell the kit for the conversions for around $500 but thanks to other forum members I no longer make them, however the proceedure is not rocket science, an adaptor plate, new engine mounts and some rerouting of the heater pipes, changing the fuel pump for a mallory and machining the original manifold to take the carb of your choice, (for street use a holley 2 barrel 500 cfm is perfect, a 600 vac sec if you want to race it.) The wiring stays the same, you use the same alternator and s/motor, the m/cylinder for the brakes fits aswell, it;s an easy conversion and works well if you get a good donor engine and don't follow the MGE numbers some people boast about BHP figures. 250-270 bhp with good torque spread across the whole rev range is obtainable, the car is lighter due to the lighter engine and the package is nice and tight. if you are after 500 bhp monstor screamer then you should look to the 944 turbo BOYS and get the low down from them.
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided against the rover engine as a remote possibility for the following reasons:

1: Support. It's like an Atari 2600. You might be able to over clock the sucker, but you need support and not a lot of people support these engines

2: Proven results. You don't see a million people dropping these engines in their cars. LT1's and other chevy engines, yes

3: Comfort level. This is for both me and the person that would work on this. If we need to compare to something we can look over at another setup that is the same... no guess if this is gonna work or not

4: Reliability. Rover engine = dependable / LS1 engine = dependable. LS1 engine = if it goes out, I can get a million more

PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to join the rest of the V8-ers at http://www.560sec.com/bulletinboard/index.php
You'll find alot of info on that forum....

Also I have a friends 97 T/A here at my shop that he smashed with an LT1 in it...he would sell the whole set up with computer harness air conditioning...etc. for $1500. usd. The shipping would likely run you an additional $500.00.....but the offer is here.

1978-#53 "D" track racer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
924_Conversion_Guy  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Adie, you're on :-) Reply with quote

I am passing along this note for Rick

Rick is not welcome here. Admin.
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Adie, you're on :-) Reply with quote

What exactly does this mean?

My924gtc  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a personal grudge match. You can find posts referencing it throughout the transplant forum.

Sponsor of the 944 Cup and Super Cup
Sponsor of the "2006 Battle in the Badlands"
924_Conversion_Guy  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Rick...

Rick is not welcome here. Admin.
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adie

Rick doesn't come here any more or if he does he doesn't advertise. After one too many examples of his obvious mental and social problems we banned his username and and all the networks he'd used to access the site from. First and only time I've hade to do that but then this is 924board.org not fixyourmentalproblems.com.

If you have not been put off for life I'm sure a lot of us would love to get some more info on the way you do Rover transplants.

Peter

Learn to love your multimeter and may the search be with you
Adie  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still full of crap, how the thing changes, the conversion was for $500, the conversion, that includes the entire kit to put a rover into your car, I have 3 sitting on the shelf, YOIU have to supply your own engine, I have NEVER said I supply the motor for that money, the headers are also your lookout, $500 had the engine in the car and running, thats what the conversion entails, christ do you want me to fill up the tank while I'm at it, maybe a service and a wash/shine, comeon get real, bring me the car and money witha SUITABLE engine and I will put the thing in for you, what spec engine you use is compleatly up to you (however I am sure you know as much about engines as you do about Porsches) MY car has MY engine in, and MY engine was built by ME, YOUR car should have YOUR engine in, get it?? It's not exactly hard now is it. So we can agree you have constantly moved the goal posts every time you open your mouth and spout this drivel. If you want it to go aster than a 924 then give me an engine with more power than a 924, as for it being road legal what else do you want?? me to check the tires, emission test it for you, you seem to think that I am going to go out of my way to make it easy, hell no, not for you, I'll want to have a preinspection of the pile of crap you intend to dump on me and I'll be wanting to see your brothers qualifications while i'm at it. I'll meet you for coffee, I am now in Collingwood though. You have not said what you intend to do for induction either, you are short on a whole lot of things, however if you wish to discuss this further you know how to get me. Oh and by trying to belitle my engine does little for me, the engine is the same as the TVR engine and your knowledge is astoundingly poor still, the reason for the engine is because it's ability to produce globs of torque and it's LIGHTER than the 924 engine. Do some research and then come out to play. God I'm getting bored of this, I'm back off to the propper board where people who do..do.
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adie,

Are you saying you want to put an LS1 engine in my 924?

- Jon

AppleBit  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adie,

Are you saying you want to put an LS1 engine in my 924?

- Jon

CBass  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<double post, edited>

Last edited by CBass on Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CBass  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear sweet lord, I take a break from the forums and when I come back, everything has gone to hell.

I've seen many pictures of Adie's swap, the work is quite professional in my opinion. For a hot street engine in a 924, you'd be hard pressed to find a better powerplant than the Rover V8, especially for the price. It's light, it makes good low end torque, it can rev to 7000rpm quite happily. It nestles nicely in the 924 bay.

Adie  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, unfortunatly the 924 (2.0) transaxle only lasted 6 months, then we swapped in a 944 TT and transaxle, the only difference was the clutch that I had made for the VW spline was no longer able to be used, however the 944 spline is identical to the rover (and also ford) so we used a rover clutch compleate. The silver engined bayed car is obviously a different car as it is a left hand drive for race purposes, the conversion cast a piece of ally, an old auto bellhousing from a rover, a hydraulic throwput bearing from summit, and a clutch that had to be made, the mounts were refabricated from the original rover ones, and the rest is how you see it, now it's even simpler with a plate between the 944 bellhousing and a new flywheel made from aluminum, this allows the use of a 944 clutch and stanrrdard 944 starter and hydraulics. This was all done a long time ago when I thought people would want a cheap alternitive to the other offerings, as you can see theres hardly any money to be spent, most can be done using a grinder, hacksaw, and a few taps, however the spiggot (the same size is made for the T5 to rover adaption), (TVR have these on the shelf) had to be made from phospher bronze, this cost me nothing but at worst it should cost no more than $15-20 for a machinest to make. However a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then and I leave people to spend vast amounts of money for the 'perfect' conversion, even if it is no better than any of the rest. I try not to reinvent the wheel, so if cheap standard parts can be adapted easily without spending anything I go that route, rather than have one off custom parts machined, as that takes me time and effort and no one like standing in front of a laithe for 14 hours a day for a week, and yes I have gone that route and even rebored the block myself, now thats a boring (excuse the pun but no access to theasurus) but it taught me to measure the engine before parting with any cash, and if someone trys to sell you a 96mm bore Rover, run like the wind, you have to end up making your own pistons, but thats another story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: