Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

LS1 engine in 924
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: LS1 engine in 924 Reply with quote

What are the obstructions that I would come across putting an LS1 engine in my 924? And are there answers on what I can do to overcome these obstacles (ie: oil pan interfering so modified oil pan)?

I like the idea of a lighter weight engine and the LT1 has a cast-iron block and I would rather have lighter in the car... way more fun that way.

Yes, I know it would be more expensive... but I'm done screwing around

Porsche 924 Wide Body LS1 Corvette 500 Horsepower Engine
Darin81T  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arggh.... I just typed up a big long to-do list for you but it didn't post and when I hit back the message window was blank.

Oh well.

Check out www.content2drown.com/924LT1

That talks about most of the issues involved. One extra thing you would have to deal with is that the LS1 intake is taller and will therefore not fit under the hood.

I'll try to post a more thorough list of things involved when I have more time. I made that website in about 10 minutes and it's not very detailed, or updated...

Let me know if you have anymore questions that aren't answered on that webpage.

Later,
Darin Flynn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
wdb  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops double post

Last edited by wdb on Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
wdb  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2003 Mach 1 is expected to deliver more than 300 horsepower from its modular (MOD) 4.6-liter, 4-valve, DOHC V-8 engine .the cobra has an all aluminum version , food for thought .if your going all out , that would be theway to go

http://mysticcobra.net/96info.shtml

or were you planning on using the new corvette transaxle with that for balance
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't want a Ford engine. The Chevy engine is better. Reasons: The 4.6 MODular engine is heavier and is not as cheap to get performance parts for. I like chevy engines and they are more popular to put in and a lot more people know them.

Chevy only.

AppleBit  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darin81T wrote:
arggh.... I just typed up a big long to-do list for you but it didn't post and when I hit back the message window was blank.

Oh well.

Check out www.content2drown.com/924LT1

That talks about most of the issues involved. One extra thing you would have to deal with is that the LS1 intake is taller and will therefore not fit under the hood.

I'll try to post a more thorough list of things involved when I have more time. I made that website in about 10 minutes and it's not very detailed, or updated...

Let me know if you have anymore questions that aren't answered on that webpage.

Later,
Darin Flynn

Darin,

Will it fit in without worry to the steering column? How about the oil pan? Do I have to shorten the length of the driveshaft/driveshaft tube? Is it only that I need to get a hood scoop with the intake to fit?

Thanks,

- Jon

Darin81T  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The steering column was not a problem with our LT1 installation. The driver's side exhaust manifold was in the way, but we were actually able to put a passenger side exhaust manifold on the drivers side which put the outlet on the front of the engine on and cleared the steering column. I don't know exactly what the LS1 headers look like, but there's a good chance you will have to put custom ones on.

We were able to use the stock oil pan with the LT1 but we had to shape it a little bit with a hammer(That's a good way of saying we whacked the hell out of it til it fit). If you have to "shape" your oilpan, I would recommend doing it with it bolted to the block so it doesn't warp the mating surface too much, but check it regularly to make sure that you're not hitting the oilpan against the crank. We only had to put a small .5" divit in the oil pan. The oilpan might be aluminum though, in which case you'll have to get a new one because cast aluminum is not very malleable.

Putting an LS1 in a 924 is definitely possible but since I haven't done it, I can't really garauntee anything about how hard or easy it will be. Since it is a completely different engine than the LT1 I'm sure you will run into some different problems than we did with the LT1.

It's going to be expensive to have someone else do the work for you, I hope you have some deep pockets. There is a lot of custom fabrication and machining to be done and that stuff doesn't come cheap.

That being said, I think when you get it done you'll say it was well worth any price.

Later,
Darin Flynn

PS: Did I tell you that our 924LT1 weighs only 2630 lbs with a 51/49 weight distribution? And we still have plenty of weight reduction left to do!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
CBass  

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5.0 Ford HO motor is a much better choice for a tight fit like the 924, as it's lighter than an LS1 by a couple of lbs, even with iron heads and block. 411lbs dressed. except for a starter, and the starter can't weigh more than 20lbs. Don't let the all aluminum thing fool you, the LS1 is no featherweight motor. A 5.0 with iron heads will easily weigh 50lbs less than an LS1. LS1 weighs about 460lbs with a torque converter and 500 with a clutch.

It's physically much smaller, comes with a hydraulic roller cam/lifters, forged pistons, etc. A good set of aluminum heads will take you beyond 350hp, assuming good breathing headers and manifold, and with a set of high rate roller rockers, that cam gets even better.

Car craft had a stock 5.0 bottom end and cam with a set of AFR 165cc heads, with 1.90 intakes, carb, headers and 1.7:1 roller rockers make 408hp on the dyno.
JakeFrame  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: LS1 Reply with quote

You got the right Idea, LS1, Stick with it. Renegade hybrids does the conversion for the 944 so if you do what Im doing, get the driveline and suspension from a 944, and renegades kit, then you should have no problem getting things hooked up. The LS1 from the camaro is you best bet because of clearance, but the corvette motor will work as well. Read more about it at.... www.renegadehybrids.com
Please don't destroy it with a 5.0!
Jake
1977 924 4 spd
1992 Mercedes 300e 4MATIC
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: LS1 Reply with quote

JakeFrame wrote:
You got the right Idea, LS1, Stick with it. Renegade hybrids does the conversion for the 944 so if you do what Im doing, get the driveline and suspension from a 944, and renegades kit, then you should have no problem getting things hooked up. The LS1 from the camaro is you best bet because of clearance, but the corvette motor will work as well. Read more about it at.... www.renegadehybrids.com
Please don't destroy it with a 5.0!
Jake

I thought a LS1 would not fit in a 924 because the steering rack would get in the way?

I'll just drive my car for one more year then start the v8 project.

JakeFrame  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Just an idea Reply with quote

The steering rack on the 924 is the same as on the 944, but the kit from renegade comes with a modified cross member which if I remember right is what the steering rack is connected to. Good Idea to drive it for one more year, it will give you all the more time to find the parts and save some money up for the project Good luck with it, when I get mine done I will post pics.
1977 924 4 spd
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Just an idea Reply with quote

Are you seriously building one of these right now?

Once I am done with school and back to a full time job I want to see where your at with this!

JakeFrame wrote:
The steering rack on the 924 is the same as on the 944, If the LS1 fits in one, it will fit in the other. It is even more simple because of the lack of power steering even available on the 924. Good Idea to drive it for one more year, it will give you all the more time to find the parts and save some money up for the project Good luck with it, when I get mine done I will post pics.

JakeFrame  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you seriously building one of these right now?

Once I am done with school and back to a full time job I want to see where your at with this!

Yes, but it is going slow since alot like you am still a student which is a real killer on the income and time to deal with it.
1977 924 4 spd
turbobob9242  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, you need to join the porschehybrids forum!

www.porschehybrids.com
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LS1 engine with 345 hp is on order.

Comments?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: