Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Alternator Mounts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gla924sem  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Alternator Mounts Reply with quote

Though I have never had a problem with them I just am not happy with the soft rubber mounts. Would like something harder.

Has anyone tried anything different-harder rubber??? steel???
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aluminum..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gla924sem  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any source for the aluminum mountss or get a lathe and make ones yourself???
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIY, but I'd recommend steel or delrin - I'd expect the aluminum to be too soft and just wear too soon. The self-lubricating properties of delrin would be better, but steel is simplest - that's what I'm running. Really sucks to fling the alt/water pump belt at speed - cook the engine before you can react.
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Vaugnn how about posting some pics of your alt set-up I just went through the cook your engine thing and got it runnin again. It sucked big time. Those rubber mounts are not to be over tightened, me thinks I over tightened them in a hurry once and that started the rubber to tear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have any detailed pics of it, I'm afraid, but it's all hard-mounted now. Keep in mind that the lower mounting (for the adjuster) can have enough slop in it to prevent proper tensioning as well.
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hooked something up thats worken though I know Ill check the shop
I like to use and ask if theycan get the alt bushings should be able to Id think.
Are the bushings still available ? Does anyone know ?
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gohim posted a note a while back indicating that the old rubber bushing had been superseded by a newer, harder bushing.
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
jjadczak  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Vaughan, any place I can check online for those bushings? That's one of our off season projects is to replace the worn out bushings on both cars. That and try to figure out why #35/36 keeps on blowing head gaskets, and oh yeah, rebuild the transmission on #53.
#53 Porsche 924 (sold '06)
#35 Porsche 924 (R.I.P. '06)
#141 Porsche 944 944 Cup
FLAG Motorsports
"Fast Lucky And Good"
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure; I think gohim had mentioned that stock replacements are now a much harder material, but as you may recall me mentioning mine are now steel bushings.

Much more to pass on and download for you guys, as you may expect; I'll email direct. But here's the short reply: tranny on 53 - swap in a spare, don't rebuild unless you have a diff to put in while you're at it. 35 - you need to get a handle on it, sure, but I feel like you're missing a root cause here.

Both cars need a revamp of the electrical system - it's virtually impossible to work on. It should be just as clean, well-labeled and understandeable as your truck is. The truck is a masterpiece of design and planning. The cars need to match, not just in paint scheme.

No surprise, you need to get a handle on your motors; 53's alive now, but I GUARANTEE it will need an overhaul/freshening (bearings and gaskets) now after running so hot. That or plan on blowing it. That simple. But the rings should be good and seated, so don't pop them out. But you odn't have them under control; this was clear when they wouldn't even hardly start and run cold. Should not be a problem, indicates tuning issues (echoed by the lack of power). That's just not right. These don't have carbs. I don't even have any starting fluid, never need any; you shouldn't either.

They both need oil coolers. Quit F-ing around and do it. These motors will not last, and all your hard-earned time and money will be wasted. You'll become experts at building motors, the wrong way. Sorry if it sounds harsh, it's not meant to be, but you shouldn't wait any longer. Especially on 53, which has a good motor, you need to preserve it. It stays dry and running; keep it happy. We can go over details of what to install and run. But skip some weekends and do it right, or you're wasting time and entry fees.

But these all lead to your biggest issue - procedures. This is what you guys are weakest on; either don't have them or don't follow them, the end result is the same, the cars end up breaking down. I'll go into more detail directly.

You have all the resources (people, most of all) necessary to succeed and progress well from here; it will take discipline and persistence to achieve that success, though. You and Ray did a great job handling the ups and downs of the weekend, no question; equally Roger and Danny are your pair of aces, a massive resource who can really make sure you guys succeed... now it's just a matter of streamlining the whole thing. But we'll spend all winter picking apart this past weekend.

It was a great, fun weekend, I've got loads of great photos to be posted. It was also an awesome learning experience. The most important thing is now for you guys to understand and take to heart all of the lessons that are on-hand to be learned from this weekend.

Every potential exists to have both cars finish this race at speed in some upcoming year. But probably not next year, and there's much to be done in the meantime.

We'll chat more offline; I'll let everyone know when the pics are up on my website.
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha I was able to pick up new mounts for my alt this saterday
got 2 rubber bushing and the 2 inner washers with the sleeve atteched.
Just got to get them on the car sometime.
jjadczak  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughan lets furrther talk about this off line. Part of what I wanted for this weekend was to have other seasoned racers see up close how were doing things and of course to see if we set these cars up properly. In some areas we got a lot of feedback and opinions, and we tried to juggle all of that and make it a successful weekend. I am eagerly anticipating your feedback both positive and negative. Please don't hold back. If you know what our problems are in regards to the head gasket problems please share with us because I think were stumped. I agree that especially with procedures we need to work on this as this area is all new to us. I do have some questions that maybe you and I can chat on the phone soon. The good news is that we will have ample time over the winter to work on these bullit items and be ready to go for next season.

I'm glad you had fun this weekend. My only regret was that we didn't get you in #53 to continue on after we got it running later in the race. But you had your reasons and there will be other times for you to run at the Glen.

Thanks again for making our first full enduro together a special one. I know it was a long ride for you but we would not think of not including you in this deal that was paramount. Everyone raved about the food team and your crew were absolutely awesome. I think Greg didn't want to take off his head set after it was all over. I think he is ready for the next enduro.

BTW if there is further discussion about doing the 12 hours at the Point in '05 it will not be in one of F.L.A.G.'s 924's. Were still having trouble with "L." Lucky "A." And "G." Good. It will most likely be in one of two 944's or Jason's Jetta in ITB. Jason is ready to sign up tomorrow and just needs some co drivers. I'm tempted, really really tempted
#53 Porsche 924 (sold '06)
#35 Porsche 924 (R.I.P. '06)
#141 Porsche 944 944 Cup
FLAG Motorsports
"Fast Lucky And Good"
wdb  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did the radios work out ?
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty poor - lot of interference. Needs wiring work, but the cars need that in a general sense anyway.

Range was good however - when I popped it on the back straight, I was able to chat with the pit from the Bus Stop and tell them what was going on without too much trouble. Those were apparently 4W radios in the car.

I'm going to upgrade to the homemade ear buds for next year, and improve wiring on my own radio too.
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: