Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Porsche 924S TURBO??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine in a 924S is a 944 engine. SO If I get the turbo intake and exhaust from a 944 turbo could I turbo charge my car??? I dont know if the fuel systems are different or if the ECU is the same. It would be cool if it worked
MAS  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you could Dave. I'm just a newcomer to the Porsche world too... but I think that the stock 924S compression ratio is too high for the boost etc that the 944Turbos run at. To get the same kind of performance (safely), you'd likely have to lower the compression ratio, and this would require an engine rebuild.

-MAS
Dave  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to find low compression pistons What about the ECU and the Fuel system would it be ok???? DO you think it is worth doing???
larso  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be a lot easier to stick a 951 engine in the 924S

I am not sure if there are pre made holes for the turbo mouts to bolt to and all that, there probably are, but it would probably be cheaper for you to just buy a whole 951 engine, because pistons by themselves are harder to find and maybe even more expensive since you might have to get them custom made.
YOu also would need to fabricate the intercooler, unless you plan on running without one..but i think a 931 engine would perform just as good/better with a boost controller than a 951 engine with no intercooler...
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be much more cost efficient to sell your 924S and buy a 951. The 951 has the updated dash, nicer seats, larger brakes, better suspension, better looks, larger wheels and tires...starting to make sense? Oh yeah, and if you buy one, the engine/computer/exhaust/wiring will probably come already installed
larso  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gonna say that too Jon, but the ultimate setup would be a 924S because it's more aero dynamic, lighter, and it looks like a 924 (if u like the looks of the 924 better)

So that would be a wicked project....
MAS  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave... I have to agree with the others here, I think your money would be better invested (saved) in buying a 951.

But... here's what I may do with my 924S sometime in the future.

1) I would like to "restore" the engine to Eurospec. That is stock 163 hp without any other major mods except the raised compression ratio (that the Euro cars had).

2) Get the engine "stroked" with the 2.8 liter stroker kit.

3) Both of the above.

I think that a high compression, 2.8 liter stroked 924S would provide a reasonable amount of "punch". Probably at least 190 hp, and with a good broad torque curve too.

The car would probably be well into the sixes in its 0-60 times.

-MAS

[ This Message was edited by: MAS on 2001-08-05 06:06 ]
Cbass  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself am planning a 951 swap into a NA 79. Needs a new tranny, so I might as well take the whole drivetrain from a 951. It's got nice ARE 16x8 alloys, 205/40/16 BFG Euro TAs, and that makes the car a bit lower... One of these days, I'll just replace the suspension, brakes, hubs and everything from 951 or 968...

The only downside is it's got a mess of an interior.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: