Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

HID Lighting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone replaced their 924 lights with HID lights?

One of my headlights needs replacing and I'm thinking about HID, not because of the trendy blue look but because some extra light would be useful.

My only experience with HID lighting was some years back with hydroponic lights and I remember that they were very particular about the startup voltage and current, they basically required a truckload of both to get out of bed.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't real HID lights just way overboard extreemly expensive? I think they can be 10-20 times as expensive as halogen. One other possible drawback is the blueness of the light. I would think they would be real bad in fog (and rain/snow) as light on the blue end of the spectrum reflects off of fog and blocks vision while the amber color of fog lights cuts through. Of course you could shut off the HID lights and turn on fog lights when needed. Of course I don't know about the special requirements for driving in Australia - what with all those kangaroos jumping all over the place and those giant toads that eat mice and stuff...maybe HID light is just what's needed to see those things. There are simple bulb replacements that give brighter light. JC Whitney has quite a few.

links to JC Whitney -
HID lights: http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=158282&BQ=jcw2

other: http://www.jcwhitney.com/catsubpic.jhtml?CATID=3217&_requestid=16612

[ This Message was edited by: Smoothie on 2001-09-24 01:26 ]
swicks  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lights failed once, so I waited 10 hours and a big orange blob rose up above the horison and I didn't need to fix them until 12 hours later!

Seriously, I put some high watt bulbs in and my battery kept going flat so I reverted to standard bulbs.

Steve

Joes924  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2001 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha orange BLOB are you by way of chance talken about those kits on e-bay for like 40.00us..
I would like one of those ..
swicks  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Joes924, the orange blob was the sun. How are you making your car faster. A friend of mine has got his down to 940kg, but it has a smokey engine and isn't used much on the road.

I think losing weight is the quickest way to get power, but i wan't to keep mine comfortable.
Joes924  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it was the sun check out E-bay

they have hid light kits to adapt to the 924

it arrives with hollow glass light shells that have a fitting for the light bulb ..
it has 2 bulbs super 80 watt white light with bluw tints bulbs or something along there..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: