Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

How much for a new paint job? (Ballpark...)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cathy  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2001 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my car for over a year now and I am really happy with it, except I am noticing the paint seems to be chipping away in spots...I suspect that the paint was touched up, as there as areas on the nose that look uneven. Otherwise, the body is tiptop, no accident damage and only one or two little dings that it seems like I notice but no one else does.

So, how much for a good paintjob? Is it worth it? My paint is Alpine White (I have the code in my owners manual, which came with the car). Or should I just have it touched up in spots? It seems like where the paint is gone, it is black... this is noticeable in the door sills when the door is open. Am I giving rust a place to start?
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since no one responded to your question I will try. You can spend from $200 to 5000.
I painted two cars wihtin two years. I did all of the work myself, sanded chips, straighten dents, remove rust, decals, trim, glass, bumpers etc. We then sprayed the car in a driveway on a busy roadway. My track car came out very nice and I spent about $150 for paint. The second car my 79 931 we did the same thing. Did all the work myself and bought about $400 just for the paint. This spray job came out great. I guess we learn bit by bit. If I had to have all the work done it would have cost about $2500. A number of members on this list have seen the car and thought the paint looked great. They don't believe we painted it in the open air. Go to this list of owners cars and look under the 1977 year for the red car and the 1979 year for the turbo. The ccolor for the 931 is called Cassis or black cherry and is a 1980 911 color. Any questions please ask.
O cost for my labor. Prep took about 2 weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2001 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 13 years experience doing bodywork so I will give you some free advice that may help you decide. From how you descibe your car I wouldn't pay a shop more than $1200.00 to paint your car. I would expect the paint to be base coat clear coat or a high quality urathane product. I am using price referance in Canadian dollers since I live here. Paint and materials shouldn't exceed $550.00 leaving the rest of the cost to labour. It would only take 4-5 hrs to repair the stone chips and the couple of small dings you desribed. The rest of the car would only require masking,sanding and prep & painting. Now having said this I have had people call me to do jobs like this ...when the car arrived holy shit! Just remember this.. look around the wheel wells, in door jams,around the door handles,sun roof, any seems or joints for signs of rust because this will play a big role in costs. If you have rust around the sun roof lets say.. This requires alot of extra work in sandblasting ,repair and all that good stuff. Hope this helps you.
cathy  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince and Adam,
Thanks very much for the advice. My car has absolutely no rust (one day I will figure out how to post a picture of it). It was a California vehicle before it moved to the East Coast... I am the third owner. Before I owned the car it sat in a heated barn with a bunch of other Porsches and Corvettes, part of a collection owned by a dentist in my area. I am fastidious about its upkeep... it gets washed at least once a week, never goes on dirt roads, and the car cover goes on every night. It has a manual sunroof that I am glad to say does not leak (and I replaced all the hardware on it). The wheelwells are fine; when I drove it last winter I washed out the wheelwells twice a week. I have had the car up on a lift and the undercarriage is in very good condition. The only problems with the car are the dash (of course), the front seats (split along the seams), and I don't have a cold start valve (someone took it off and put a big bolt in its place... I am sure I will get to this eventually!). I will be relying on pros to do the paint (I am good at having maintenance done, but I don't know how to do much on my own other than oil changes, plugs, and filters).

Anyhow, thanks very much. Now to start saving my pennies...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a solid car well worth a paint job around the $1200 price range from a decent shop. When you get a chance post us a picture.
Marsh  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

From the 'For What It's Worth' column . . .

I bought a 924 for my daughter when she was 14. Together we rebuilt the brake master cylinder, got a ww motor from a junk yard and prepared the car for painting.

We had the car painted at Maaco and couldn't be happier. It cost about $300 (they're always having some sort of sale of other).

I am not, repeat NOT, good at paint prep work but I was able to do enough to get a good paint job for a good price.

Marsh
D Hook  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsh:

Can you fill us in on what you did for prep work? I'm thinking of a paint job in the future and am looking to maybe changing color. Did you remove parts like bumpers, outside mirrors, light pods, etc? Did the price reflect the prep work you did? Was the shop okay w/painting seperate pieces?
eturbo924  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I have been looking at this exact topic for a few years now. My car is by no means a rat. It does/did have a dent in the drivers and passengers rear quarters and the passenger front fender was slightly buckled by an impact with a very tough animal. Paint badly faded on hood and drivers door. Then the typical dings from careless people in parking lots.
I talked to many body shops over the last 2 years to find one I was comfortable with and that had the price I wanted. I also inspected a few cars that were painted at differing prices. The range in cost is from the Macco job of $300 to the real high quality job of $5000! Like I said I inspected many cars. Some for the $1200 reasonale cost and I was not at all satisfied. These would have been better had the owner preped the car a bit.... seals were painted over and some sections were not properly sanded so that chipped sections looked like ..well painted chipped sections.

Anyway long story short. I found a shop and a guy that I wanted to paint my car. I did some of the prep work myself and he agreed to take some cost out and then put the components back in for me. I removed the bumper pads, side moldings, mirrors, door trim and windows, nozzles, and a host of other things.

Paint job includes the repair of damage I have listed above, pulling out the windshield, removing the rear hatch and quarter windows, painting all the black trim around the windows satin black, and preperation of all pannels for base and clear coats. Of course replacement of those components also. The total cost of the paint and body work should be about $2150-$2200. Then there is all the new gaskets and such to add onto that. Who wants to put on 19 year old gaskets on a nice new paint job?

So this is the advice I herd from another owner of a shop. What do you plan for your 924? If you plan to have some fun with it and then dump it some day..... do some of the work yourself and let Macco shoot it for $300-$500. If you plan a restoration then step up and get a proper job for $2000-$2500. Make sure you list the issues you want addressed. I.E. windows out, seals off and such... no taping around windows... it never comes out right that way.

Sorry to be so long, but mine is in the shop right now and I am excited to see her when she is done! I have posted some pictures at my site of the begining of the job. More to come as the project progresses.

Oh by the way Vince your car does look great. I can barely paint a bracket properly so I would be terrified to paint an entire car.... Nice job!

Eric
http://www.geocities.com/eturbo924

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2001 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $300.00 I am curious what type of paint Macco used on your car. For that much I can barley buy the paint to paint a car. Did you get to choose any color you wanted or did you have to pick form a select few colors?
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2001 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Porsche 924 (see 1979 registry) cost $2500 to paint with full removal of all parts etc and reinstall. You can see the paint in the pic. It was a CRAPPY job, complete with fish eyes. Looks good from a distance, just don't look closely. Paint was not Porsche paint and was only $200 less than Porsche paint. My feeling is don't pay under $2500 US for a paint job unless you're just selling it to some schmuck that you don't like. Paint is one of those areas where you get what you pay for - so if you like your car and want it to look good years from now, put out the money.

http://www.924.org/register/registrypics/79maclaren.jpg

The paint from Porsche for a 924 or 924 turbo is $600 CDN which is around $350 USD.

The labour for a GOOD paint job from Porsche is $2500 USD, I know because I just had it priced by Porsche for my 931. I then went to a NON-PORSCHE shop and asked them how much ASSUMING FULL REMOVAL AND REINSTALL of all parts and components, rubber, plastics, and no overspray, he said $3000 USD. So even Porsche provides good value on paint and labour for their older cars.

My 931 Porsche has no rust or blemishes, just a little flake here and there. I decided, after I saw the estimate for my 931, that I liked it fine the way it was, though it needed shine.

I then talked to a German buddy of mine who has a Targa. He said to use a polish. So I grabbed a nice polish from Turtle and it gently brought back all the shine - three times. I touched up spots that needed it. The car looks great.

Don't use paint when it might just need attention.

[ This Message was edited by: Rick MacLaren on 2001-09-28 04:44 ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2001 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will definatly agree about you get what you pay for when it comes to paint. You may get a nice paint job from say enamel or acrylic enamel....but wait a year....where did the shine go..why is it faded so bad. I use BASF products and just a gallon of clear coat is $125 plus activator $90 then reducer $45. That doesn't include base coat which can be as high as $120 a qt. This is top of the line products....the show Classic Cars uses this product as well. For you do it yourselfers a point of advice.. use penny pinch when it comes to primer. This is just as important as the paint. Primer shrinks by the same % of reducer that is added to it. So if you use a laquer base primer that uses 40% reduction that is how much it shrinks. And if you prime your car tonight and paint it tomorrow the solvents haven't evaporated yet, but they will..leaving the impression of the work below in the paint. Hey Rick did you confront the shop about the fish eyes in the paint. When I ran my own shop I painted a car three times that was troublesome with fish eyes. I wouldn't dream of sending out a job like that. Since then I wash the car prior to entering the shop with a water soluable wax & silicone remover and never have the problem anymore.
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2001 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam, no I didn't confront the paint shop when I got the car back. The guys took 10 weeks to paint the car in the middle of summer. When I got it back I was so pleased to finally have my car and rid myself of some godawful SUV (from the insurance company) that I drove off without further talk.

Besides, I didn't know what a fish eye was then...I had to learn that from a friend who was kind enough to point them out months later!

[ This Message was edited by: Rick MacLaren on 2001-09-28 06:03 ]
larso  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2001 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it goes from maaco to maaco...you can get a bad guy and pay 3000 and get a job worth poo, or you can hit the luck and get a good guy at maaco for 300, IF you do the prep.
John Mueller  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2001 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was still in High School, I had the shop there paint my car as a project. I spent $350 USD in paints. Dupont Blue Metallic.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dupont makes a good product line, did you use the chromabase/clear system or Centari line. Either way you prove my point.... quality paint costs. You can't buy paint and have it professionally applied for $300.00 . Sorry guys if you had your car done @ Macco for that, you'll see down the road who was right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: