Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924 sucks vs 944?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timstar924  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: 924 sucks vs 944? Reply with quote

Just wondering what you guys who know 944s think of the 924 vs the 944 not just performance but which car is better in terms of the whole thing, maintenance, cost, handling, looks, engine etc. I'm not talking about 931s or the 951 just the 924n/a vs 944 n/a. I've heard from a lot of people that the 924 is generally not a liked car by porsche owners i've read posts by others that sayd that the 924 is a crappy car and is just a porsche badged audi and is a wannabe 944. I've also heard that the 914 is a way better car. i haven't driven my 924 long enough to hate or like it, i like it right now cus it has nice looks. what i don't really like is the engine, it is a very rough engine it doesn't sound nice too and doesn't sound like it has much power. I swear any early eighties vw engine is smoother and revs and pulls nicer. The interior is ok for an old car i don't mind it. Acceleration at least in my car sucks the engine is loud and sounds like i'm going fast but i get passed by toyota corolas. Again i think the engine doesn't have the right sound or feel.

what do you guys think about the 924 and why did you buy one?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rush out and buy some body armour before some of the other posters see this

Sounds to me like you've picked up a 924 that's in crappy shape and you're getting the wrong impression of the cars. 924 n/a does use a heavy raid on the audi/vw parts bin, but that just makes it very economical to maintain. The power isn't astounding by todays standards, but imho it is still good and the handling far outweighs the slightly slower acceleration.

The "it's an Audi" thing has been done to death, the only people who seem to use that argument are the ones who've never read the full story of how the 924 came about and for that matter how most of the other Porsches evolved.. There's probably more VW in a 911 than any other P-car!

Graphite? Grey Metallic '85 (late model) 944 2.5

There are two kinds of pedestrians: the quick and the dead.
JP Shelton  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Opinions are like navels Reply with quote

timstar924,

You asked: "what do you guys think of the 924, and why did you buy one"?

I'll play along with this, but first let me ask YOU a question: if you think of your car as little more than a gutless Audi that is too rough and too crude and too underappreciated by the vast majority of Porschephiles, then why did YOU buy one?

Now that we've got that out of the way, honesty dictates that I admit that I think the 944 is a better car than the 924, particularly if we're talking 85.5 and up for the former. With a 944, you get more power. The 2.5 litre Porsche "four" delivers that power smoothly, with none of the vibration normally associated with "big pot" fours, and with a tourque curve that is V-8 flat.

Other points in the 944's favor are four-wheel disc brakes, and the ability to accomodate wider rubber in the wheelhouses that you can squeeze onto a 924.

The 944 is often said to be the car that the 924 should have been, all along. That said, I don't like 944's very much, personally. Why? Becuase I was a teenager when Porsche came out with the 924, and I thought then (and still do) that it was one of the sexiest looking cars ever made. The "flared" fenders of the 944 make it look more masculine than the 924 and make it less aesthetically pleasing, in my view -much like the difference I see in the aesthetic appeal of an original "260" AC-Shelby Cobra vs. the "contrived", pregnant, bulbous look of the 427 SC version of that car that came out later.

While I'm spouting my opinions so freely, I'll add that the only car that Porsche ever made that I've had an all-consuming desire to own is the one that I wanted to buy back in '87 but couldn't quite afford -the 924S, which has the smooth and powerful 2.5 litre Porsche engine and the four wheel disc brakes of the 944 in the better looking and slightly lighter and more aerodynamic 924 body.

So I have a 924S now because I wanted one since they were new, I could afford to purchase one when I finally did a few years back, and I can afford to keep it maintained at the level that I want it maintained at.

The acceleration in my car definitely doesn't "suck". Sure, a late-model Mustang GT will out-accerate my old Porsche, but I've yet to find an unmodified one that will walk away from my 924S too badly, and when the road turns twisty, the average "Mustang Pilot" doesn't have a snowball's chance in hadies of staying in the lead. Yeah, my car is loud -thanks to the aftermarket exhaust installed by the PO- but I like the music that comes out of the pipe very, very much. It sounds like a sportscar, all the way from idle to the redline. I don't "get passed by Toyota Corollas" so I can't relate. However, I do get passed by V-8 Mustangs, Cameros, Corvettes, later model 911's, 928's, Dodge Vipers, Subaru WRX's, and even the occasional Ferrari, Lamoborgini, or Aston Martin. There's a kid in my neighborhood with a Honda that gives me fits every time he hits the nitrus oxide injection button, too.....

But so what? I bought what I think to be one of the best "GT" cars ever made because it suits my purposes better than anything else out there, new, old, or in between. I bought mine because there simply isn't any other car that I would rather drive.

So what do I think of the Porsche 924? I've never owned one or driven one, so I can't comment with any degree of usefulness, but I do think that I would miss the 32 horsepower advantage that the 924S has over the previous 2.0 liter car. I have driven several 911's, a couple of 928's, and a couple of 944's, and I still think the 924S is one of the best cars Porsche ever made.

It is most unfortunate that you don't enjoy your Porsche ownership experience nearly as much as I enjoy mine -or so it seems, based on what I got out of reading your post.

Perhaps you might want to consider parting with your 924? There are plenty of people out there who still appreciate those cars the way they are when well-sorted (or were when new), so you need not worry about it finding a good home.

-JP
kike924  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am always looking around for a 944 or 951 to buy but that doesnīt mean that Iīm planning to sell my 924 N/A.
Mine is a European version (1980) with 125 HP and a 5 speed, I have put it at more than 200 km/h at the highway and it has a nice acceleration.
You have to realize that in my country most guys that want a "sports car" buy little Renault Clios or Peugeot 206 or a fiat Uno and put on it a special steering wheel and a noisy after market exhaust and presto... they have a sports car.
Some of them even put special cams on them so that they can reach 185/190 kms/h.
So for Argentina my 924 is really a nice car ...
also I agree that the 924 is more beautiful than a 944 ( my dream car is a 1988 924S but they arenīt any here)
924martinirossi  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 924 is a fantastic car. Who cares if it out accellerated all the cars you mentioned. You shouldn't be racing on the streets. Vaughn races a 924 and does quite well on the track. The cars handle very well and are not costly to maintain. My first 11 Porsches were 924's, and that has been since Sept 97. I now regret selling my first one and that was the Martini Rossi. (seen here at the www.924.org). Although I now have two very nice 944s, if a 924 Martini Rossi comes my way I'd buy it and sell my 84.

Michael
84 944
85.5 944

11 other 924s, all gone
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first mistake you made was buying a 924. But, then so do people who buy MG, AH Sprites, Truimphs and all other cars under 2 liters that are old.

At the time they were built they were fair. The 911 guys looked down on the car. So what. If you could have afforded a better car then you should have bought them. You didn't. So now you want to knock a car that is old. Im old. But I can beat you in the hundred yard dash. I bet. Why? I tried to stay in shape. Other people do not, therefore they are losers. Maybe.

Be happy with what you have then or sell it. You will be happier. We, on this list love our cars as do the owners of the above cars and that is why we try to make them better.

A friend who bought a 80 924 for 2 hundred runs it unmodified at the MetroNY autocrossies and constantly takes first place. It is the handling and not so much the speed. I suggest you go to a couple of autocrosses and you will see underpowered cars beat high horsepower cars all day.

As I said be happy with what you have. I have owned my 77 924 since new. I track the car and love it when early 911 car owners say to me that they can not keep up or catch me. On the straights its whoosh and they are gone.

Do you think a MGB owner is saying his car is slow? He loves it for what it is.

I own a 79 Euro 931, 86 944, and also a 911. I still prefer the 77 924 as I have said in past postings if you care to check.

Sorry if I offended you. I have been married for 38 years and my wife certainly isn't as beautiful as she once was. I guess I have to shoot her. Still it is the best thing I have ever done and I will keep her and the 924.
88 924S SE
87 911 Targa stock
Paul  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time a "modern" "sports" car blows you off, tell him to come back with the same car in 20 years and try again.

A 1980 931 was tested against several cars by Car and Driver in 1980 including a Covette. The 931 won many of the tests and was close on the 0 to 60 times.

All cars of today are much faster than their counterparts of the 70's and 80's.

So another way of looking at it is, tell the "modern" "sports" car guy to come back with a 1978 version of his car.
924martinirossi  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear from you Vince! I'm thinking of selling my 84 944 (haven't drove it in three weeks). Mind you I'm just thinking. I stripped the car and done the body work and sent it in for painting. Rebuilt the brake calipers, stainless brake lines (DOT), Magacore wires, Weltmeister throttle cam, plugs, oiler cooler seals, exhaust nuts and studs, belts all done, dist.cap, front bearings, brake pads, CV joints, even hand painted the center caps and resprayed the Fuchs, KYB's on all four corners, and replaced all rubber seals, except the rear hatch seal. I also bought a chip from FRWilk and man!!! the car moves alot better with that extra 14hp. The car looks new and the engine compartment looks better than the 85. All this was done in the last 6 weeks. I also do autocross in this car and finally took a first place both days at an event three weeks ago and overall first place for stock C class.

I would certainly buy another 924 and I will if I find another one that needs attention.

Michael
84 944
85.5 NA
ZV  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think the 924 is underpowered, for god's sake don't even think about a 914. The 914 is surgically precise in the handling department and 'teeners can really, really tear it up at an autocross or on a curvy road. That said, they get their doors blow off by stock 1980's Civic DX's in the straight line.

As for the 924 vs 944 debate, the 944 is essentially an evolution of the 924. Bigger engine, heavier, "nicer" interior. Also much more expensive to maintain.

The 944 loses a bit of the 924's lightness and gives up some nimbleness, though the 944's wider rubber and wider track do give it slightly higher absolute limits.

I would say that a 924 fits in nicely between a 914 and a 944 in terms of the balance between civility / polish / practicality and pure go-cart feel. The 914 is a bit too crude and impractical for a daily driver anywhere that gets rough weather, the 944 is more refined, but loses some of the driving feel that a 924 has. A 944 is also worlds more expensive to keep in shape because of the whole timing belt bugaboo.

It all depends on what you want. If you want a rougher car that is only about cornering, get the 914. If you want some of that direct feel with a car that is more livable every day and don't want to dump money on maintenance, buy a 924. If you want a very civilized car with great balance but more straight-line power and can afford the more expensive up-keep then the 944 or 924S is what you should be looking at.

Aaron

1976 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driving Restoration.
1987 Porsche 924S - Daily Driver
timstar924  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have barely driven my 924 so i can't say yet if i like it or not. I bought my 924 for the same reasons stated above cus i have always liked porsche cars and i can't afford a old 911 or even a 944 because i heard the front end tuneup can cost 2 grand i could be wrong though. I like the looks of the 924, the driving postition, comfortable but i find the engine the weak part it doesn't sound right ( maybe cus of the hole in my mffler haha) and it felt definately slow the once that i drove it. I'm going to get in ont he road in 2 weeks after fixing the clutch pedal and new muffler. i personally think the 914 can look good but it doesn't look anything like a porsche in my opinion, i think it looks more like a little british car, i have never driven one so i have no idea how they drive. i have driven a 944 they aren't fast cars too but they are more smooth and less harsh than the 924 and the 85.5 interior looks modern.
timstar924  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh i forgot my car has the 110 hp north american version engine, the 95 hp engines must be way too underpowered. The european versions are probably quicker than mine because of the extra 15 hp.
Neil924  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bias. Why can't the thread title be changed to 924 vs. 944?

Last edited by Neil924 on Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
ZV  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timstar924 wrote:
i personally think the 914 can look good but it doesn't look anything like a porsche in my opinion, i think it looks more like a little british car, i have never driven one so i have no idea how they drive.

You're right that the 914 doesn't really look like a Porsche. It doesn't really look like anything. And to be honest, the only 924-derived car that looks even vaguely Porsche-like is the 968. The 924 and 944 can easily be mistaken for a first or second generation RX-7 respectively. That's not saying that I don't like the nice clean lines of the 924 and 944, but they just don't look "Porsche-like" to me. They're handsome cars, but at times they are almost generically so. The 914 has a delightful weirdness to it.

And if you've never driven a 914, I can tell you right now what it's like. It's like holding a tie-rod in each hand. The steering is amazingly direct and communicative. I've driven BMW's and even the famous BMW steering feel cannot touch the 914's. That said, shifting on a good 914 is slightly vague, and on a bad 914 shifting can be like stirring a thick soup, no real definition anywhere in the pattern. Such is the consequence of having a shift linkage that runs almost 2/3 the length of the car.

And aside from the 914/6's which are sitting in the $15,000 area today the most powerful 914 had all of 95 hp. Even the 6's had only 110 in stock form.

The 914's engine also sounds (and feels) like a Volkswagen engine. It's an air-cooled flat four. Basically it's a tweaked VW Microbus engine. Given your reaction to the 924, I can pretty much guarantee that you would _not_ like a 914 and I would recommend that you just stay away from them and save yourself the time and trouble. This coming from a guy who should be singing the 914's virtues since he's being forced into selling his.

Aaron

ZV  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5150 wrote:
There's probably more VW in a 911 than any other P-car!

Just don't point that out in the middle of a Porsche concours.

Sleykin  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or make the mistake of saying "I had a Karman Giha once" In a group of 356 owners ... unless ya walk away as the war begins
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: