Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924 convertible (scuuze me, "Cabriolet")

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back around 1992 there were ads appearing in the back of European Car magazine in the US for a 924 convertible kit by a company in Charleston, SC called "European Road & Racing". I took an interest and called the number and asked for a brochure and ordered a video tape showing the conversion process. It's very detailed, showing how to jack up the car and where to support it to put a certain amount of upward arc on the chassis, where to cut the roof and how to weld structural supports along the inner bottom sides. The kit sold for $2700 and included the structural pieces, roof frame and fabric top, rear trunk lid, gaskets caps, clips, etc. Well, the tape which cost about $20 arrived in good time, but; the brochure never showed. I called again and asked about the brochure. Whoever I spoke with seemed like a nice enough fellow. He said that it was a common problem that the brochures didn't make it through the mail because they were soooo nice. I guess the pictures were just so pretty that the mailman would just have to have them for himself. I said well ok, why not stick them in an envelope and mail them that way? Anyway, I finished that phone call with the understanding that another brochure was on its' way. It never did show either. In all my years, those were/are the only pieces of mail to or from me that I can recall being lost. Staggering odds. I guess those pictures were so pretty, the mailman could see them right through the envelope, right? I just dropped the whole conversion idea at that point - if they couldn't get a brochure to me, I wasn't going to trust them with $2700 of my money and to get a hundred pounds or whatever of parts to me. Just wondering if anyone was familiar with this company and were they legitimate. The kit was from Germany and was called Bieber Cabriolet with the address: Bieber Cabriolet GMBH, Landwehr 62, 4280 Borken/Westf.
Diesel  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$2700? What a gyp! And why bother anyway?
larso  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

convertibles never handle or hold up as well and are noisy on highway, but good for recreation and slow driving around town if it's hot, i never understood why most of the 911s were bought as targas since 911s are supposed to be performance guru cars...but.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: