Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924 V8 on the road...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porver9two4  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: 924 V8 on the road... Reply with quote

After much blood, sweat and tears, i finally got my 924 V8 through the roadworthy/MOT at the weekend!.....yeehah! .....as you probably gathered i am a happy bunny!
Now the fun can begin and i can start shaking it down in preperation for 'upgrades' .......
Initial runs prove it is entertaining with a capital 'E'...not blisteringly quick (although i am spoilt by my daily hack), but plenty quick enough and that noise....... ..ooh yes. It appears the rear tyres will only last a month or so - a limited slip diff, rear wheel drive and oodles of torque are laying waste to the rubber double time and its pretty scary in the wet!

For those that are interested, the upgrade is:-
924S, with Rover (Buick) 3.5l V8 shoe-horned in (robbed from a Range Rover), mated to Rover manual bell-housing with adaptor plate to Porsche Torque Tube, tubular stainless manifolds, Edelbrock Performer inlet manifold with Holley 390 Vac 4-barrel carb, custom propshaft to 944 Turbo gearbox......plus all the fiddly other bits like Rover engine instruments, home brewed radiator fan, Mk2 Golf power steering pump, rewired rev counter, re-worked brake linkage etc.

Here are some photos for you to enjoy....

Chrenan  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,

Looks good, very clean and professional installation by the looks of the engine bay.

Now please, do us all a favour. The next time some clown posts on how they want to jam engine X into a 924, please post and tell them how difficult it is and how much work is involved. People seem to take the topic of engine swaps too lightly sometimes...
Max`  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonjour !

I can't believe it...
You did it !
Damn, it must be terrifying !
Good stuff !

Max.
timstar924  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, nice, the 924 must pull nicely with that v8....
jamez  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right on, looks good
Porver9two4  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been a long time since i updated this thread! In the meantime i have been tweaking and enjoying my 924S V8... on my second set of rear tyres As a progress report, it has been a totally succesful conversion... reliable, huge amounts of fun and pretty easy to drive (unless its wet, when it has to be treated with a HUGE amount of respect).
Mechanical upgrades have been limited to removing the power steering completely and switching to a manual 944 steering rack which has improved the feel of the steering alot and removed the old mix-match power system which i was never totally happy with and i have also ditched the carb and switched to fuel injection - a vast improvement for useability and economy. This is what it looks like under the hood now.....

There are still more modifications to come... am working on getting all the engine bits under the bonnet line so i can run a standard bonnet and look completely standard from the outside and there is a larger / more powerful engine on the workshop floor waiting to go in once i have finished fiddling with the FI. Watch this space (eventually! plenty of other things happening at the same time!).
turbobob9242  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: re rover transplant Reply with quote

EXCELLANT JOB!
endwrench  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed! It looks like you were able to use a stock type injection setup. Not as easy as some make it sound.

Todd
Adie  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: HOW would you like..... Reply with quote

A stainless steel top hose from the thermostat housing to the rad and a stainless steel pipe that comes from the water-pump around the rocker and connects to the original interior heater for the grand price of shipping. I'm clearing out my old junk and have come across a bag of the pipes I had made. if your interested I'm still on the old e-mail or drom me a PM and I'll can send you pictures of them.

If this doesn't work.
P.S. I have lost the information you posted once about how you did the tach, could you send me the details.
Cheers
turbobob9242  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything new on this cool swap?
Porver9two4  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbobob9242 wrote:
Anything new on this cool swap?

Nothing spectacular i am afraid I have been working very 'on and off' on the plenum and have it all machined up now - i just need to trial fit it all and finish off the welds etc. before fitting it up. I have been starved of workshop time having found/bought/sold and moved house... with all the associated D.I.Y. packing and hen-pecking that comes with it!!
I can report that the Porsche still pushes all the right buttons though and is being used pretty regularly - no other glitches have come up, it just does what it says on the tin! I have sourced a set of 928 Teledials with the 52 offset which should allow me to get more rubber under the arches... but i quite like the entertainment of having the skinnier rubber at the moment!
NO RISK NO FUN  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: adaptor plate Reply with quote

just wondering how u fitted motor to gearbox?any problems with clutch etc?was thinking of doing it but told v8s are about 135/150bhp and 924turbo 170/200bhp so have turbo motor now..
wharris1178  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to put a V8 in my 924 also, where do i begin, who sells the kit?

I want a corvette engine in mine like a 327.

Porsche, there is NO substitute. If you can afford one, lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: