Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Urban oil myth?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: timbercroft@sympatico.ca
Date: 24 Jul 2001
Time: 19:52:02

Is there any basis to the rumour that mixing oil types is harmful? As in going
from petrol-based to synthetic and back again. It would seem odd seeing that
they have blends out there. I seem to get better fuel consumption with synthetic
but use more oil in the process. I lost, virtually, no oil with my '78 when I used
regular Castrol. DWAK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: rick.maclaren@home.com
Date: 25 Jul 2001
Time: 10:29:03

Dwak,
I was on my way down to New York state with an engine in the front seat...stopped at a gas station and bought some Mobil1. The attendants said "You can't mix synthetic with regular oil".
I asked them "What's the basis for that?" and they just looked at me so I said "Why not?". They replied "Our boss said that the oil company said they can't be mixed". Ha ha...
Then I read the label on the Mobil1 container and it read "Compatible with regular oil" or words to that effect. I read it out loud to them. The attendents just looked at me really stupid-like. Heh heh. YES you can mix the oils.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: apple_Bit@mac.com
Time: 12:30:05

There are a few different types of synthetic oil. The natural oil and synthetic you can mix without a problem.

If you mix pure synthetic with regular oil the oils _SHOULD NOT_ be mixed because they actually work very differently inside your engine.

If you want to use pure synthetic, change the entire oil and filter.

If you want to use natural oil (sounds like I am baking) then you _should_ stick with natural oil

If you want to use a mix, you can change over but again you should just change the oil and filter at the same time to avoid any issues.

- Jon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: l_porsche@hotmail.com
Time: 12:43:14

just some hands on experience with oils, walmart tech 2000 or crappy tire oil, cheapest oil in the store, has been used on all our cars, never had to do and engine rebuild or valve seals, never burnt a drop of oil (these aren't porsches tho)

cars all have 200K plus kilos on them, one has 160K kilos

Changing the oil every 3-4 months and buying 4 litre bottles worth CDN$3.00/4litres, and it isn't luck cuz we've had at least 5 cars, one bought brand new in 90, first oil change was tech 2000 by me and dad all the way until today.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: DHook65857@aol.com
Date: 26 Jul 2001
Time: 07:41:39

Why did you have an engine doing in the front seat? There has GOT to be a funny answer to this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: mikeybain@home.com
Date: 26 Jul 2001
Time: 11:22:06

I know why...cause there was no room under the hood...He already had an engine in there...hehe

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: