Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Drilled Air Box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark CSC  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got my hands on a spare air box cover and have heard various reports about performance gains when drilling it. Anybody done it and what happened?
Also how many holes should I drill and where?

If you think this is a stupid idea please tell me.

Ta

Mark

PS It's great having the new board
larso  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it would be better to take a big tube and run it somewhere like maybe in one of the fog light holes, remember that there is heat in your engine, I am not sure but maybe drilling holes would allow more hot air to go into your engine than the stock system, some dude sut up his air box on the 924NA and he lost performance, if u go to http://www.924.org and search through the info.

Cutting holes might not work as just having one big huge opening? if you think about it on the exhaust system...if you put holes in the pipes all over it would suck right, i think it would not be as harsh on the intake, but a similar effect?

Cutting up air box makes a nice sound always...psychologically it feels like you have more power, same with all the K and N young bolt on power 944 fanatics i see on the internet with no REAL mods.
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't do it.

The only thing that will happen will be more intake noise and possibly an undetectable drop in power because once you cut the elephant trunk off you're sucking air from higher in the engine bay where the air is hotter.

The reason for the snorkle, apart from reducing noise is to suck air from a low, relatively cool position. If you must do something, extend the snorkle to somewhere outside the engine bay.

The PO of my NA hacked the snorkle off the airbox and it took me forever to get motivated to replace it. I made a custom pipe from 3" pvc waterpipe which points forward, epoxied in place and painted black. Looks good, reduced the noise and made no difference in performance al all.
Mark CSC  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys

I won't do it now.

Mark
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out my website to make a cold air intake system...

Plus, it's kewl

Porsche 924 Wide Body LS1 Corvette 500 Horsepower Engine
numbers  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have cut the front out of a spare lower box on my 931 so that the air from three of the four hood vents flows directly into the box. This should be cooler air than what you will pick up with a low hose type pick up because of the heating from the asphault. I have been running it this summer, and haven't noticed any real improvement.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a good idea actually. Back in the 60s and 70s, everyone was into ram air, and hood scoops and so on. Some of it actually works. I was on an Aussie website, and they used a pressure switch hooked up to a hose to measure high pressure areas for mounting intakes. What they found was the only real pressure zones high enough to make a difference are at the front of the car. Hood scoops won't do anything for induction, but the air inlets on 931s are just about the right spot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: