Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Pelican Parts Discouragement
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2001 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: apple_bit@mac.com
Date: 17 Jul 2001
Time: 18:37:01

ok guys read this. The name has been left confidential. This is my first time dealing with this company am very disappointed they did not give me prices and the obvious view of the 924... I don't care about cost- I could have boughten a Boxster... Just wish I could make it to every PCA event around the country and get these other Porsche owners an idea that any car can go fast- and the 924 can be built better than a 944! :-P

just venting....

:-)

<From Pelican Parts>

To buy the parts new would cost you more that the car is worth; same for the wheels. I just seen the an auction for this on ebay yesterday and
that is one of the better ideas. You could also scrap the brakes off a early 944, but you'll need most the suspension to go with it. You could
also buy aftermarket brakes but you would have to engineer the system yourself. The stock brakes are plenty good for auto-x and if your having
problems you may want to re-evaluate your your problem. Let me know if you have any other questions.

<>><signature was here><<>

>
> Hello,
>
> I am in need to upgrade my brakes in my 924 from
> disc/drum to all disc. I autocross this car and
> don't want any more problems with my brakes.
> If you have available these parts let me know!
> I also need the rims too (8 total!)
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jon
>
> Jon McCullough @ www.come.to/924.org
> Minnesota Autosports Club @ www.mnautox.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2001 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: jfurst81@hotmail.com
Time: 18:56:01

<ok guys read this. The name has been left confidential. This is my first time dealing with this company am very disappointed they did not give me prices and the obvious view of the 924... I don't care about cost- I could have boughten a Boxster... Just wish I could make it to every PCA event around the country and get these other Porsche owners an idea that any car can go fast- and the 924 can be built better than a 944!
just venting....>

Sounds like they're just trying to save you money! If you bought every single piece from Pelican Parts, they'd charge you something like $2000-$3000. I don't know about you, but I hate throwing money away. They gave you good advice. Get the brakes off of a 944 or 5-bolt 924. Replace the parts that need replacement. There are 944's being parted all over the place. You just need to spend time looking around. The brake conversion on my '80 924 cost me around $500, including wheels, new pads, turned rotors, rebuilding the calipers, and steel brake lines, while selling my old wheels.

A side note: "Boughten" isn't a word.

Jon Furst
'81 931/951 intercooler project

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2001 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: l_porsche@hotmail.com
Time: 20:32:51

Dats thu bestest crection i herd in mi lyfe!

As a side note:

"944's" is used, for example, to show that the "944" would own something.
It is not used in that nature to pluralize an object.

"944s" is the proper way of pluralizing "944".
Then of course, when you write "924s", does that mean 924S? No, because it's a SMALL "s" when we pluralize nouns.

Gosh dis is getin sily mi frend.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2001 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: jfurst81@hotmail.com
Time: 20:57:02

<"944's" is used, for example, to show that the "944" would own something. It is not used in that nature to pluralize an object.

"944s" is the proper way of pluralizing "944". Then of course, when you write "924s", does that mean 924S? No, because it's a SMALL "s" when we pluralize nouns.>

I could be wrong here, but...

http://www.english.udel.edu/wc/handouts/using_apostrophes.html#3

Jon Furst
'81 931

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2001 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: mikeybain@home.com
Time: 21:25:39

I'm sure he wasn't out to slam you or your 924...I hope...I agree with you Jon...It is not about financial gain...Let's be honest, we didn't get into the 924 game to make money...I'm sure the person you were talking to was trying to give you the advice he thought was best...Having said that I find the 924 is addictive and a passion...The car I spend all my time on is not even my own; it's my sons...but I really like the car...IT IS FUN...Personally during this rebuilding process I didn't have a limit in mind to do the job right...The object wasn't to make a profit...

We are just finishing the brake conversion, along with the just about everything else, and I would recommend it...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2001 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time: 22:05:17

hrm...ok great, and how would you show ownership with plural 944's?

Let's pretend I have 3 944's.

My 944's' rear ends have black bumpers or

My 944s' rear ends have black bumpers

English sucks. Period.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2001 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: vscott77@nospam.hotmail.com
Date: 18 Jul 2001
Time: 08:25:51

I'd agree, you're far better off to buy the parts used and replace only the wear items, as we've written in the Tech Section - bearings, pads, rotors, and hoses. For components, you won't need rear suspension components, only the brake components including handbrake cable; the front you will need the uprights(spindles) as well.

If anything, just rebuild the calipers yourself, cheap to do ($20 each).

Vaughan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2001 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: rick.maclaren@home.com
Time: 08:55:41

What percentage of braking is done by the rear brakes? Somewhere between 10% and 20%. Typically rear braking bias is appropriate for slolam or autocross events. I would NEVER set up my car for a rear disc package for normal city and highway driving cause I simply don't need it.

Early 911's had all drums. Your drum/disc combination will stop you just fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2001 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: pholiat@aol.com
Time: 09:45:23

Just to put my $.02 here. I have the disc/drum combo on my '84 924 that I have used for the last two years for DE. I have not had a problem stopping. In fact, my instructors have all told me that I brake to late (what do they expect driving a 924 against 951s and 911s --I have to brake late because that is the only way I can catch up to everyone else). The disc/drum setup is VERY good. Don't get me wrong, the disc/disc setup is better, and for people with full 924 racers this is the setup to go with. BUT, if the drums are adjusted properly AND you practice threshold (sp?) braking, you can stop exceptionally well with the stock setup. This is what I recommend.
1) Make sure the adjusting star screw (or whatever it’s called on the rear drums) is free of rust, gunk, crap, etc and is properly lubed with anti-seize. Replace if necessary
2) Adjust the star screws until the rear wheels do not turn (car raised up in the rear with jack stands -goes without saying).
3) Back off the adjusting star screws on both left and right sides evenly just enough so that the wheel can turn but not too freely. You do not what the wheel to spin, rather make about one revolution when you try and give it a good spin. You may have to try this a few times because the degree of movement is hard to explain.
4) Practice threshold braking. My recommendation is to buy a book on this subject, but in a nutshell, threshold braking is when you apply the brakes forcefully (say 70% force before lock up) and gradually but quickly continue to apply force (say until 95% before lock-up). Practice this by driving down a straight, clean, deserted street and mark a point of reference on the street (say a tree, lamp post, cow) and hit your brakes (about 70% force) and continue to apply force until you stop but do not lock up. Measure distance it took to stop. Repeat next time using more force. Measure distance. Repeat using more braking force. You will begin to feel your car and what braking force you can apply before locking up your brakes and your braking distance will significantly decrease.
Just remember that the drums have to be properly adjusted. I adjust the star wheel before the DE event so that the shoes are very close to the drums. You will wear out the shoes quicker, but you will also stop better and shoes are cheap to replace.

-Peter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2001 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time: 10:44:42

I have driven many cars....my 931 stopped without locking the brakes up with drums at the back discs at front very impressive when I slammed on the brakes at 80MPH.

But, I have driven cars with discs all around, and cars with 4 pistons brakes at teh front, 2 piston brakes at the back.
For feel, sensitivity, and wonderful braking, i just love the disc brake setup with 2 piston disc brakes at the back, and four piston brakes at the front. Much more comfortable to drive, not as mushy. Discs all around with 2 pistons, not as good as teh 4 piston at front setup, but better feeling than drums at the back.
I for one, do not downshift/heel and toe, because it is a waste of time and a waste of engine (wears your engien down).
Slamming on the brakes before a turn and matching the engine speed with yoru appropriate gear is the way to take a turn. You don't see F1 drvers downshifting and using the engine to brake, that is a silly thing to do. Downshifting is hard on your transmission, engine, differential, engine mounts, clutch, etc. Brake pads are a helluva lot cheaper to replace than piston rings! Use your brakes! If you have proper brakes, they do the job wonderful. If you have drums, they can do the job ok, but they don't feel as great, there response is not good, and in the long run they do not stop as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2001 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: apple_Bit@mac.com
Time: 11:36:52

Hey! Quit picking on me! I wrote the dictionary :-P

heh

thanks for all the opinions and thoughts guys... I just have given up on my current brakes and that's why I am going to all disc... I need it with the transfer of weight I __LOVE__ to do when autocrossing... and these brakes fail every year and I invest a few hundred each year... that is why I am going to a new setup... besides... it's worth $1300 to have the tire held up when you are changing tires rather than try to line up the wheel and put bolts through it...

I spent hundreds just so I wouldn't have to raise the hood between runs at events (BIG COOLING SYSTEM!) and since then have not had a problem since...

yes, I do over-kill on stuff-- but that's when I know I have more than I need... and the brakes are just another part of my over-kill :-)

Now- horsepower is a different story.... I can never over kill on that ;-)

- Jon McCullough @ http://www.come.to/924.org

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: ponzv@aol.com
Date: 20 Jul 2001
Time: 09:00:08

I too have been DEing with the disc and drum setup and have not had any problems even braking at 118 mph at the long Bridgehamton track. Some squirm was eliminated with the addition of the 944 wing. Downforce.
I spoke to Jim Pasha about this years ago and he said to keep the discs refreshed and the drums tightened. No problem ever.
Sorry to say that I blew the engine this week at Summit Point. Gradually louder pinging after a run got to be a clacking like a diesel. Oh well I had fun for 25 min out of a two day event. A good friend towed me home while I drove his car.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time: 16:53:08

if u actually win the races with drums then you're the man, but....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: david.c.russell@lmco.com
Time: 17:08:01

better than that other language you have up there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time: 17:28:11

at least "the other language people" have an F1 race track.

At least "the other language people" have a person representing our country in F1 racing.

I don't see any american getting top ten spots in F1 races.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: