Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924LT1 Kit - May be available this summer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darin81T  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: 924LT1 Kit - May be available this summer Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Since I've put up my 924LT1 website (www.content2drown.com/924LT1) I've had numerour people ask me about all the details. It seems there are quite a few people who want to do the V8 conversion.

So, I'm considering building a basic kit. The kit would consist of all the custom fabricated parts that are needed. e.g. Motor mounts, torque tube to bellhousing adapter plate, and throwout bearing retainer. It would also contain a detailed parts list and a building guide. I haven't decided a price yet, because I need to figure out my cost first. But they will be under $500. The builder will need basic mechanical skills to put it all together and would need to modify the torque tube (ie shorten the outside tube and weld the adapter plate to it). This kit will make V8 conversions much easier and quicker.

Now I just need to know how many people would be interested in such a kit. If we have enough people we'll get started on it soon. If not, I am also considering just writing up a construction guide with detailed drawings and dimensions(I'm a mechanical engineering student, so the plans would be good quality) and selling them for maybe $25 a piece.

Let me know what you all think.

Darin Flynn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
wdb  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not knowing the details of how hard/involved it would be ,I dont know whether I would want the plans or a kit . hmm , maybe some pics or more details to help us decide which would be best for our individual time/money/skill we have available . are the chevy v8 and v6 interchangable ( same bellhousing bolt pattern ), in case some are looking for a little lighter wieght or better gas milage etc . hows the manual brakes holding up ,what/hows that work anyway .just remove vacuum booster,put it back together ? lotsa questions ! rpms at 60 mph . is the body twisting under the torque load , old gremlin v8 conversions had a problem with that , I guess a cage would help that ,if it were a problem .
crazyinkc  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in the plans. I have been pondering a 4.3 conversion or a SuperCoupe 3.8. I have a spare torque tube and plenty of engines to mock up something for the torque tube but if you already have done it I would be happy to pay for your info.
Darin81T  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

i'm not sure if the bellhousing bolt pattern is the same for the V6 and V8, I'll check into it though. I will also check the RPMs at 60mph this weekend, when I get a chance to drive it again. The body doesn't seem to twist at all, but we are only running a stock LT1 motor, I have no idea how it will handle something with more power, but hopefully I will know soon.

As far as the difficulty between the kit and the plans... It's going to be a very involved process either way. It's definitely not a weekend job. The kit would cut down the time quite a bit, though. I'd say the kit would save at LEAST 25 hours worth of work. I was trying to estimate the cost to make each kit, and I can't remember exactly what everything cost. But it's probably around $150 for the parts, powder coating, machining, etc.

I was originally planning on just making the plans, but I figured since I already have motor mounts and everything else built, I could just copy those fairly easily and save other people some time. But it's also going to be a pain in the ass for me, so I don't want to do it for nothing.

It's still going to be a couple of months before I can do all this stuff though, I'm in college and I won't have a lot of free time until summer break. This weekend I'll take lots of pictures of everything and put it up on my webpage so you guys can have a better idea of what's involved in the conversion.

Later,
Darin Flynn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the V6 and V8 chev have the same bell housing bolt pattern.

It is possible to have power brakes as well with some work.

With a kit I would want to have all the sorces for any parts needed such as radiators, alternators and brakets..etc. It's a long list of parts needed to do a proper job? The mounts and bell housing was easy!

1978-#53 "D" track racer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Darin81T  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're exactly right, PorsChev. One of the hardest things was figuring out what parts to buy. If I make the plans, the majority of it will be a parts list. The motor mounts and bellhousing aren't too hard to do, but it would certainly make the job a lot easier if they were pre-made. The thing about the kit is that you'd still have to shorten the torque tube. It's not hard to do, the actual shaft remains stock length, but the outside tube has to be cut shorter and then an adapter plate welded on to it that matches up to the bell housing.

So far it sounds like most people would be more interested in the plans than a kit.

I'll start writing up a parts list and some basic instructions soon.
To draw up the pictures, I'd like to use solidworks, but I don't have a licensed copy of it. Does anyone know of a freeware cad program(doesn't have to be solid modeling, 2D will work)?

Darin
wdb  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about the power brakes , I saw a tv show that swapped in a big motor to an old pickup , forget the details , but the had an adaptor for the vacuum booster , basically it pushed 1 side of the vac booster out at about a 45 degree angle so it would clear the valve cover , at the time I looked hard for the supplier ,but wasnt able to find them . there werent any close up pics of how the rod was hinged to allow the angled booster .

also I remember someone making custom aluminum torque tubes ,maybe search for the thread , and see how much they charge ,as an optional source for a custom tube, for those concerened about the wieght of a bigger motor .
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darin,

I will buy the kit if the price is around $500 and includes everything it takes to drop in a v8...

- Jon

Porsche 924 Wide Body LS1 Corvette 500 Horsepower Engine
wdb  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much trouble ya think it would be to use the all aluminum 32 valve V8 from a 96 lincoln .instead
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*BUMP

So you still interested in making the kit?

Darin81T  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like there's probably not enough interest for the kit. But I will still probably make a parts list and plans.

It wouldn't be any harder to put in the Lincoln engine, provided that it would fit in the engine bay.
sickboy14  

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

put me down for a kit man, and instructions....

If you get the plans to me, I could see if the shop my roomate works at would make some of these kits for you. They're good fabricators, and have the ability. They just need to know what to make...

IMO you should make this kit. I would take on in a second. I'd kind of prefer a carbbed setup (for ease), but if there's instructions for the LT1 wiring and everything, it's 150$ worth the price...
speedsta2003  

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about an LS6 kit? Please!
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want that kit. That *WILL* be my next major upgrade.

US924s  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WDB the booster should be easy to find. Most of the time they are offset with a bellcrank pushrod assembly. If your serious about finding one I can look through my aftermarket chevy pickup catalogs. I did a similar swap to a 1953 chevy pickup. I believe I got the booster assembly from Fatman.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: