Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

gt body panels

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cleethorpes  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: gt body panels Reply with quote

Picked up my new series 2 turbo yesterday.

The 300 odd mile drive home was great, apart from the snow, ice and a slight mixture problem (a few miss fires, and a leaky gasket somewhere!)

Must thank david and his wife for their hospitality, and I have to say he was about the nicest person you could possibly buy a car from!

David had the gt panels fitted by club autosport in the uk in 1995 for the princely sum of £3345 ! I would hope that they have bucked up their ideas as the quality of the fitting is very, very poor with only the front wings being(in my opinion)well fitted.

Luckily with the car I got a good deal of spare panels (rear gt fenders from gt-racing in the states, a 944 turbo front bumper with new lights and indicators, a new gt front bumper, a turbo style rear splitter to name but a few!).

The rear wing extensions have been crudely screwed on (apparently this was the accepted old method?) with screws which seem to be made of a special grime and crap attracting material.

When fitting the wings they just bolted them on and didn't carry out the mods to the original wings so the wheels rub when cornering hard.

Pardon my french but the bonnet scoop is shit!. Again badly fitted with the same crap screws and they haven't cut the bonnet so the scoop is doing nothing, other than causing a great deal of drag I imagine.

Don't get me wrong I love the car, and my other 924 (na) will be sold as their really is no comparison. The gt also has a newly trimmed interior so that will be stripped and put into my 924 prior to sale. Gonna get recaro buckets(or maybe bucket) as I intend to race when finished.

Unbelievable to think this car is 22 years old when I could keep up with an m3 on the bendy roads even with all the panels etc in the back!

Bit long winded this so better get to the point.

When cutting the rear wings back, does anyone know of a web site that details the procedure or is it just a case of offering up the extensions, drawing a line then air sawing ?

What should be applied to the cuts to protect them after cutting?

cheers to anyone who can help...or be bothered to read all this....
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cut them and either weld them back together, or rivet them back together (which is what I did). If you want to see it done, check out my website:

http://www.alexroy.net/931bodykit.html

I cut them and left flanges so I could hammer them so there wasn't a sharp metal seam. I also used this flange to rivet in a new wheel well I fabbed up out of aluminum....the wheel well is optional.
cleethorpes  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the info.

Will probably go with the cut, rivet seal route to....

Intercooler wise am not too sure.
Sadly missed out on an original gts front mount cooler on ebay a week or so ago. Gonna keep my eye out for anything similar. I know the rx7 cooler can be modified, but I simply don't have the tools or the means for that kind of fabrication....
-nick  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

951 usually go for ~$150 at the swap meets. Are these that different from the front mount GT intercoolers? From what I hear, they are quite efficient.

-nick
cleethorpes  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have heard the 944 item is pretty small.

If poss would prefer to fit a larger item, though am not sure at this point whether or not I need to. Will be looking to squeeze out around 250bhp in total so the 944 may well be adequate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: