Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

SWAP THE OLD 924 ENGINE FOR A 968 ENGINE?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krispy  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: SWAP THE OLD 924 ENGINE FOR A 968 ENGINE? Reply with quote

I am interested to hear if people have had any luck swapping a 924 engine with an engine from a 968. I still love my '77 924, but I would like to put some pep back in her step. Any info; pictures, links, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Lizard  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is what it entails

converting the cross member to a 944/924S cross member and then the engine will bolt right in, however with the extra power you will need a 944 torque tube and tranny,

then the only other thing you are going to have trouble with is wiring, you will have to have the computer and run all the wires and convert te guages to work,
krispy  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any reputable sources to find some these items. Ideally I would like to grab them from one car, but if not do you have any suggestions? I have used Malahat salvage from Vancouver Island a couple of times, but presently there are no 968 in stock. Living in Calgary provides sometimes a shipping nightmare.

If you have a list of good places to shop that would be great. Again thanks!
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, how much money are you willing to spend?
Paul  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were going to attempt this, I would buy a totaled 968 rather than trying to buy the parts individually. The parts list is almost endless.

You must use the 968 bell housing. so you will need to install a clutch slave and master. Might as well install the whole drivetrain front to rear.
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys sure the engine will just bolt in? Does the firewall have enough room?

Otherwise, it would be awesome to put a 968 in the 924. The 924 weighs in almost 1000 lbs less- your car will accelerate to 60 in less than 5 seconds and just be incredible....

Porsche 924 Wide Body LS1 Corvette 500 Horsepower Engine
Roral  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More then likely you would have to Beef up the suspension also. Like it was said in a post earlier, getting a salvage car, and using it for parts would be your best bet. (then afterwards you would part out the interiour to 944 users.

Steve

1985.5 944 India Red, Chip, K&N
Latka  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any ideas on how one would aquire a salvage 968?

I think it's a pretty awesome idea. It sounds like a *lot* of work, but the end result would be very, very, very cool.

How much do you folks think the swap would cost (in parts)? I've seen a few people comment on it, but it only seems to be "how much do you want to spend?"

-Andy
(Out in Hawaii where I think I've seen ONE 968)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: