Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924 SEBRING?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: mc924wham@hotmail.com
Date: 26 May 2001
Time: 22:34:09

I have just noticed i am one of the two owners of 924 '79 SEBRING that were imported to my country, Argentina.
What does this model (Sebring) has in particullar? Personally, i don`t see any diference from other 924s.
Any suggestion would help. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: Eric.lynch@Itt.com
Date: 26 May 2001
Time: 23:29:12

The Sebring was introduced to celebrate Porsches victory in the "World Championship of Makes" along with some other international and national championships. Only 1400 of them were produced and they were for the American shores. Guess a few made them over to where you are.

The Sebrings other than the paint, decals, tartan interior treatments and red carpet these cars were loaded with equiptment that was otherwise optional on the standard 924. Other things worth noting cars were that they had standard front and rear anti roll bars, not found on lesser 924s. There was no power increase for these cars.... or the Martini & Rossi.

Eric

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2001 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Date: 27 May 2001
Time: 13:18:53

Thanks Eric, the car was imported from the USA, as you say. It does have the red carpets and seats.
Still on the track!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: vscott77@nospam.hotmail.com
Date: 28 May 2001
Time: 08:34:01

Actually, the key thing they did have was the 5-lug brakes (vented discs all around) - this is key for me as it's the homologation for these brakes so that I can use them on my car in SCCA...

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time: 13:01:16

mmm...sure 5 lug and vented discs all round?
Mine has only 4 lugs, and the common drums at the back. Then its not a Sebring?
It was good till it lasted..... haha

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: eric.lynch@Itt.com
Time: 21:26:54

The sebring has 4 bolt wheels. The ones that are standard on the car are the stock 8 spoke wheels with the centers painted black and the outer rim silver to look like the 911 alloys.

Frank what is the vin number?

I will be creating some pages with pictures on the Sebring, Martini, Weissach and Lemans, Carrera GT and a few other special 924S cars in the near future for reference.

I think your car is the genuine article if the color is correct interior and decals. Also look for the roll bars like I posted before. Can't imagine some one would have spent all the money to duplicate one....

Eric

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2001 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: pdxmax@dsl-only.net
Date: 29 May 2001
Time: 11:38:33

I too was under the impression that the Sebring edition came with the 5 bolt option. However, I have saw a 1982 924 Turbo with 4 bolt suspension on it, so I guess anything is possible. I think someone put the 4 bolt suspension on the 924 Turbo after-the-fact, that is also my guess for the Sebring.

-Tabor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2001 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: pdxmax@dsl-only.net
Time: 11:39:31

I too was under the impression that the Sebring edition came with the 5 bolt option. However, I have saw a 1982 924 Turbo with 4 bolt suspension on it, so I guess anything is possible. I think someone put the 4 bolt suspension on the 924 Turbo after-the-fact, that is also my guess for the Sebring.

-Tabor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2001 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: Eric.Lynch@itt.com
Time: 11:49:52

Nope I have an official factory photo of the 924
Sebring siting in front of the 935 (I think) race car
and it has the 4 bolt wheels I describe above
Also there is one local to me that I have seen in
Tewksbury (anyone in mass. USA) that has the
4 bolt wheels also.

Eric

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2001 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: bcookt06394@yahoo.com
Time: 12:06:56

I just say a completely stock Sebring that is still on its first owner and it had 4 bolts, drums in the back. Maybe it was an option to have 4 wheel disks?

Besides, who in their right mind would convert to 4 bolts anyways?!?

bc

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2001 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: Eric.Lynch@Itt.com
Time: 12:12:16

Not sure it was an option. And yes who would convert.
Though for street the funny thing is that some of the shorter stopping distances were
recorded with the 4 bolt brakes. Much better fade resistance with 5 bolt though.
Oh also check out this picture for all the nay sayers. Picture is dark, but you can enhanceit
if you have some good software on your computer. I will scan a better picture but
Pelican parts had this one quick.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/literature/944/full_size/924-79S.JPG

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2001 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time: 17:35:58

Thanks for the picture Eric! Now i`m convinced i have the Sebring edition, but as it has been repainted, it hasn`t got the decals SEBRING 79 or 924 at the front. neither the lines at the sides.
But it has the red "scotch" seats and doors, etc.
Does anybody knows how sells this decals?
I`ll try and mail you some pictures of my Sebring...
If anybody knows were to find more original pictures of this model, mail me, as we are planing to restaure it.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: Eric.lynch@Itt.com
Date: 30 May 2001
Time: 10:06:27

GO onto ebay right now. I just saw some of the sebring decals for cheap money.

Eric

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: todd@transferracing.com
Date: 20 Jul 2001
Time: 23:19:10

I own a very original Sebring. Still has all the graphics and decals. They came stock with the 4 bolt setup for sure. I've done a TON of research on these cars. Some of them did come with a 5 bolt option but it is very rare. I've never seen one.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: