Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

loud pop near redline.. oops!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kye  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: loud pop near redline.. oops! Reply with quote

I was out investigating where redline in 2nd gear was to clarify my dyno plots, and I got to about ~6200rpm, and there was a loud pop.
I pushed in the clutch, and the car went back to idling and I coasted and pulled over to stop. it was idling fine, so I limped carefully into a carpark and popped the hood.
it's idling nicely, but I can now hear a lot more engine noise.. that 'clacky' sound that farm machinery makes in poor countries. it appears to be coming from near the turbo, so I wonder if i've blown a waistgate seal or something.
on the way back here to work I gave it a little throttle and I gave it a bit of throttle and got it up to about 5lb of boost before backing off, and it seemed to build boost about the same speed as normal, so it doesn't appear to be a failure there.

sticking my hand under the car near the turbo it seems to be pulsing air from somewhere, and it's not the thermofan (which wouldn't pulse anyway).

i'll have a look tonight to see if I can see what's now got a hole in it, but is this sounding familiar to anyone?

I am sure testing and finding the weakpoints in this car!
Khal  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rough guess... it sounds to me like you've blown an exhaust gasket.

Hopefully that's all it is. Very easy to fix (I've done it a couple of times)

When the engine's cold (and the exhaust pipe!), start it and cup your hand around the flange where the exhaust manifold joins the exhaust pipe... if you can feel exhaust gas "pfutting" out of the flange, then it's just the gasket there (like that word? "pfutting"? Doug Adams would be proud!)

It could also be a gasket where the turbo bolts into the exhaust manifold/pipe. Probably was just old and couldn't take the pressure any more
kye  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that makes sense, and seemed to be in that general area.
I was thinking it was unlikely that i'd blow a hole in anything metal! i'll check that tonight.. thanks
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "loud pop" has me thinking the large o-ring at the outlet of the turbo compressor's let loose. If it's the case, you'd also have some bucking and hesitation somewhere close to 5 psi boost along with a sound like an exhaust leak - that would be air escaping from that joint. Rattling can be coming from there also with the o-ring gone.

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing occurs to me - If the o-ring were completely gone, you'd have the bucking and hesitation all the time since the air:fuel would be off at all times. If the bracket that holds the lower pressure pipe to the block became disconnected and the o-ring's still intact, that's the situation that'll cause bucking/hesitation under mid-level boost as the pipes can be together at no-boost and low-boost, then get pushed apart when it reaches a higher boost pressure. -So since you don't have running problems at lower boost and below-boost levels, I'd guess the bracket's come off, the o-ring's still there and the joint should seperate at higher boost levels resulting in the bucking and air-escaping sound. (If this is the actual problem at all.) The bracket, if it's loose, might account for the clacking sound.
Then again, a "clacking" sound suggests something happening with the turbos' recirc. valve.

One other scenario - If you have a rev-limiting rotor, it cut the spark at 6200rpm which then let some unburnt fuel into the exhaust and it ignitied there, accounting for your "pop". That scenario alone wouldn't account for the pulsing air and clanging sound though - which brings us back to Khal's scenario of a blown exhaust gasket.

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
kye  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a small adventure under the car with a stick of insense (to see the air movement) revealed the approx 1cm round hole I have in one of the pipes down there, which is letting all the noise out!
it's the pipe that's parallel to the exhaust pipe, and I believe is for letting the blow off valve vent back into the system..? that's what it looks like in the manual anyway.

that would explain why I can get full boost (verified that since my last post) and why it doesn't hurt performance.
the idea about the excess fuel getting passed through causing a backfire and thus making the hole seems likely, although would that have caused a hole in the blow off valve? I know the valve would be open by those revvs, so maybe some pressure found it's way in there?

the spot it blew out looked thin around the hole and was flaky, indicating rust or wear at that spot.
closer inspection of the pipe reveals that it's been welded before in other places, so maybe it's just a case of a quick weld? not that I know how to weld or have gear or know anyone that does, but it's an easy thing to say!

what do you think the best approach to fixing it would be?
obviously I can get it welded up, or I could get a replacement pipe. I have the facilities to solder - would that work? or would it get hot enough to melt the solder again?
i've also heard about these things you can get to fix exhaust holes.. you wrap some fabric type stuff around the hole and then the heat from things seales it around the pipe and seals up the hole. sounds easy, but I have no idea about cost or their downsides.

opinions?
Paul  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On US cars that pipe (the one that runs from the outlet side of the wastegate to the CAT) is made of stainless steel, so I doubt it rusted.

I usually use my MIG and weld it up with some stainless wire.
Khal  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kye, I've used that wrapping tape. It's not great, a temporary solution at best. And with the heat and pressure on that pipe, it's not likely to last long, if it holds at all -I think it's meant for temporarily repairing small holes in a muffler, not the actual exhaust header/manifold or pipes.

If the hole's not too big, you could just have it welded (solder definitely won't hold) Any exhaust shop should be able to do that for you.

Of course, if you have the means, I'm sure it's better to just replace the pipe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: