Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924 with GM V6 on eBay
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bacook  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a guy on eBay who has done the V6 conversion if anyone is interested.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=594317707&r=0&t=0

924 turbo  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh...

I don't get it. Why would anyone spend thousands and thousands of dollars on an engine swap, just to get a Carbureted GM V6.

It would be a totally different story if after all that effort he AT LEAST ended up with a fuel injected (and maybe even turbocharged) V6 engine. It's bad enough that the car has the ridiculous looking scoop, at least it might have enough power to make it worth it.

And converting an auto? Bummer. That's going to be a tough car to sell.

$20k in receipts? Gee, I thought that the V6/V8 swap was cheap!

And nowhere in that $20k could he find the money to upgrade the brakes to 4-wheel discs?

And dig the half-black/half-brown dash!
larso  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brakes? who cares. Suspension? who cares.

The fun in driving doesn't involve any of those.

What is wrong with you.
MAS  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree... there's little point in spending those kind of $$$ unless you're going to drop a small block into the car. I'm sure that for well under 20 grand you could install an S2 or 968 3 liter.

Or, if I absolutley had to put a V8 into a 924 (or 944), I'd look long and hard for the ("Baby Buick" 212ci) Rover 3.5 or 4 liter all aluminum V8. Now these V8's are light, powerful, and have a history of being in small sports cars... notably the MGBGT V8, and the Triumph TR8.

-MAS
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-08-18 03:54, larso wrote:
brakes? who cares. Suspension? who cares.

The fun in driving doesn't involve any of those.

What is wrong with you.

Damn! You're right! Going straight is the most fun! Or, at least just turning one way, say, left for example. Yeah! Driving in an oval! Go straight, turn around, go straight again, and on and on and on!

I bet we could make a fortune on this...
Cbass  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a Rover V8 in 924? You do know the 3.5 Rover V8 was originaly a Buick engine from the 60s. That Buick didn't want. You're putting an engine that wasn't good enough for a 60's Buick in a Porsche?

You know, the church used to burn people over this sort of thing.

Anyways, despited naysayers who complain of exorbatant costs, taking a 951 S2 turbo motor, getting a chip, boost controller and 3.5" exhaust will get you nearly 400hp and 400ftlbs under the hood of your 924 for about as much as that V8.

Plus it's made by Porsche.
ricomartinez  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Chill your ass, CBass." (Hee, Hee)

Whoa, easy on the 3.5. Buick dropped it because it was too ahead of its time. In the 60's people weren't interested in fuel efficiency in the US. Big cars with big engines were the norm.

A testament to the effectiveness of the design is that makers are still using this engine in the UK. The Brits bought the rights from GM and used it in many vehicles from the 60's to today. Triumph, Rover, etc. TVR, some of the most expensive and highest performing cars are still using a variant of this engine.

Buick even tried to buy it back when lighter, more fuel efficient vehicles were becoming more desirable.

Also, not positive on this, but I've heard that many of the parts are interchangeable with some of the old Buick v-8's. So you should be able to toss in a longer stroke crank/rod/piston combo for more displacement.

Overall, it's really been a successful design.

[ This Message was edited by: ricomartinez on 2002-02-28 08:19 ]
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it over and over and over:

1. TRY GETTING A MECHANIC TO EVEN TOUCH IT.

2. TRY MIXING UP METRIC AND IMPERIAL HOSES AND PERIPHERALS.

3. TRY CHANGING ALL THE ELECTRICS

4. TRY FINDING SOMEONE WITH A SIMILAR CAR TO EXCHANGE INFORMATION AND ASSISTANCE (i.e., club support)

5. TRY DOING ALL THIS FOR UNDER $6K USD

6. TRY GETTING A DECENT RESALE PRICE AFTERWARDS and,

7. TRY FINDING AN INSURER THAT WILL GIVE YOU A DECENT RATE.

No one has yet to show one of these conversions done in a more cost effective manner than the cost of a total 924 ground up restoration.

Bah! They shouldn't be burned for their lack of purism, rather, they have gas poured on them and lit on fire just for being outrageously stupid.

I hope it doesn't look like I have a strong opinion on V6/V8 swaps...:grin:

[ This Message was edited by: Rick MacLaren on 2002-02-28 09:26 ]
ricomartinez  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa. "Chill your ...schtick, Rick"

I was just defending the BOP 3.5 liter aluminum v-8 itself.

Might have to start thinking about that resale value thing...generally. Excellence the mag showed older N/A's with a noticeable increase in value over the last 5 years. 81's had anywhere from $800-1000 increase, depending on condition.
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I'll chill.

Brrr.

Besides, I was only kidding about lighting a conversion guy on fire...I prefer using a flaming figure of a V8 hanging from a noose in effigy.

Rick

[ This Message was edited by: Rick MacLaren on 2002-03-02 05:34 ]
numbers  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Guys, here is the chance. There is a complete 951 engine for sale on EBay.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, have to stop laughing. Yes, the 3.5 is a good V8 as old, pushrod, carbed V8s go. It was well used in the TR8, and would've been well used in the MGB-V8, if they had produced it.

My point is, it's not an engine fit for a Porsche! Sure, the 924 has an Audi unit, but, damn it, it's more fitting than an american turned english V8 that wasn't really changed over 20 years.

Problem with getting a 951 engine for your 924. Unless you like lots of work and expensive bills, you should get the torque tube and tranny with it.
ricomartinez  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wicked combo of ignorance and arrogance there, Cbass.

There were MGB V8's in the early '70s. Not many. All hardtops.

The aluminum v8 did progress. It grew in size and complexity under Rover's tutelage. TVR got it to well over 300hp, bettering much of their competition with it (Ferrari, Lotus, etc). I've seen on the 'net many who have taken the lower powered standard ones and easily brought them to over 200 hp.

This engine was ahead of its time. The fact that it has lasted til the present utilizing modern technology through the decades to refine and upgrade it is a testament to its design. I'm not necassarily a proponent of swapping it into one of our cars. But if you like cars, how can you not appreciate the versatility and inherent beauty of this engine?
Cbass  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not especially ignorant, or at least I try not to be. In fact, at age 18 I know more about engines, sports cars, and engineering than most people will in their liftimes, not to mention history, art and general knowledge.

It's not that I don't like the 215, it may have been a bit ahead of it's time, but not by 40 years. It irks me a little bit to see people considering putting a carbureted Rover V8 with 944 drivetrain into a 924, when they could be putting a 951 engine with 944 drivetrain into a 924, for as much if not for less.

MG made an extremely limited run of GT's with V8's, starting in 1970 with their famous "Safety Car", which also pioneered airbags, and crumple zones. The others were just to assess feasability of production. If you've seen a lot of V8 MGs, they're probably conversions. If you'd like one, start with a rubber bumber, they were much easier to convert.

Know your role.
ricomartinez  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cbass,
I'll agree you know a lot about cars. But, don't let your head get too big. Most don't really know much about cars. Gotta appreciate them though. They make it possible for those folks like us to enjoy less profitable machinery, find better deals on parts/cars/etc.

From your recent posts I can see that you are doing something different. Some might say you're a little nuts for wanting to spend that much on these cars. I say if it makes you happy, then go for it. I'm sure we'll all appreciate it when you're finished.

On the other hand...why knock the person who is putting the 3.5 v8 in the 924? It will be different than all others. If done right by the right person will be light, simple, inexpensive, durable, require little maintenance, easily upgradeable for more power, etc. Again, if done right, we all will appreciate the work.

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." -T.Roosevelt (Paris Sorbonne, 1910)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: