Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nazri  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2001 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best conversion? A 944 Turbo engine with all the accessories. Over 250 HP and no need for carbs. Same chassis, same car, bigger engine. The racers do it. Racers don't add a V8 to the car, they add a 944 turbo to the car. Do what the experts do. Expert racers use the chassis for a 944 turbo engine or a 968 engine. Why reinvent the wheel?

is this the most trouble free conversion? how do i go about with this, how long would it take, how much power do u get and how much would it cost? i know nuts about cars 'cept how to add water to the radiator. any reply would be welcome.

'78 924 totally stock 'cept for new rims

[ This Message was edited by: nazri on 2001-12-03 19:41 ]

[ This Message was edited by: nazri on 2001-12-03 19:43 ]
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is an easy conversion.

Regarding prices, just know that the price of a conversion is equal to the price of buying a used 944 turbo. If you don't know much about cars, or you're not rich, or you don't have a space to work on them with a hoist, then a conversion isn't for you.

Right now there is a 3.0 litre 968 engine (based on the 944 but with vario cam timing = very fast) for sale on eBay. Check it out.
nazri  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.0 968 swap with 924 n/a is easy?
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say 'easy', just that it's a fast motor that'll hook up to a 944 tranny. You'll need a hoist and significant money - but if you do it, you'll have a very fast car.

Incidentally, most all of the conversion projects involve 944 parts as primary components. So even if you go for a V8, you'll still need a good 944 donor car. That'll run you big $$$ - here in Canada you can get one for like $4000 CDN in uncertain shape.

[ This Message was edited by: Rick MacLaren on 2001-12-05 05:08 ]
larso  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2001 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say putting a 944turbo engine into a 924 is only for straight line power. Sorry, but there's a reason porsche made the 944 wider with bigger wheels and better suspension, so that it could handle the extra power! It's just one of those prove a point things, if you are into straight line power and drive the car on the weekends then why not...I've even heard that the 944NAs actually handle a bit better than the 951s in car and driver reviews.
numbers  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If engine swaps for the 924 were at all practical, there would be a lot of people posting here telling you how they did it, instead of a lot of people asking if it can be done. Anything can be done with enough money and enough time. However, there are no good options for swaping a high horsepower engine into the 924 because of limited underhood clearance, limited strength parts in the drivetrain, and limited funds for investment in these relatively low dollar sports cars. Just my opinion.
bacook  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. If most of us could have afforded 951's or the like we probably would not have gotten 924s. Myself, I would love to have a 968 coupe or a 964 Carrera2, but I can't afford it. Instead, I got a 924, and after two years and another 931, I probably could have saved all that money to buy a 951.
Oh well, hobbies shouldn't be practical. That's why we have real jobs.
However, as we work on these things we develop a sense of ownership and it's hard to let go. For the cost of a 15 year old 951 that may have all sorts of hidden expensive problems, I could buy some really cool stuff for my 924s, which I know inside and out. Check out Rennlist to find the guys and girls in the exact same boat as we are but started with more $$$.

My Point: You will never be satisfied with what you have, but it sure is fun to think about what you don't.
John H  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of getting abused - to put a 944 motor into a 924 isn't easy but if you have got the right parts it can be done.

First not only do you need the motor you need the front crossmember off the 944, and the relevant suspension arms. Once you got the old 924 motor out you need to chop off the old engine mounts. 44 motor mounts on the cross member. you then have to cut around the exisitng cross member mounting points to fit the 44 unit. Once this in place and you've matched the tranmission it's all go. Ideally it's best to just go out and get a 944 or a rough 924S and put the turbo motor in that. Porsche have already done most of the hard work for you.

Like most things if you've got the cash someone will graze on it and put the 944 motor in an old 924 for you.

(excuse the typing errors it's a nice sunny day here in New Zealand and a few beers in the sun does wonders for the typing)

[ This Message was edited by: John H on 2001-12-14 14:27 ]
Revis Rose  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Jim Pasha told me the best way to install a 944 engine in an early 924 is to use the 944 motor mounts and then weld steel mounting backets to the steel cross member. This done by fabricating the brackets and bolting them to the motor mounts. Then the motor is lowered into position, the bell housing is attached to the torque tube (Remember the 944 torque tube has a prop shaft that is larger than the 924NA, so you will need at least a 931/924S/944/951/968 torque tube and tranny.) and the mounting brackets are tack welded to the steel crossmember. Next check the alignment of every thing, if is good, unbolt the mounts and remove the engine. Complete the welds of the mounting brackets and you are done.

Your '77 924 is now ready to receive its 951. Oh and now you need to modify it to except an intercooler next. But you now know how to weldso it shouldn't be too hard.
nazri  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*drools* thanks a lot guys
i'm gonna be whipping some japanese hot rods soon if all goes to plan..
Cbass  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. By now, people who have read my previous post are noticing I always mention the wiring. There are a few reasons for this. I've done conversions before, and the best thing to do is find someone who has done the wiring. Take the COMPLETE wiring harness fom the donor car(not like it needs it anymore)!! I cannot emphasize this enough. I have seen quite a few people bolt in a nice modern engine into an old light sports car, only to learn after 2 weeks of back breaking painstaking effort, they can't get the thing to work because of the electrical differences.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are trying to get only 200bhp out of the 924 just bore, stroke, wild cam, port and polish the head (that is where most of the limitations are) and put on a nice set of headers with a free flowing exhaust or straight pipes, also go with a bigger throttle body as the stock one is small go with a audi 5000 it is quite a bit bigger

I currently own a 78 924 I picked up for a steal $2000 cdn interear is mint except for a tear in the passenger seat the car had alot of weight reduction done to it headers, free flow exhaust bored stroked after market cam port polished also the car is running 225/60r/14 they are just legal as they just fit under the wheel wells with milli meters to spare. it has been lowered slightly has rear sway bars and stabalizers installed stiff suspention car barely moves when you try to rock it. carrera gt spoiler on the back a really unique and nice teal color paint with black interear. all i want to do is add a chin spoiler as it really needs one and get the carrera gtr clear headlights as the old ones have too much drag in my mind.
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On 2002-04-20 01:30, Lizard wrote:
if you are trying to get only 200bhp out of the 924 just bore, stroke, wild cam, port and polish the head (that is where most of the limitations are) and put on a nice set of headers with a free flowing exhaust or straight pipes, also go with a bigger throttle body as the stock one is small go with a audi 5000 it is quite a bit bigger

That's a hell of a lot more expensive than you made it sound. Boring and stroking will cost you at least $2000.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: