Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

VW VR6? Modern 4cylinder?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keefer  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2001 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea if this would work,just throwing it open for discussion,but theVr6 is fairly compact,I believe,and has lots of tuning equipment available,and would stil be all German ,if that's important to you.Of course,you might end up with 5reverse and 1 forward speed(I told you I have no idea),but that's just a minor detail.Likewise,any thoughts on using a contemporary engine?Maybe a (gasp!) Honda Vtec ,or some such thing? The more time I spend trying to get my '79 running (see my post in General Discussions forum),the more tempting it sounds;reliability,some extra power,reasonable parts availability,maybe a little more mileage,cleaner emissions.It also seems like a VR6 conversion wouldn't upset the purists too much;it'd be a logical evolution of the 924 if it was still in production.Of course,as with the Rover v8 discussion ,it makes no sense economically,but so what? Any comments(please be gentle)?
dwak  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2001 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it Keefer! I think it's a great idea. If it goes backwards just turn your seat around.
keefer  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2001 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who,me?I was hoping someone else would do it,it sounds like work to me.As for just turning the seat around,rear engined Porsches have already been done.
Mark CSC  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2001 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm nice engine but it is FWD so would be a total pain to fit to a 924. There would have to be too much modifying to make it work
ricomartinez  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2001 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't our engine originally designed for a FWD? Yeah, I know. It was a longitudinal install vice a transverse. But don't just about all audi/vw engine-to-bellhousing patterns match? Of course you would probably have to fab engine mounts. I'm guessing that vr6 engine is too heavy though. I've heard they are considerably heavier than a vw 4. Assuming the vw 4 is similar in weight to ours, that would make us much more noseheavy.

I still think that if you're looking for a vw/audi engine to transplant, that 1.8 turbo would be a good one. It will probably still be heavier than our current one, but probably not as much as the vr6. And, probably still an expensive and complex swap. But, hey, didn't we buy these cars to work on them a little?
keefer  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2001 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evidently.
swicks  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2001 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at putting a tweaked 1.8 Golf engine in mine. The bellhousing pattern looks the same, but Golf isn't crossflow and both carbs and zorst would all be on the same side (RHS) and there isn't enough room for carbs.

Steve in South Africa
Revis Rose  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2001 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2.0L Golf 3 have a crossflow head. This head should bolt to the 1.8L block. For that mater it may be possible to use the 5 valve head off a 1.8T. But if you have access to a 2.0L it would make more sense to place it into a 924 instead.

HappyPuppy  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we are on the subject of VW engine swapping, what about the new W8 engine offered in the Passat?

cya
HappyPuppy  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, does anyone have the bolt patterns and other specs on the VR6 engine? If it would work, i'd do it in a heartbeat to my blue 924.

For that matter, does anyone know anybody with a totaled VW w/ a VR6?

cya
Nick Neves  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way, many front wheel drive audi's place the engine longitudilly in the engine bay, not the traditional transverse installment for frontwheel drive. That may make the VR6 installation more simple. VW, to my knowledge, mounts it transverse in everything but the passat. Does anyone know for sure if the VR6 or 1.8t would bolt up to the tranny?
nick><>
Joes924  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a front drive 924 - haha Id sell mine
thats not sayen Im not on your side I keep the rear whl version.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in a 1.8T myself. It's possible, but I'm not sure exactly how much work would go into it. Assuming that you went with ALL the wiring from the 1.8T, it would come down to making it fit.

True, it's a 4 designed for a transverse application(sideways), but you can always chop, hack and weld. The bell housing I don't know a thing about, but theres always a way. The cost is what I'd worry about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: