Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

WGI Enduro 10/16 - planning thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: WGI Enduro 10/16 - planning thread Reply with quote

OK, Jeremy, Ray, Ryoji, etc... here's our chance to get organized for the weekend.

Driver's list:
Jeremy
Ray
Ryoji
Vaughan
Jason Fairfax

Crew:
I'm getting a REAL positive read on this one!!! My regulars, Gregg (crew chief), Todd (fabricator) and Byron all seem to be interested. My father will likely be in upstate NY and will come over for the race if so. My wife wants to make it a long weekend, tag along, stay in a B+B and tour the wineries. And another couple is enquiring if we need crew!

So, how much crew do we need???

On the plus side, knowing now that it's the 16th helps with scheduling on my end, know I don't have a conflict with a Waterford weekend...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention, I can bring a spare full-face helmet and 2-layer nomex suit for fueling. With this amount of crew designating a dedicated fueler should be no problem.
'82 931 Plat. Silver
jjadczak  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a couple of weeks Dad and I will put our entries in. While I have heard from Jason's brother, I have not heard from Jason yet although his brother informs me that he still wants to do it.

Vaughan the Dirt Trackers would be a great if you could bring them, hopefully we won't need to unpack them. Ryogi, we don't think we need your street tires because Vaughan is bringing his rain tires.

Vaughan, Ryogi thanks for your help with the Hankooks. We got them from Vilven tires (800) 251-0017. It might be a good idea if we purchased them prior to the race so Dad and I can mount them and balance them in our shop so we can bring them with us. Contact me off the board to get the shipping address.

Crew Help: anyone wishing to come on up and join us needs to contact us prior to us sending in our entries online so we can get them in for free. Also ANYONE who goes over the wall in the pits must 1. be over 18 2. wear pants 3. be a member of SCCA. If your not a member of SCCA, you need to contact them PRIOR to coming to the track. You might have a hard time entering the track if your not a member.

I think we ought will nominate Vaughan's crew chief Greg as as our Pit crew coordinator and he would have responsibility over our crew once this thing is on. Once the race starts the drivers are going to be focused on driving.

I also think we ought to nominate my Crew Chief Roger as our logistics, parts, supplies coordinator. He knows our PORSCHE-IT really really well and knows where everything is supposed to be. He could also be helpful obtaining anything we might need.

Vaughan, if your interested in a great B&B check out the Magnolia Place in Watkins Glen. It's a great place and the owners were very nice when I stayed there. Called early, Fall is also a great time for non racing activities in that area and chances are a lot of places may be booked.

Were sharing a pit stall and may try to link up with Brock Yates Jr. who might enter his Neon again. This time were better prepared though. We got a portable tool chest, a pit car and another 10x20 canopy. We can set one up in the pits and the other next to the PORSCHE-IT so if we need to make repairs and if it's raining we will be ok.

Let's continue to dialogue here, thanks Vaughan for setting this thread up.

Jeremy Jadczak
jjadczak  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a couple of weeks Dad and I will put our entries in. While I have heard from Jason's brother, I have not heard from Jason yet although his brother informs me that he still wants to do it.

Vaughan the Dirt Trackers would be a great if you could bring them, hopefully we won't need to unpack them. Ryogi, we don't think we need your street tires because Vaughan is bringing his rain tires.

Vaughan, Ryogi thanks for your help with the Hankooks. We got them from Vilven tires (800) 251-0017. It might be a good idea if we purchased them prior to the race so Dad and I can mount them and balance them in our shop so we can bring them with us. Contact me off the board to get the shipping address.

Crew Help: anyone wishing to come on up and join us needs to contact us prior to us sending in our entries online so we can get them in for free. Also ANYONE who goes over the wall in the pits must 1. be over 18 2. wear pants 3. be a member of SCCA. If your not a member of SCCA, you need to contact them PRIOR to coming to the track. You might have a hard time entering the track if your not a member.

I think we ought will nominate Vaughan's crew chief Greg as as our Pit crew coordinator and he would have responsibility over our crew once this thing is on. Once the race starts the drivers are going to be focused on driving.

I also think we ought to nominate my Crew Chief Roger as our logistics, parts, supplies coordinator. He knows our PORSCHE-IT really really well and knows where everything is supposed to be. He could also be helpful obtaining anything we might need.

Vaughan, if your interested in a great B&B check out the Magnolia Place in Watkins Glen. It's a great place and the owners were very nice when I stayed there. Called early, Fall is also a great time for non racing activities in that area and chances are a lot of places may be booked.

Were sharing a pit stall and may try to link up with Brock Yates Jr. who might enter his Neon again. This time were better prepared though. We got a portable tool chest, a pit car and another 10x20 canopy. We can set one up in the pits and the other next to the PORSCHE-IT so if we need to make repairs and if it's raining we will be ok.

Let's continue to dialogue here, thanks Vaughan for setting this thread up.

Jeremy Jadczak
ryoji  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyo RA-1 is DOT comp tire. You mentioned how this tire stands up against Hankook? I found some love this tire with full trd for rain or rain-ish wheather like "is it going to rain or not - what to use?". Anyway I have this set for 44. We can use them if we need.

Oh, I have 30+ Hankook stickers for your cars!
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh heh... well then those Toyos might make good intermediates, which would be nice to have on hand perhaps. If it's not inconvenient.

Gregg's game to run the pit crew. As mentioned in the email, he's already interested in setup planning. I'm wondering if we should come over fairly early Friday to have time Friday PM to pick over the cars, prep, install our gear (instrumentation/data, videocamera, interior net?). What's Friday's schedule like, and when do you plan to be on-hand? I'm pretty sure Gregg's already an SCCA member, assuming he's kept up his membership. Brian and Judi Bennett, other possible crew attendees from this end, are definitely members.

I'm also starting on my packing list... pyrometer, camber gauge... videocamera and mount... spare suit and helmet... Dirt Stockers...

Yeah, we'll get an order in for those Hankooks before too much longer, get them ready. You guys don't have any more races before the enduro, right?

Looks like my wife won't be coming, we'll just focus on the racing... just get a regular hotel, forget the B+B...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
ryoji  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, do you know this is a part of a series? And running most closer to MidWest.

2004 SCHEDULE

July 24-25 NEOHIO/FLR at Nelson Ledges 12 hours

August 7-8 FLR at Nelson Ledges 2 hours (Sat)

August 28-29 NER at NHIS 3 hours

October 16 Glen at Watkins Glen 3 hours

October 30-31 WNYR at Nelson Ledges 2 hours

this years standing http://www.users.fast.net/~nescca/endstand.htm
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, but I don't know that I'd wish to bother with it... not a big fan of Nelson... and there's still the question of spending my "travel" dollars on SCCA races instead of GTS races...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
jjadczak  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ryogi, maybe it's a good Idea to bring them Toyo's afterall.

Right now my crew chief and sponsor is in Brazil. He is also one of our truck drivers so I would need to ask him when he gets back when he can leave. Hopefully early so we can get up there mid day early afternoon. I agree that were going to use the time on Friday to get set up and figure out how this is going to work. We also need to install all Vaughan's gizmos and I need to install that safety net, which I need to purchase soon.

If it doesn't work out to meet up on Friday we will meet up EARLY sat. morning. The enduro isn't until at least 11 AM anyway.

Hey Vaughan, my father is having problems signing up as an account user on this forum. How does he sign up?

Jeremy Jadczak
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link to register should be up in the top right, shouldn't be a problem - what exact problem is he having?

I should bring my Camelback too... got one of those for enduros...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
jjadczak  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my father tried to sign up the site said that his email address was already in use. I guess he tried to sign up before and got his email registered but he could not access the board. Could you delete his email and when you give us the ok we'll go ahead and re register him on the board.

I also talked to Jason Fairfax who is definately in. He has agreed to pay 1/3 the entry fees but also agsuggested that he can drive the least because his share is a little less than Ryogi's and Vaughan's. He also said that he would get back to me about his crew too. He just might bring up with him 2-3 guys too which should definately help us all out.

We unloaded #35 today and took the head off and yep it was a pretty blown head gasket. The header smacked the pavement pretty hard and that caused a loss of compression between #'s 2-3 cyl. It also explains why the exhaust pipe was sort of dangling because it was loose from the header. Were going to inspect the head tomorrow to see if it's ok to use again.

Dad and I started to sort of map out a driver's lineup and wanted to run it by you guys. Since I already talked with Jason, he is up for whatever we all decide. Since one car is going to have a fresh set of race tires, we wanted our guests to be able to use them. In one car we can put Ryogi, Jason and Vaughan with the news tires and they can go out for approx 57 minutes each and not have to come in for tires. Since my father and I are basically the same height and weight we would team up in the other car. We would run four stops verses 3 stops for the other car. We would also probably need to do a tire change too.

There is also going to be an opprotunity for practice and qualifying and our guest drivers will see a lot more track time than Ray and I will. In fact I think since the cars are very equal that the new drivers to the Glen will follow either Ray myself or Roygi in the second car so they can pick up the line.

In the event that the three driver car breaks, any driver who hasn't had at least one turn driving will then move into Ray and I's car for the remaining stints.

Does that seem fair to everyone? We want to make sure that everyone get's a lot of track time too. Does anyone else have any other suggestions? It's also quite possible that either myself or Ray will want a breather and when we come in the nearest driver can take a stint.

This is a grand experiment and we want to make sure that everyone has a good time and that we have a lot of fun. Everyone's comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Jason agreed to meet us up at the track around noon on Friday. Roger and I are going to try to get the truck up ther at that time too.

I also heard from John Brown who will try to come on up and hang out with us for the weekend.

That is all for now.

Jeremy Jadczak
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that sounds pretty reasonable to me! Teaming up like-sized drivers does make plenty of sense. I'm glad to hear that there'll be plenty of opportunity for us newbies to the Glen to practice. If we can run my data system for one of you experienced guys in addition to Jason and I, that should help speed up the learning curve as well, as long as we have time to analyze the data before the race.

You'll need to send me an email with shipping address for your dad's shop, to ship the tires to...

As far as the board, have your dad email Peter, the board admin, at peter@924.org - he'll be able to reset password and tell your dad his username or delete to create a new one. I don't have any control over it, really. That's Peter_in_AU.

I gotta start tearing apart my car today, pulling the trans out to clean and fix the clutch and rear main... and then knock off in the middle of the day for a wedding!
'82 931 Plat. Silver
wdb  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you allowed communication equiptment (radios ) I thought you cold pickup a cheap walkie talkie set that comes with a headset . maybe glue/silicone the speakers/microphone inside the helmet . new drivers unfamiliar with a car might have questions about the car , or with a minutes notice you could be set up ( tools/air/water whatever waiting )for whatever problems arise . or advise on the fly ,spotting ? . might need some modifying ,antenna placement etc . oh and a question , willtire changes be neccesary ,will they be under green flag .

just a thought .

http://www.bearcom.com/headset-walkie-talkie.htm

http://www.toyscamp.com/viewproduct.asp?productId=LCI34971
jjadczak  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WDB we definately are allowed radios but we don't have the budget for them right now. Were also looking on Ebay too for a used set. The problem with most radios is that they have limited range. We can alos purchase sets of radio speaker and mikes for each driver to have installed in their helmets. We have five drivers so that get's pricey. Were going to continue to look but if we don't come up with a system then we'll just use a pit board. One of the drivers suggested having a cell phone in the car to call the crew if he goes off somewhere on the course. That might also work too.

This am we continued on #35. More bad, bad news We pulled the head off and discovered that it was trash. Then we learned that the #2 cyl had burned a small hole through the piston side and under the piston ring. There was a little scoring to the cyl wall so were going to need to hone that out, replace the piston, and replace the head. We also suspect that we might have caused some damage to the head when we had the other blown head gaskets that caused it to get progressively worse. This last time was the final straw and the head is beyond repair as the metal was burned away around the valves creating quite an air gap and that can't be fixed.

The rod bearings and all the other internals looked great and there was no metal shavings in the oil pan. That was welcome news!

After the holiday, we'll replace the piston, all the rings, etc and put it back together.

I guess there is a silver lining in all this - were having our teething problems now instead of up at Watkins Glen when it really counts. We did manage to get 3/4 through the weekend with the new car running great. If I hadn't had that massive "curb surfing" as Vaughan puts it, we may never have had this problem in the first place. Oh well, it was either ride the curbing or dig into the dirt and possibly flip,or worse off hit the wall. We'd rather fix the mechanicals than the body.

Jeremy Jadczak
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, I second that motion!!! Bodywork sucks.

Yeah, I wish there was a way for us to come up with a better communications strategy - but good radios cost money, that's all there is to it.
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: