Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

vw diesel 924
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PAB  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: vw diesel 924 Reply with quote

I have a '77 924 Martini, the engine is noisy(bad). I would like to install a mid 80's 1.9 vw diesel. My 3 most important questions are, will the block bolt up exactly, is the clutch/pressure plate the same and would the diesel engine lay at the same angle as the porsche engine or will the diesel's height force me to cut the hood? Thanks for your help
moT356  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAB -- We need to talk!
I have a '85 Quantum TD 1.6L engine and I'm looking for a 924 to put it into. Just today I found a '80 NA 924 only about 6 miles from my house. It's not rusty but it has a few dents and it's been sitting a long time (since '96). The owner wants $500 for it, and even though I think it's a little high for the condition it's in, I think I'll go for it.
In regard to the mounting angle, if you use a diesel from an Audi, it will be set up to mount at the same slant as the 924 engine, as that is the way they all are mounted (with inline, not transverse engines). As the VW Quantum is just a rebadged Audi 4000, it should bolt right in. I'm not sure if the 1.9 liter diesel was used in any Audis or Quantum/Passats (maybe in Canada?), but if you found one of those it should work fine. You also could look into mounting the oil pick up and pan from a slant engine on your 1.9, that might work too.
The bolt circle will be the same, as all early 4 cyl. VWs use the same pattern.
Motor mounts are yet to be determined, as is the clutch, but I'm sure something can be worked out
Llamaguy  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might run into problems burning the clutch with the diesel's high torque
titchati  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello !

A Diesel in a Porsche...
Such a shame

See ya!
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daily driver is an 88 Jetta diesel and I have a spare engine in my shop. I thought of this swap some time back and tried the Porsche bell housing onto the diesel block and it's completely different. The other problem you will run into on the diesel VW's is that some use the starter on the pressure plate and not the flywheel.

All said..it could still be done.....be really simple if you had an automatic 924.

1978-#53 "D" track racer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
moT356  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Quantum engine has a conventional ring gear on the flywheel for starting.
As for the bellhousing bolt circle, the Quantum engine is bolted up to a Audi 4000 tranny now. I guess the question is will a Audi 100 based engine (924) bolt up to a 4000 gearbox. If not, I guess I'll be making up a plate!
I once saw a Jowett Jupiter (look it up!) with a Vauxhall engine mounted via a flame cut plate, so just about anything is possible
Lizard  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the VW block is way smaller, so you would need a custom bellhousing, the crank bolts are completely different so you would also need a custom flywheel and then the clutch disc might have to be custom made.

as far as mounting it in the bay it wouldnt be too hard to do,

in regards to havig th torque burn off the disc, HA, the VW diesel engine doesnt create near enough torque for that.
moT356  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent some time rooting around in the achives at VWVortex, It looks like the Audi 100 based engine used in the 924 has the so-called "5 cylinder" bolt pattern, even though it's a four
I see two possible ways of proceeding with this swap.
1 -- Saw the bellhousing section off a V Dub tranny, then weld on a flange to mate to the torque tube. This might have some hair on it!
2 -- Plasma cut a plate to match 1.6 TD lump to existing clutch housing. Fairly straightforward, but driveshaft might need to be "lengthened" by thickness of plate (say 1/2"). Maybe could be made up at transmission end connector?
I don't see the need to change flywheels, just to find a clutch disk that will work with V Dub flywheel/pressure plate and driveshaft splines.
I'm commited to this project, so one way or another, it's going to happen --

Or maybe it's just that I should be commited
JoonTae  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man good luck with it! I want to put a 1.9 TDI from a new Golf or Jetta into a 914 or 924 some day. And whoever said what a shame earlier. Why would it be a shame? Your putting a German motor into a Porsche? Would it be a shame then for putting a V-8 also or just cause it's diesel? I have nothing against Monster V-8's in a 924. I think it would be sweet to do one day. I'm looking for mileage more than a boat load of speed. I think whatever you like you should do and you shouldn't bash other people for trying something different. Sorry if this offends anyone but I needed to say it.

Derek
moT356  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Derek, but I'm too old to worry about what anyone else says anyway!
I'm still driving the same 356SC that I bought for $600 in 1975, so I don't need lessons in Porsche mystique from anyone. I think the best thing about 924s is that they are cheap enough for schumucks like me to afford to buy them to fool around with. Want to put a SBC in one, -- great! Want to put a twin turbo Subaru motor? Buick straight eight? Rolls Royce Merlin? Go knock yourself out!
I did go look at a blown Scirroco tranny that I have in my shop. It splits right behind the bellhousing, so maybe it could be used. The problem is that the goofy motorcycle type clutch release rod would never work for our purposes. Maybe the casting could be modified to accept a more conventional lever action release, but it would take some doing.
I can take a pattern off the trany I have for the VW engine side, does anyone out there have scaled drawings of the 924 bellhousing?
Pat Dolan  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moT356:

I'll hound you to the ends of the Universe (well, the know limits of the internet) to lean on you to look for a 5 cyl diesel to bolt in. IF you can find one (yeah, I have one, but it is staying in my 5000) they are nearly give aways.

The 4000 trans used with the 4 cyl engines has the regular VW bolt pattern. You need Audi stuff for the 924, since, as you are now aware, it is a pure parts box 100LS/beetle (yup)/Rabbit car.

Now you have me looking for another one too, but I would still like a 924S with the 2.5 TDI (although not the cheap way out).

Pat
moT356  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks Pat, but I don't need another Prairie hound dog nipping at me, I'm already married to a girl from Winnipeg

If it makes you feel better I'll do some looking for 5000 diesels around these parts and see what I can find. I would also need one with a standard trans flywheel, just to make things even more interesting
Do they use the same flywheel as the gassers? That would certainly help the cause
Paul  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the redline in these diesels? If its 4500 rpm, you'll have trouble hitting 100 mph with the stock gearing.
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My jetta redlines at 4500....and I don't think I have everhad the desire to go that fast in that old clunker... I don't think anyone dropping a diesel in a Porsche is looking for speed...at least I hope not!

1978-#53 "D" track racer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
moT356  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What the redline in these diesels? If its 4500 rpm, you'll have trouble hitting 100 mph with the stock gearing.

A not too frantic cruising speed of 70 mph @ 50 mpg is more what I've got in mind for this project, thank you very much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: