Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Help...My Heater is always on.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
F924T  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heater on my 1980 931 is always on, while this is quite good for sweating and keeping in shape is not that comfortable. Has Abybody else had this problem before?...How did you fix it?

Thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: F924T on 2001-08-08 05:00 ]
John H  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably find the heater valve has had enough. If you look below the coil you'll see a little black valve it can either be stuck on in which case the heater lever will be hard to move, of it's just failed and letting the water through. Mine had failed but looked ok from outside. Replaced it and back to hot and cold as requirred. A bit of a pain in the butt to change as space is tight.
wdb  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can bypass the valve with a splice kit similar to garden house repair kit till you find the replacement.just discnnect the hoses from the valve an attach the hoses to each other,but your defroster wont work on rainy days
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My heater valve was toast and I replaced it. It's kind of a pain, but worth it. I find the defroster to be quite useful. The valve is only about $15.
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My heater is stuck on hot also. I've replaced the valve and it is set right. I've got a weird under dash problem. I'm working on trying to figure it out. When the car is at rest the heat doesn't come out only in motion. I've got a flap that is out of adjustment or seal that has went bad. The heater valve won't completely close off the water by the way. There will always be a little flow, this keeps the water from stagnating and corroding the core.
larso  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the car didn't blow enough air around in the car, but plenty of heat, anyone else?
The fan wasn't powerful...was somethign wrong with my car or are these cars' fan speeds weak?

Jon did your car blow heat in the car all the time because of the heater being broken? how is that? Usually it doesn't blow enough heat when its clogged up, (broken?) correct?

If anyone needs a heater core, they slide right out and are about a foot by half a foot in diameter, I have a good one.
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-08-09 02:55, larso wrote:
Jon did your car blow heat in the car all the time because of the heater being broken? how is that? Usually it doesn't blow enough heat when its clogged up, (broken?) correct?
foot in diameter, I have a good one.

Mine wasn't clogged. Actually what happened is that the valve probably got too hard to move with the lever and it ended up separating from the plastic disc. When it broke, it was about half open. So the lever would move freely, but it wasn't actually opening or closing the valve at all. Because of this, the heater half on all the time. They can break fully open or fully closed also. If your heater doesn't work, it's probably the valve.

These cars are getting old and stuff like this is bound to break. They're pretty inexpensive, no big deal.

[ This Message was edited by: 924 turbo on 2001-08-09 07:56 ]
larso  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops i misread that's why, i thought you said your heater broke, but your valve did, i see.
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2001 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heater repair problem solved. After running through all the under dash check, on the vacuum solenoids and air flaps, a friend and I went back into the heater valve area to take a look. Mind you I replaced the heater valve with a new one and set the bowden spot on. It looked exactly like it should as it passed his inspection twice on two seperate occasions. I had him double check my work since I apparently was missing something. Turns out the heater valve is incorrect for the car. The flow arrow was pointing in the wrong direction. I had to turn the valve upside which is incorrect in its position. I assumed that the valve was pointed in the correct direction since the valve itself was in the correct sitting position for operation. The valve was the correct part number on the box and came from a reputable parts source. I double checked the flow chart to be sure I wasn't getting some kind of weird flow in the coolant system and the flow was correct as on the car. So you guys know ,the long tube on the side of the block under the intake is the return line from the heater core. I f your having constant heat with the valve closed and you know the valve to be good, this may be your problem and there may have been a batch of incorrectly marked valves. If so let me know.

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: