Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924S/944 steering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eturbo924  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a point of reference for all those power steering cars... 924S and 944

I just completed a swap over to power steering rack... with no power assist. It works great! Cost of a new rebuilt manual rack for 944... $600! Cost of a new rebuilt power rack $550 plus! Cost of a new manual rack if you can find one $1200 or so. My Cost for the conversion..... $60 plus the cost of a used power rack. I purchased the tie rod assemblies and steering shaft coupler from the shop I always use. Then I cleaned, filled and sealed a power rack that I was given with my 944 at purchase. I assembled all the parts to the car. I surprised to find it is acutally easier to turn than the stock manual rack.

No leaks, no runs, no problems. Car feels great again. Oh manual rack was damaged on center and that is why it was replaced.

Just wanted you all to know it is posible to use a power rack with out all the pumps and such.... as long as it is filled and sealed.

Also I was told the manual rack is stronger. It does not look that way to me. The rack shaft is larger on the power rack. Unless the gear inside the rack is less robust I can see no issues with this conversion.

Eri
924_fan  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year / model did you install the ps rack on?
eturbo924  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed it on an 83 944. The only time that I have noticed any more effort is in real slow turns. Otherwise I am quite happy with the results. So far anyway.

Eric
eturbo924  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops meant to say real slow "tight" turns. Does not bother me though since I am used to non-power steering. I am sure it will be heavy to those used to the 924S/944 power assist steering. Oh also remember my 944 has the larger 215 series tires and sport suspension so likely more effort due to that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: