Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

931 Upgrades.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Revis Rose  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone selling a 937GTR Intercooler? Or an exhaust header with a cross under like the GTR/951 to mount the turbo on the left side? I feel that if I am going to up grade my 931 I should go all the way. EFI/Motech Engine Management, and see what can really be done.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that you'd want to go that far; mounting the GTR intercooler, as I recall, would require that you carve up the front beams and bend them forward (as on the GTR) to clear the intercooler. That's right, they redesigned the frame and body rails to fit the massive intercooler.

I recommend trying to use a 951 intercooler instead, as on the GTS, which should be less work. This is what I'm trying. Most likely will have to drop the rad mounts a few inches for clearance. Alternatively, take the easy route and use the GT intercooler. Of course, that would require use of the hood scoop, whereas the GTS-style intercooler could potentially look no different externally. Check it out under the Model and History/Carrera GT page, there's a pic of the intercooler from the factory manuals:
http://www.924.org/models/CarreraGT.htm

Just scroll down, you'll see it looks like a 951 unit.

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going EFI, save yourself a lot of money and bypass the motech. They are a beautiful piece of technology and will win any bar-room bragging session but are total overkill for street use.

Down here, where they make them, the motech and the autronic are the only things to use if you race a V8 supercar or a drag-only nissan GTR. If you're building a street/track engine, probably your best choice in a fuel/ignition EMS is the Haltec E6K www.haltech.com.au Here the haltech is about $1800 with map sensor compared to around $3200 for a similarly configured motech. That should equate to USD1000 and USD1700 with the current AU/US exchange rate but the US prices I've seen are around $1300 for the haltech.

The haltech e6k gets a bad rap on a site by a guy in the US who bought one of the very first ones and then had a shitfight with Haltech USA over getting the software upgraded. I've read nothing but good reports about them in the local forums and magazines.

I have been told that the fuel rail off a chrysler 2.2L turbo is a match for the injector spacing on the 924 head. If so you can save a few by not having to get a custom rail made.

[ This Message was edited by: Peter_in_AU on 2001-08-18 10:53 ]
Revis Rose  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that is some cool info! I got this 931, for a real good price. And it needs a complete going though, but it's a 1980 model and has had a hard life.

The GTR intercooler is a "huge" unit, and using the 951 might be a better and more inexpensive idea. I will deffenantly will use the GTS/GTR/951 style turbo setup, as I think it is a more efficent placement. I plan to race this car, and it will not be a street car.
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 951 trubo placement is actually less efficient but more practical for longevity and intake plumbing. The longer the exhaust runner feeding the turbine the less heat and energy applied. The 944 engine by all rights should put out alot more stock HP than it does for its displacement. The 951 receives that extra chip tuning and adds the turbo for the heck of it. Most modified 951 in the group I hang with are over 250 HP conservatively. The guys keep begging me to sell my 931s and buy a 951. What fun is buying a prebuilt model ?

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: