Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Removing front fenders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,
I am in the processes of parting a 1980 931 and I can't get the front fenders off. Can anyone help? This is what I have done so far.
(1) I removed the front turbo panel and thus removed the screws that attach the fender to the panel.
(2) I removed the screws that attach the fender to the front spoiler.
(3) I removed the row of screws that are located on top (covered by the hood when closed).
(4) I removed the one screw located in the wheel well area positioned all the way back toward the doors but perpendicular to the door.
(5) I removed the one screw that attached the fender to the bottom of the car.
There are no more visible screws. The panel is "stuck" around the "seam" with the door area. The door is already off and there are no visible screws anywhere. Haynes says to "...work it to-and-fro, pulling it forwards to the front of the car a little." (p 278). Are there any clips that need to be removed? I don't need these panels so I can always use force, but I would hate to destroy them or just send them to the recycler with the frame. Any suggestions? Thanks.
-Peter A. Holiat
AznDrgn  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many screws did you remove from inside the wheel well? From my recolection there should be at least 4 or 5 screws back there. Usually they get covered up in the undercoating so you have to dig them out.
AznDrgn  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you parting the car out? If so where are you located? Is the turbo front panel in good shape?
Peter  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only saw one screw inside the panel all the way towards the door. This is the area that is "sticking" to the car frame. I will use a heat gun and try to remove the weather proofing/gunk and look for more screws. Thanks.
I am located in NYC. The turbo header panel and the rest of the body is in great shape -silver paint, no dents, peeling, etc. Email me off the list (pholiat@aol.com).
-Peter A. Holiat
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are three maybe four screws in the fender well. not five ..this might help with trying to locate them.

I can try and take a pic of car with tthe fenders off and point out the bolt locations.

The heat gun is very helpful becuase of the sealer /undercoating makes ripping the fender off very difficult. Plan to have putty knife nearby.

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
Peter  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob,
It will be about a week before I get back to the car, so if you could email me a pic of the inner fender area that would be great. If not, then just knowing that there is more than the one bolt I removed will help me a great deal. I was getting very tired scratching my head and saying "hummm?"
-Peter A. Holiat
Joes924  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets see on my 924 i had the ones along the top by the hood the ones around the front the one on the bottem and 2 by the door way back there...
924_fan  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter
I looked at a fender in my garage. There are three bolts to the door jamb. I emailed you a photo of the inner fender.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: