Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

944 intercooler install..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cleethorpes  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: 944 intercooler install.. Reply with quote

Does anyone have any info, site links with regards the installation of the nose mount intercooler?

Should be arriving friday, along with a replacement 944 fuel tank and filler neck(my tank is leaking like hell!).

Also anyone know where in the uk I can get hold of a replacement ansa exhaust. If not any other throaty number would do...

Cheers
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a 944 install check out www.alexroy.net
81turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizard you are wrong, Alex used a Starion intercooler not a 951 unit.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ok, thanx for the correct, havent checked in awhile
cleethorpes  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Lizard.

Looking at it. The install is near enough the same, the steel pipes would just need to be altered slightly to mate up with the 944 cooler.

Don't fancy that 'five pieces a bend welding' though!

Surely some decent quality ridgid rubber/plasti c hoses could be used. (assuming they don't distort under pressure that is!

I'm getting a few of the connecting pipes with the cooler so hopefully I won't need to fab up to much!!
Paul  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wife's Audi TT's turbo piping is mostly rubber looking hoses held by ordinary hose clamps. Its boost is almost instantly available so the hoses must not expand much.

Most cooling systems run 14 to 15 psi and 180 to 200 degrees, so once your a foot or 2 from the turbo IMO cooling system hoses should do fine.
cleethorpes  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the audi a low pressure turbo though?

I've got a 1.8t golf and I think thats a lpt...either that or it is a crap turbo!
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what you are talking about cleethorpes is the CFMs I am not sure that anyone here will know how many CFMs the 931 turbo pushes
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is alot of welding to do full metal pipes (though you do need some rubber or silicone hose between parts that will move/vibrate differently). It was the best option for me since I already have a MIG welder and I love working with aluminum, so I'll use any excuse. My pipe bender wouldn't bend tight enough for the first bend out of the turbo or the last bend into the intake, so I did a tight bend by first bending with the pipe bender, then sectioning and re-welding the pipe and then finally porting the tube out to make the inside a smooth transition.

I also used this method so I could keep the stock vacuum port location and the wastegate port location etc. If you are going to have your vacuum port and waste gate ports re routed then you can certianly just use reinforced rubber or silicone hose.

The silicone hose I use is rated to 300 psi (yep, that's what it says on it) and 350 degrees fahrenheit and is intended specificly for use in turbo/supercharger systems.
cleethorpes  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

top job alex!

Is the 944 turbo connection the same as the 924?

If so, I should be able to use the 944 pipe straight from the turbo then simply hack into it and go off at the angle I need....probably not as easy as that though is it??

By the way alex, tried welding new battery box and a few other bits on my old beetle..ended up just about doubling the size of the problem I was trying to solve...never again... was an arc mind, if I had a mig it may be a different story..
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 944 pipes are nothing like what you would need to retrofit on a 931. It's going to be a fab job all the way. The hardest part is getting past the fuel distributor.

Keep in mind that I'm using a front mount Starion intercooler, but pipe routing should be nearly the same for a 944 unit, the difference being that the 944 unit lives behind the nose panel while mine is out infront of the car and fully open to air (and rocks and curbs etc)
Paul  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleethorpes wrote:
Isn't the audi a low pressure turbo though?

I've got a 1.8t golf and I think thats a lpt...either that or it is a crap turbo!

The wife's car is a 225 hp 1.8. I'll see if I can find out how much boost it has, but it almost outruns my Boxster to 60, after that, see ya!

225 hp
Turbocharged DOHC in-line 4-cylinder with direct ignition, two in-line
charged air intercoolers, electronic turbo boost regulation, 5 valves per
cylinder
Horsepower (SAE net): 225 @ 5900 rpm
Torque: 207 lb /ft @ 2200-5500 rpm

All the black hoses are some sort of rubber hose:

Paul  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it: 29 PSI in the wife's TT:

A Type K04 turbocharger forces air into the combustion chamber via two charge-air intercoolers. Compared to the less powerful 132-kW unit, a modified airflow path, together with a larger air cleaner, ensures that the air reaching the engine has a temperature only about 30¡C higher than ambient. This 80% charge-air intercooler efficiency keeps the engine supplied with an optimum flow of oxygen-rich air. Maximum boost pressure at the intake manifold can reach 200 kPa (29 lb/in2).

The higher-output 165-kW (225-hp) engine uses a high compression ratio (8.9:1) for a turbocharged unit. The 1.8-L engine was extensively modified to attain the higher output reliably. The pistons, connecting rods, and big-end bearings were uprated to accommodate the higher combustion pressures. The double-mass flywheel and clutch were modified to match the greater performance. The intake manifold, turbocharger, and exhaust manifold are new.
cleethorpes  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 1.8t is a pathetic 150bhp.. I guess I suffer from a low pressure turbo!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: