Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Lowering springs - Is bump steer gonna be a problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While my car is getting a heart transplant, I'm fixing it up 'right' and using my bonus from work putting on all the goodies I can afford.

Automotion sells 200 lb springs. I want better springs. I don't necessarily need it lowered, but, hey, what the heck. If I can look like Herve the Low Rider in this 'soon to be pimpmobile' then so be it.

The question is: Will lowering the car 1.25 inches cause me problems with bump steer?

I recognise I might tear out the underside if I'm driving on most any Detroit street (nudge to Vaughan) but that doesn't bug me too much. I'll just try to be careful.

Any other issues that crop up for you guys that have already lowered your car?
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that the car suffers from bump-steer even before you lower it! However, I seem to recall documenting a fix for that on the Tech section.

However, how much of a problem depends on what you're using it for!! On the street, I doubt you'd have a problem. It's more of an issue for your mid-corner neutral throttle bump input stability - when you're racing on track like a Touring car, bouncing off the curbs. Of course the modifications required are illegal for me in IT

OTOH, high-dollar shocks like they use in Touring Cars with variable-rate damping and blowoff valves and remote reservoirs can fix that problem too

I wouldn't worry about it.

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
awilson40  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people might talk trash about this but I installed a steering stabilizer on mine and it really helped bump steer. It might be beyond the average guy cuz there is no company that makes one for the 924. I bought one for a datsun PU and custom fabricated my own mounts.
ricomartinez  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How 'bout some more info on this steering stabilizer? Pictures/part no.'s/cost?
awilson40  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get some time I will post some pictures on my web site. The cost was about $30 (bought one on ebay) but I had to cut and weld the mounts to fit. I had to mount between the steering rack and the swaybar. Its a tight fit but there is room.
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have bump steer problems with my 200 lb springs... I am going for coil overs next with 250 - 275 ft-lbs...

- Jon

Porsche 924 Wide Body LS1 Corvette 500 Horsepower Engine
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What're they gonna cost you?
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 77.5 track car and my Euro 79 931 were both lowered with 250 lb springs. No problems occurred. By the way I lowered the rear of the car also to make it level.
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 77.5 track car and my Euro 79 931 were both lowered with 250 lb springs. No problems occurred. By the way I lowered the rear of the car also to make it level.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: