Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

audi 5cyl turbo?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
61sktnbug  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: audi 5cyl turbo? Reply with quote

i was reading alittle in here about that swap.. can it be done ? does it bolt up? the reason i m thinking of going that way , is price,
89 galant( wifes)
sirhc  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: audi 5cyl turbo? Reply with quote

61sktnbug wrote:
i was reading alittle in here about that swap.. can it be done ? does it bolt up? the reason i m thinking of going that way , is price,

Thats my plan, but I'm still at least a year out from starting (I've got the motor though). The consensus is that it fits, although with the 10v it gets a bit cramped on the passenger side of the engine compartment (intake and exhaust manifolds). A 20v would be much better, but the cost - benefit ratio just doesn't make it worth it (for me anyway).

Here's my plan:

early 924 (78 or 79ish)
10vt motor from audi 5000
efi (http://www.034efi.com)
5 speed tranny

I've got a chipped 10vt motor (210hp?) in my old audi 5ktq, and its just as fast as my stockish 20vt urS4. The 5ktq weighs around 3400 lbs and probably runs a 1/4 mi in the 14s, should be fun in a 2300 lb 924. With the efi, it will definately make more that 210 (with a buttload of torque), as well as cut down on the clutter of the CIS system. You can always upgrade to a bigger turbo and other goodies down the road... 300 whp wouldn't be too out of the question.

If anyone has any other information about this swap, I'd love to see it. Thanks!

92' UrS4
86' 5ktq - for sale!
61sktnbug  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do also want to try a 10v swap , but i need to know what kind of road blocks i may run into , ie clutch, intake ect...
89 galant( wifes)
sirhc  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my understanding, the engine physically bolts to the tranny (with the stock clutch) without too much trouble. A new exhaust downpipe will have to be fabricated, as well as any intake / intercooler plumbing. There are a few pics floating around of a guy who has one mounted... I'll see if I can find them.

92' UrS4
86' 5ktq - for sale!
61sktnbug  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awsome if you could find those for me that would be great!
89 galant( wifes)
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has actually been done already,
now if iirc the 20 valve has the intake and exhaust on opposit sides of the head, this is worth it just for ease of install, having the intake and exhaust on the same side of the head is not worth the hassle, also the intake and exhaust being on opposite sides of the head is a much more efficient design
sirhc  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizard wrote:
now if iirc the 20 valve has the intake and exhaust on opposit sides of the head, this is worth it just for ease of install, having the intake and exhaust on the same side of the head is not worth the hassle, also the intake and exhaust being on opposite sides of the head is a much more efficient design

True, although you can get a 10vt for $100, where you'd be hard pressed to find a complete 20vt for under $3k. I'm looking to keep my whole project under $3k.

92' UrS4
86' 5ktq - for sale!
61sktnbug  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirhc wrote:
Lizard wrote:

True, although you can get a 10vt for $100, where you'd be hard pressed to find a complete 20vt for under $3k. I'm looking to keep my whole project under $3k.
3k? i was hoping for cheaper than that!
89 galant( wifes)
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will the 20V head fit on the 10V block? if yes what about getting a used head from an audi forum?
61sktnbug  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just checked on that with a local audi budy he dosent think the head swap will work ,
89 galant( wifes)
sirhc  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizard wrote:
will the 20V head fit on the 10V block? if yes what about getting a used head from an audi forum?

These engines are pretty rare, and as a result, you really don't see too many individual parts for sale... only whole engines.

The 20v head will physically bolt to the 10v block, but you end up with a stupid low compression ratio. I guess you could look into a 2.3 or a 2.5 block... maybe something else short of custom pistons would yeild you a good compression ratio.

*edit* - I know the head will physically bolt up, but I'm not sure as to the alignment of coolant or oil passages, may take some modifications. Bottom line... probably not worth it.

92' UrS4
86' 5ktq - for sale!
61sktnbug  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey chris what else will i need to know before diving into this?
89 galant( wifes)
sirhc  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so sure I'm the one to ask, I've been an audi guy up to this point. I'll definately help you do some of the research, although like I said, I won't be able to start my project until I get back home late this year. Good luck!

92' UrS4
86' 5ktq - for sale!
sirhc  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else have any info on this?

92' UrS4
86' 5ktq - for sale!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: