Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

emision control

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matias  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, guy´s. My completely standar 931 is receiving a head job right now. I think is time to take some extra HP of these engine.
My first idea is to raise the boost to 1 bar. My secon idea is to take of all the emision control thing´s that steal power from my engine. Here in Argentina we don´t have emmision´s laws.
So , here is the question.... what kind of thing´s do you recommend me to take out, may be the charcoal can? the oil recirculator?
thank´s for all.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2001 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, be good to your lungs, "they're only human". I don't think the charcoal can or oil separator put any drag on performance anyway, so; I'd leave them alone. Boosting the boost is an effective performance improver - just have to be carefull not to overdo it. Too much boost will cause detonation. Water injection, intercooling and fuel enrichment are ways to prevent that. I turned up my boost some and use water injection (blue windshield washer fluid water injection).
larso  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2001 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seperator throws oil and oil vapor into your engine, I don't see how that can decrease performance? Of course it does! The only good thing that it does is releive pressure, so you don't want to plug it up, otherwise you will have oil spraying out the oil cap on your cam cover.
Matias  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2001 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But wouldn´t be better to have there one of those little "air filters" used for the V8´s, so the pressure could be released, without having oil getting trough the air-box?
Just asking.
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2001 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those "little air filters" are actually part of an aftermarket oil catch can.

Basically a catch can traps the oil in the vapour and vents the filtered air to the atmosphere instead of pumping it back into the inlet as required by clean-air laws.

A simple catch requires you to regularly empty the trapped oil, smarter ones drain the oil back into engine.

They're quite cheap to buy and quite easy to make. Have a look in the tech articles on the AutoSpeed site, they ran a how-to a while back.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the edu there Larso. I must have had a mini stroke or something. Of course the oil seperator puts oil back into the crankcase (no problem there); but, heated oil vapors to the intake to be burned. There would be some performance issue there. I just think it's negligible compared with the performance increase that you get by upping the boost and would still leave the emissions stuff alone.
Matias  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the performance gain wouldn´t be minimum, but If I could replace all the hoses with one little breather like the one´s used in the valve cover of the V8´s, the pressure would still be released and I would have less hoses, and the engine compartment would look cleaner. I really don´t like that plastic box (purolator) beside my engine.
Is more a look´s thing than performance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: