Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Running temp

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwak  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Running temp Reply with quote

What typical engine temps are you guys running with. I'm at 3/4 till the fans kick in, then down to 1/2 and so on but I think the rad's dirty. It's sat for the last 8 years till now.

dwak
CMXXXI  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fans kick in at 3/4 too, then down to 1/2 just like you. I had my radiatior fixed just last month (small pin-hole), cleaned, etc. All new coolant hoses & piping, plus new 88 degree thermostat. Only thing that hasn't been changed out in the last year is the pump. There's been a thread in the General Discussion section within the last couple of weeks about this, and the concensus seems to be that the 1/2-3/4 cycle is pretty much the norm.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine runs all the time at the first 1/4 mark, unless I come to a stop, then inch in stop-n-go traffic. Then it'll climb all the way up to the 3/4 mark, and the fans come on. I have the hottest (highest temp before switching on) fan switch, 92 deg C I think, and I believe the coldest thermostat. I'm considering switching to the middle thermostat to raise operating temps.

With the coldest temp switch for the fans, they would come on at the halfway mark. The only component I have not replaced is the radiator; all new hoses, pump, and heater core (as well as the aforementioned thermostat and temp switch).

My only complaint is that I wish it ran warmer; it's hard to get any heat from the heater when it's cold out.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
SprintStar  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMXXXI wrote:
My fans kick in at 3/4 too, then down to 1/2 just like you. I had my radiatior fixed just last month (small pin-hole), cleaned, etc. All new coolant hoses & piping, plus new 88 degree thermostat. Only thing that hasn't been changed out in the last year is the pump. There's been a thread in the General Discussion section within the last couple of weeks about this, and the concensus seems to be that the 1/2-3/4 cycle is pretty much the norm.

I live in the tropics. Ambient temps can reach 40° in the open. I'm thinking of a 71° thermostat. You guys have any idea on the effect of this?

Otherwise on the highways, I'm always at the 1/4 mark and in city I'm at 1/2, only in traffic jams (standstill crawl) do I reach 3/4. I was caught for about an hour and it nearly crept into red. Normal?

Sprint.
Paul  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes everyone sounds "normal"

Or as normal as we can be......
SprintStar  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
Yes everyone sounds "normal"

Or as normal as we can be......

Paul, not to beat a dead horse, but on a 'modern' car like a Honda, the temps remain constant throughout regardless of traffic condition. Does this indicate something lacking in our cooling systems? Can we 'improve' things with lower temp thermostats or fan switches?

Sprint.
wdb  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

air cooled engines get slightly more horsepower and fuel efficiency ,than water cooled . the water jacket being around 225 degrees keep the cylinder walls relatively cool . maybe the stock setting was porsche's attemp to maximize the engine , they let it run ,as hot as they could ,without risking a meltdown .
Paul  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SprintStar
Paul, not to beat a dead horse, but on a 'modern' car like a Honda, the temps remain constant throughout regardless of traffic condition. Does this indicate something lacking in our cooling systems? Can we 'improve' things with lower temp thermostats or fan switches?

Sprint.[/quote]

Yes in your climate you don't need heat in the winter, so buy a lower fan thermostat (screws into the radiator), no need to change the water thermostat. They are around $20.

I have one in my 931 and the temp seldom goes past 1/2.
-nick  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a lower temp switch too. I don't know why Porsche didn't issue it originally, I don't have any problems with heater output. It's also nice not having to wonder if "this time" the needle will creep up into the red or if the fans will just kick in as usually at the 3/4 mark. It used to make me a little nervous.

Newer cars (Honda etc.) often use a capacitor in the temp gauge line to keep the gauge reading steady. They don't do anything until it gets outside the capacitor range and then they creep up to red pretty quick.

-nick
Khal  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine hovers around 1/4 constantly. I have seen it sneak up to just under half when I'm climbing the range; low speed, low gear, high revs for several minutes. But it cools straight back down again.
Brisbane (Queensland in general) has pretty high average temperatures and high humidity but on the rare occasion that I've driven it on REALLY hot days (~35-40 deg C) it still hasn't got near 1/2 in normal driving.
I've not measured the actual engine temperature, like with a thermometer. Maybe the guage was calibrated differently for Australian conditions?
numbbers  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently, I have been running at 1/4 or less. But, it has been cool here, around 40 to 50 degrees F. In the summer, when it gets up to 100F, I will run at least 3/4 and when stuck in traffic, I will peg the guage.
SprintStar  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khal wrote:
Mine hovers around 1/4 constantly. I have seen it sneak up to just under half when I'm climbing the range; low speed, low gear, high revs for several minutes. But it cools straight back down again.
Brisbane (Queensland in general) has pretty high average temperatures and high humidity but on the rare occasion that I've driven it on REALLY hot days (~35-40 deg C) it still hasn't got near 1/2 in normal driving.
I've not measured the actual engine temperature, like with a thermometer. Maybe the guage was calibrated differently for Australian conditions?

What are the traffic conditions like in Oz? And what's a 932? A RHD 931? Does that mean my car is a 932 as well?

Sprint.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the lowest thermistat and fan switch in the 924 and it provides plenty of heat
SprintStar  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizard wrote:
I have the lowest thermistat and fan switch in the 924 and it provides plenty of heat

Any part number for it? Thanks!

Sprint.
AGD931  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the lowest temp fan switch.

My gauge reads just past the first white sector with the fans on and then drops to the limit of the white sector.

I have these readings all year round, even in summer when its constantly 100+.

In the winter,(if you can call it that in Greece), I have the temp lever just past the cold section and if anything the heater works too good!!

Arthur
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: