Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Swapping the Heads 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbonic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2001 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been looking round the site but I'll have to ask the audience - so for one million pounds/dollars....

1 Are you able to put the turbo gear from a 931 into a 924 - Ie the head/turbo unit piping etc.

2 If you were to turbo a n/a 924 what other issues would arise - eg fuel pumps/ignition/intection etc.

3 Would it also be wise to swap the badge panel/bonnet etc - Could stuff in an intercooler at the same time??

The doner car would be my 79 series one 931 with the mechanical fuel injection.

I've had an idea about buying a relatively new 924 c/w revised interior etc and swapping out engine bits and getrag gearbox. Ther general idea being that I would get a relatively new (newer than '79!) car with the same performance, nice interior and a working heater/less probs etc.

I would be very interested in your views and advice???

Cheers
Nic
turbo93one  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea. I´d swap the entire engine plus clutch, driveshaft and gearbox and just about anything that connects such as fuel pumps, oil cooler, ignition parts etc. since you have a donor car.

I´m driving my 931 in snow and ice these days and I´m having fun without too many problems so far (I did get stuck driving up a private road but so did a 4X4....)
cs  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have the whole turbo engine just drop it in your 924, it would be easier than turbocharging the NA. but to answer the question, it is possible to swap the head and everything else.
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the turbo setup on the 931/932 represented the automotive technology of the time - mechanical injection, no intercooler, 7.5:1 compression, 0.7 bar (Euro) or 0.45 Bar (Nth America) boost and a first generation electronic ignition system. Today you'd do it a bit differently.

Be interesting to see what compression ratio you'd get by dropping a 931 head onto 9.3:1 Euro pistions.

If you fit a good, actually any, intercooler the upgrade should work, especially in Wales where there is not too much risk of excessive ambient temperatures.

The fuel system is up to the task, although primitive it has typical German over-engineering.

Unless you have a dead 931, there are more entertaining alternatives such as converting to EFI and EMS and a modern turbo. But that's a different question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: