Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

used turbo??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psychotik924  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2001 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was wondering where i could get a turbo or used turbo for my 77 924 n/a. i would also like to know where i could get a set of headers.
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2001 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're going to have to get a custom exhaust manifold made (which you probably will as real turbo manifolds are getting hard to find) then the world's your lobster when it comes to choosing a turbo.

At the risk of starting another fire-fight my suggestion would be to hit your local Japanese car recyclers and look for:

Turbo:
Absolute bestest would be the turbo off a Nissan RB25DET (R33 Skyline). These babies make full boost by 1900rpm and we all know how quick Skylines are. Actually prefer the R32 shape myself - more subtle. Anyway, the downside is that there there might not be a lot of dead R33 Skylines in Nth Carolina and the compressor wheel is carbonfibre so you can't really boost them past 1 bar (not really a problem).

Choice 2: the turbo from the Nissan RB20DET motor, fitted to the R32 Skyline and others.

Choice 3: any turbo fitted to a 2 - 2.5 litre Mitsubishi sports. Don't laugh, the Evos are quite quick. The Mitsi turbos are all designed by Garrett and built by Mitsubishi.

Choice 4: anything off a Japanese 2 litre that makes more than 200hp in standard trim (there are lots of them) and that your local turbo shop can quote a reasonable price to rebuild (just in case).

Whatever you get, go for something with a built-in overpressure valve and save.

Intercooler:
Unless you want to destroy your engine then you must fit a 'cooler. The intercooler from a series 4 or 5 Mazda RX7 are the best value for money down here. Volvo intercoolers are reported to be very good and quite small which might be important if you're not cool enough to throw out your air-con radiator.

Have fun and take lots of pics
cs  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsubishi 16g, or 20g (real big), garrett t3/t4 hybrid. i know there are dsm's out there running 12's and 13's with the 16g and the garrett seems to be very popular as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: