Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

why 931's are so much heavier than NA's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
-nick  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: why 931's are so much heavier than NA's Reply with quote

i finally figured it out. there's 50 lbs of windshield washer fluid in these things! i just took the tank out today. good grief, why do we need so much washer fluid?!

sorry, i just thought it was pretty silly.

-nick
Paul  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometime before 1980 Porsche started offering headlight washers as an option. These washers required a great deal of fluid so they started installing the larger tanks in all 924's.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that we can buy the headlight washer aftermarket and plumb it up to spray on our IC's...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Gregarious  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: Windshield washer tank Reply with quote

I recently found my tank is falling apart. I want to replace it. How?
dwak  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really do that, 924RACR, and is coolant good for intercooler fins? I was thinking of mounting the sprayers on the rear bumper to spray tail-gaters.

dwak
Lizard  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwak wrote:
Do you really do that, 924RACR, and is coolant good for intercooler fins? I was thinking of mounting the sprayers on the rear bumper to spray tail-gaters.

dwak

no you have it all wrong dwak, you use a high pressure system that can shoot 10+ feet and use oil, dirty oil, or you drop spikes onto the road
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes wiper sprayers..good for stress relief. On my long gone (RIP) Fiat 124 Sport Spyder I had the passenger side tilted up to spray over the windshield. It was good for cooling down the passenger on hot days when the roof was down. It always got the same response - "What the F?!!". Most effective at a stop light when there's a lull in the conversation. (for health reasons I used just water, no antifreeze)

Years later with the '78 Honda I had the passenger side nozzle turned to spray back sideways over and past the drivers' side. Again with just water it was occasionally utilized in the performing of various forms of frivolity. You know, the kind of stuff you'd get shot for nowadays... One time on the way back from lunch a co-worker wound up following me in his car. Some minor retartedness ensued, and he pulled a crazy a-holeish move to get in front of me. I remained calm and said don't get mad, get even. We made it to work, he parked and as he walked from the lot to the building I pulled up and called him over. Then of course you know the rest of the story - as soon as he was in range I switched on the washer and drenched him dead center on the chest. We were white shirt and tie wearing computer geeks at the time. Again the same response, "What the F?!!".

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
CMXXXI  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer tank Reply with quote

Gregarious wrote:
I recently found my tank is falling apart. I want to replace it. How?

It comes out the bottom. It's not a hard job, just a bit tedious. Some of the bolts that hold it in place also support the oil cooler, but don't disconnect the oil lines. Also, you'll need to pop-up your lights to get it out. Although it is extra work to raise the car's front end, I find it easier to get to the bolts this way, and it also makes extracting the thing easier. When replacing, make sure you put some wide washers between the bolt heads and the tank's tabs, this will help keep the tabs from breaking/deteriorating quite so quickly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: