Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

oil cooler

View previous topic :: View next topic  
epsylon  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: oil cooler Reply with quote

how good is the factory oil cooler in the 931s? anyone know how many degrees it drops oil temps? would it be worth while to invest in a better oil cooler?
South Padre Island
81turbo  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is always a good idea to invest in a better cooler. In my opinon the factory one is a bit small, But very capapble for a road car. I would swap it out if you intend to do track work.
epsylon  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any oil cooler and setup recommendations that work well with the 931?

is it as simple as replacing the 931 oil cooler with the better cooler and using the existing oil lines by adapting the fittings. or are new lines required. anyone ever run two oil coolers in series?
South Padre Island
-nick  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think there were some folks using two 931 coolers in series, but only for the track. it doesn't hurt anything, just gives you more oil capacity to work with and more cooling. sorry i can't give you any before/after cooler temps.

it wouldn't be tough to make an shroud to give the air from the spoiler a more direct path to the cooler. something between the cooler and the spoiler. the stock setup seems to allow a lot of cool air to be directed around the cooler instead of forcing it through. this on my to do list.

-nick
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know that a tranny cooler is cheaper than a oil cooler though the tubing used is an 1/8 of an inch different with the oil cooler having the bigger line so even though there less as exspensive[tranny cooler]
they probly wont be as beneficial as if a oil cooler was used..so no
dont use a tranny cooler in place of a oil cooler and as far as using a thermostat thatll only flow oil when a certian temp is reached thru the cooler, I hear thats up to you though its a good idea to use one. I dont
think
Ill run a thermostat when I plumb my car for a cooler and remote
oil filter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a problem with using a trans cooler - they're usually set up for barbed hose fittings, I think, not proper AN flare fittings. These stand a good risk of leaking.

One other aggravation (or two) in adding/swapping oil coolers on a 931. The fittings that are in there are metric flare fittings, and are not cheaply interchangeable with the standard aroung here (the States) - AN. All the Aeroquip/braided hose and fittings you buy are AN fittings. The fittings to adapt between the metric 30mm fittings and AN are about $30-40 EACH!

So, you'd be better off replacing the entire oil cooler line setup with a filter adapter, remote filter mount, etc., like I have on my 924 racecar.

But that raises another problem - all the existing plumbing to feed the turbo, etc.

So you'd probably be best/cheapest to plumb in a second 931 cooler. Maybe.

Good luck!
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: