Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

2JZ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blury  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: 2JZ Reply with quote

Could this motor be made to fit on the factory tranny. Or could you set up the 2JZ's tranny the same way as the 924. Just curious.
wdb  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for those of us who dont know, what is a 2jz from ,out of .
jamez  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 2JZ is the 3rd gen. Supra engine, twin turbo very cool engine (correct me if I am wrong)...
I'm sure it would be way easier to make the 2JZ use the factory tranny, If you were to use 2JZ,s tranny you would have to figure out how to mount it also you would need the rear end, probably would have to do away with having the tranny in the rear of the car....
blury  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamez wrote:
I think the 2JZ is the 3rd gen. Supra engine, twin turbo very cool engine (correct me if I am wrong)...
I'm sure it would be way easier to make the 2JZ use the factory tranny, If you were to use 2JZ,s tranny you would have to figure out how to mount it also you would need the rear end, probably would have to do away with having the tranny in the rear of the car....

What he said supra twin turbo motor. High rpm range lots of speed good weight. I think it just matches these cars. I figure i might try this after i blow the motor in mine. Which with way i drive it will happen eventually.
1982Porsche924  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy a Supra, and leave the Porsche alone.
Body: Fiberglass widebody kit, 931 Nose
blury  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1982Porsche924 wrote:

Porsche is prettier and better aero dynamics, and wasnt featured in the TF&TF or 2F2F
Lizard  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1982Porsche924 wrote:

amen!
Sickofstreetracing  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blury wrote:

Porsche is prettier and better aero dynamics, and wasnt featured in the TF&TF or 2F2F

Better aerodynamics? I'd like to see evidence to back that up. Also, any car featured in those abominations of films lost their identity as soon as Craig Lieberman (The techinical supervisor and all around demonic figure ) touched them.

-Weltmeister Throttle Response Cam (gotta start somewhere...)

www.cardomain.com/id/wannabedrifter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
78porsche924  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also don't supras use an inline 6? I would think that the engine would be a little too long to fit.
Bae turbo kit
to check out my 944 S2 http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=388139
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
1982Porsche924  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely have to go into the firewall, and then have almost no room for the radiator fans. Also, rigging up a transmission would prove nearly impossbile.
Body: Fiberglass widebody kit, 931 Nose
Sickofstreetracing  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are right, it would be too tight of a fit. The Supra's engine bay is cramped enough (most tuners convert it to single turbo b/c there just isn't enough room for 2 bigger turbos). I wouldn't think the 924's engine bay is bigger than the supras.

-Weltmeister Throttle Response Cam (gotta start somewhere...)

www.cardomain.com/id/wannabedrifter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CBass  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there would be enough room for the accessory drive on teh front of the engine, it would be a much better idea to use a 4 cylinder instead, like a 3S-GTE if you're set on Toyota, or a SR20DET if you want a Nissan, etc...

If you were really serious about building up a good turbo engine, have a good look at the 968 engine. It's made to fit into the same space, and has half a liter of displacement over the 2JZ engine, and costs a fair bit less. If you go to the trouble of getting a 2JZ engine and installing it in a 924, you would probably upgrade the turbo and the fuel system to justify the swap.

If you're already doing that, why not just get a 968 engine, upgrade the fuel system, get a Kokeln manifold and turbo, and rebuild the engine with those fancy Carrillo rods they use? On stock pistons, a 968 engine can make 550hp, if you believe what teh people at Kokeln will tell you. They have quite a good reputation, so I'd be inclined to believe them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: