Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

SUSPENSION UPGRADES 1980 931

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussie931  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few questions to you all regarding the 931 or 924 with the 5 bolt, 4 wheel disc and fitting later suspension and brakes:

Was reading an article in Excellence where a 944S engine was replced with the 944S2 engine. The article discusses 'swapping' the complete front struts and rear torsion assembly. It mentions that for the early 944 (pre 85.5) the 1986 944 Turbo strut/brakes etc would be required for a bolt in thing (for the correct offset however will require 16" wheels) - CAN I ASSUME THAT THIS APPLIES TO THE 931 AS WELL SEEING THE SUSPENSION COMPONENTS WERE THE SAME? Does anyone know if the Aluninium A Arm will also be able to be fitted?

In regards to the rear - as the 931 tranny has two arms that come off the torsion bar tube therefore I assume that this cannot be completely 'swapped out' - unless I weld the arms to the 944T Torsion holder I guess. As the whole thing has to be dropped to do this I may as well just fit the 944T torsion bars and sway bar to existing hardware. Trying to get the aluminium trailing arms as per GTS.

My other option is to just upgrade suspension and fit 3.3 litre 930 brakes (as per original factory GTS's) - would I need the 930 hubs for fitment of these does anyone know?

What are peoples thought and opinions on the above.

FYI - Im working on a RHD Carrera GTS replica based on my 1980 931. This is a club road and track car.

So Far - Engine fully rebuilt stock (0.40 thou oversized) using all new internals and new turbo - $$$$$$$$ however I feel the best place to start any performance mods is with an engine that is in top notch condition in standard form. I have purchased 944T intercooler and am working on the best install (will probably get later 944 panels to make install look neat/factory). Will fit aftermarket programable digital ignition, supplementary fuel computer to control extra injector at high boost, 2 stage boost controller (wet/dry or road/track - planning on running about 0.75bar and 1.0 bar) then the body kit, wheels etc.

924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use the later 944 suspension by swapping in an early 944 transaxle and torque tube. This will bolt up to the floor of the trunk. Shaft diameters and all will be the same as the 931. Just a thought...

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: