Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

928 engine in 924S

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProudGecko  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: 928 engine in 924S Reply with quote

I didn't see any other posts about this so I thought I'd ask. Would the 928 engine physically fit under the hood of a 924S. Of course you'd be opting for even more maintenance
1973 Honda CB500
blury  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I htought about this once then decided when my motor blows i will just replace it with the Toyota 2JZ should fit better be more reliable and capable of alot of more HP

However if you want to go that route the cheapest way to be get a old 928 which makes me wonder why you wouldnt just restore the 928 instead of screwing with the 924
Lizard  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blury wrote:
Toyota 2JZ should fit better be more reliable and capable of alot of more HP

less matenance yes more power not if you spend the smae money on the 928 engine, plus the 928 engine has alot more torque and a flatter power band.

yes the engine will fit apparently I haven't tried myself but if I remember correctly someone said the 931 engine bay is about 2" wider than a 928 engine bay and it should have enough length as it is just a 944 engine with another bank of pistons, if you do this it would be 1 hell of a sleeper, you would want to also adapt a 928 5 speed too,

but the 928 engine with a wild cam and a supercharger pushing about 5psi is capable of more than 600bhp, plus it would still keep the car porsche
blury  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizard wrote:
blury wrote:
Toyota 2JZ should fit better be more reliable and capable of alot of more HP

less matenance yes more power not if you spend the smae money on the 928 engine, plus the 928 engine has alot more torque and a flatter power band.

yes the engine will fit apparently I haven't tried myself but if I remember correctly someone said the 931 engine bay is about 2" wider than a 928 engine bay and it should have enough length as it is just a 944 engine with another bank of pistons, if you do this it would be 1 hell of a sleeper, you would want to also adapt a 928 5 speed too,

but the 928 engine with a wild cam and a supercharger pushing about 5psi is capable of more than 600bhp, plus it would still keep the car porsche

No doubt but how much would the wild cam and supercharger cost. Not only that if you think the 924S/944 have a timing belt problem the 928 are worse and in the 928 the motor has to be removed to replace it. As it would in the 924 if it was in there

Other things to take into account the 2JZ weigh just about the same as the stock motor (924S anyway) that means all the telemtriy will stay the same. The 928 motor weigh more

Lot more fabrication to get the 928 motor to work right. Although it can be modfied to 600WHP so can the 2JZ for alot less. Of course then neither would be reliable

I think its an awsome idea just to much money to do it and to keep it running IMO
Lizard  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually the 928 engine has yes the same timing belt idea but it isn't required to be changed for 60k (most do at 40-45k though), and I am not sure who told you that you have to pull the engine to do the belt but that is incorrect, there is more than enough room to do it w/o pulling the engine, for the cams you would be looking at about $600 cause there are 4 of them, and the supercharger about 2500-5000
Llamaguy  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone ever thought about putting one of the 911 flat 6s in a 924/928/944? or would the transmission thing be too big of a hassle
78 924 N/a  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizard wrote:

but the 928 engine with a wild cam and a supercharger

"Wild cams" and superchargers don't mix well at all. But in fact require yet a different kind of cam timing from wild or stock to make the most amount of power.

Quote:
pushing about 5psi is capable of more than 600bhp,

That's pretty optimistic, almost 100% increase in power with only the change of cam and 5psi supercharger. How did you come up with this?

Most supercharger manufacturers try to keep their claims closer to 40% increase, and even those are not realistic all the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: