Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

carrera gt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamez  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a junk car with the carrera gt body kit, the fenders are all in good condition so I'm putting them on my car.. my question is... the rear fenders were bolted on to the car, it didn't make a good fit and it looked like crap, someone told me they are usually glued on, can I glue them onto my car? what type of glue do I use? thanks alot
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, originally they were pop-riveted on, like the 911GT2. Depends on the look you're going for... either original, or more smoothed in...

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can be glued by using the same type of compounds used in corvette body repairs. This will allow you to adhere to both fiberglass and steal. I personally would also use some pop rivits in some areas, as long as they could be counter sunk and hidden for a smooth finish. Good luck with your project, don't hesitate to ask any body related questions.
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the rears is you have to cut out the fender lip so you are modifying the body.

The shop manual indicates a procedure and includes a new inner wheel arch as part of the modifications.

If you don't do this and try to run the correct offset the tires will rub and be cut by the fender lip

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
jamez  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, thanks for the info, I think I'll go for the rivet/glue method.. I'll post pics when I'm done (couple weeks probably)
the wheels I got with the car are the 16" fuchs, with, 225's up front and 245's in the rear, I can't wait to get those on..... thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't overlook the point he was making about the rear quarter panels. The ones you are installing (I assume) the wheel well arch is offset from the body. This is a large factor to take into consideration. If you just install overtop, with out modifying the factory wheel well you will end up with a double lip. This would not only look like %$@!, but will make a home for water, mud and rust. If the space between the two lips wasn't too large, you may get away with connecting the two and making one wide wheel well lip. Then the question of tire width comes into play. Do you need that extra room for a reason. Sounds like a big job...but do-able.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: