Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Fuel Delivery

View previous topic :: View next topic  
924martinirossi  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 81, 931 cuts off after about 15 sconds of running. I can rev it up to 5,000+ and it does not miss a beat, however, when the idle drops down to around 1,ooo it runs for a few more seconds then dies. The car just refuses to start after that.

In trying to locate this problem and this is what I repaired already:

Replaced fuse/relay pannel
Replaced fuel pump relay (with correct one)
Cleaned all grounds above relays
Repalced fuel pump (had a bad one)
Removed and cleaned fuel distruibtor
Flushed lines to and from the tank
New plugs installed

Gas flows freely from both input and output of fuel filter and fuel dist. lines.

13.85 VDC at pump.

Any other suggestions?

Michael
924martinirossi  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add that my boost switch (on intake) has been grounded to block. The PO said it is not working. This car is an 81 931.

Michael
924martinirossi  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it figured out. Turns out that my spare fuel pump was no spare at all. It was cutting out. When I got the car started it ran and when the relay was "jumpered" I heard the in-tank pump going. After I figured that out I took a hammer to it and it works now. Also on the fuel distrubitor there was a toothpaste cap siliconed over this small hole. Without this cap the car would not rev up and backfire thru the air meter. A 11 cent cork solved the problem.

I drove it over to the guy I bought it from and he cried. What I didn't know when I bought it was that he had spent about $4k on it and then let it sit since 1997.

It even burns rubber.

Happy 931 driver

Michael

My 80 931 still sits in a garage. It has been there for over 19 months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: