Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Survey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, I know... been a long time since I've been on here. My titanium G4 laptop was stolen and has not allowed me to update my website and slowed down my entire work process.

Anyways, I am just curious who out there is modifying their 924, who likes to keep it original and all the others too... Just reply with a little reason why too.

Just like to hear the reasons.

BTW: I just bought back one of my old 924's as a Rally Cross car...

- Jon

Porsche 924 Wide Body LS1 Corvette 500 Horsepower Engine
bacook  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am modifying my 924NA to be a track car or just a screwaround toy. I am replacing the suspension with that of a 944, the interior is stripped and I'll eventually run it into the ground. It's my daily driver currently.
Why? The car was in an accident a year ago crushing the front right corner, not my fault! It is nearly impossible to completely repair so I decided to keep it going as a toy.

I am leaving the 931 as stock as possible because it is all original and well cared for since birth. I bought it with the insurance money I got from the wreck above. The PO had completely reupholstered the seats and repainted it. It's fast, comfortable, and well maintained. It'll be one of the valuable ones ADAM! was referring to in the future.
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original intention was to get a car to modify as much as possible, more as an education than anything. I had always wanted a 924/944 as far back as I can remember and the one I got was available at a really good price at a time I had "extra" money.

I have already done a bunch of body work on the car, and interior work too. I am going to supercharg it with a Paxton sn-93 I just got off of ebay. I was either going to turbocharge or supercharge depending on what was available to me first, and after 2 bad turbo units from ebay (got my money back for both), I got a good deal on the supercharger, hopefully that unit won't be bad. I already put in Webers, but I am thinking of going to the Electromotive DIS/EFI setup along with the supercharger, I just want to know the details of Jon's install.
924martinirossi  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a 81 931 and am keeping it all stock. This year I was in the process of stripping my 79 to be a racer, but sold it instead. I downloaded your relay pics and have added relay pin numbers and wire color coding to the relays. Have done alot of cross reference info on part numbers also. Will foward to you when complete. Needless to say I'm really into electrical T/S with this "new" 931.

"Stump this"

Michael
eturbo924  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know mine Jon, but here is what I have to say about modifications.
If the car could have had it as an option I would replace or add that with no problem. Engine performance upgrades. I like the ones that are mostly invisible. Cams, port & polish internal engine modifications, that kind of thing. More substantial things like exhaust and cold air intake. Well I figure these are just bolt or snap on components and can be removed when I want the car to look original.

I like to keep the car as original as posible. I like to see others put their own mark on their cars, but mine will remain visually stock. No aftermarket wheels or scoops, or wings or such.

Now to remain completely original I would not have painted the car.... so I am not a complete nut.... mostly.

That is my 2 cents.

Eric
MAS  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 87 924S is completely stock.

-MAS
cs  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey alex, how much did you have to pay for the paxton and how do you plan to work the brakets, fuel injection, and ignition.
so this post isn't off the topic i have a 78 924 with 9.3 pistons, and everything else is stock but i'm working on making it an autocrosser with four wheel disc, five speed, suspension and some more engine stuff. i also have an 82 931 that as far as i know is completely stock, i was going to build it up but i think i'm going to leave it alone. it's in good shape and is fast enough for a street car.
jcope  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1987 924S.

All stock. I will keep it that way, except maybe for the wheels and the sound system. Oh, and some suspension work like rear sway bar, shocks, springs, etc. Oh yeah, there is a performance chip in it and a K&N filter. Other than that, no changes from stock. Except maybe the exhaust.
John Mueller  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

77 1/2 NA 924

I know it is sin to mod a Martini, but I am. After all when I got her she already had a different motor from the orig. Now I have since added another block, and completely rebuilt the motor. And I drove her last night for the first time in 5 years, it was a good feeling too... I need to work on the suspension though, it feels like all the bushings have gone bad. I have so far added a MSD 6al with a Vari-Curve controller to better control the Franco Cam Gear and soon a stage 2 cam. All new bearings, well the drivetrain is basically brand new. My goal is to have a very fun and fast daily driver that does well at the autoX.
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. My 77.5 was slow when I bought it new. In 1982 I had a cam and headers put on along with two Weber 45DCOEs. Later I went with 23mm front and 22 rear sways, gas shocks and a cam gear. In 94-95 I had a different cam, larger pistons, new gas shocks 15inrims and track tires. I still have the car for track only
2. I bought a 79 931 Euro in 98 and repainted it in Cassis or black cherry,removed the very good plaid interior for an all black leather version. Replace the fuel filter, accummulators, fuel pump, some grounds, new 16 in flat dish 928 rims with Kuhmo Ectas, gas shocks, new A arms and ball joints, and a Momo stering wheel. It is otherwise stock blows no smoke is very fast and other than not shifting into first while moving I am very satisfied with the car. It is a daily driver.
3. 85.5 944 strickly stock daily driver
4. 87 911 Targa 34K showroom condition Garage Queen.
Regards to all
924Kid  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned my '79 for almost 5 years now. It was totally stock & original when I got it, with minor exceptions like a new radio, and I'm keeping it that way. There is something that just turns me off about cars that are highyly modified. A car is the worst investment you can ever make, no matter what, your car will depreciate. Why would I sink more money than necessary into an old car, when I can keep it original and beautiful and just buy another faster car like a 944 or 968? Even to get another 924 is so cheap if I want to modify it, then fine, as long as I have one that's original.

Another thing that bothers me is all the people my age (I'm 19) have these UGLY, souped up rice-burners that just drive me insane....some of which are my friends. I like to just be different,nobody else my age owns a vintage Porsche, plus my car is cool & fast enough without the stupid exhaust, sound system or funky (tho stylish) tailights! (all of which do NOT add to the value of such cars, especially at the rate new models are coming out these days)

A.J.
Joes924  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1979 924,I bought for $551.50 because the owner didnt know what was wrong with it. Either did I .. thought I was gonna have a lemon on my hands.Turned out to be just a rusty tank I took out and resealed
and went thru injectors and lines and a fuel dist.a warm up valve till I found the rusty tank.. Finally it ran good was
originaly ..a metalic steel color and was centari 74 corvette red when I got it.
The paint was a few years old and I was tired of waxen it to make it shine .
So I did my first paint job on it, yellow, red with purple and blue and black and yellow pinstipes covered in clear with pearlblue added.I wish I made the stripes wider but it was a sunny day I had a new devilbiss and was excited I guess. I have 9.3:1 pistons I got from here Im
adding them this winter with a extra rebuilt motor Im doing my first and am now making a head with a schnieder cam 270f grind with new springs valve guides lapped valves and port work.Ill put the head on as soon as its done and do the motor next year in January.The brakes have been totally gone thru replacing the master cyl. and slave cyl. still has drums and discs. New clutch pack also. I recently added a few things I bought from E-bay, a header with 2 1/4" pipe to a glasspack with the stock resonater tip welded on.The ignition upgrade .. a MSD 6 with soft touch rev control and Tayler pro series 8mm spiral core wires with bosche plat. plugs gapped to .049. Along with the head I also have a new 5 spd to put in. I find E-bay and the local bone yards good places as I found my 924s spoiler, sun visers, 944 guages, tranny, and motor. Plan
to keep it and make it as fast as I can for the street and who knows. Think Ill lower it
a little do a front spoiler lighten it up with diff. bumpers. Maybe paint it all yellow with the blue pearl and get differant colored vinylcircle graphics made and put them on in a few choosen places. or have a big black colored vinyl porsche logo made and stick it on diagnally... something exotic maybe all 3 any how. Like to widen the rear wheel stance with a spacer
maybe make my own. When I was in my 20s I saw a red 85 944 around and said I want one of those or a 911s or a slant nose couldnt afford them so now maybe Ill get another 924 then Ill have 2

[ This Message was edited by: joes924 on 2001-10-19 15:43 ]

[ This Message was edited by: joes924 on 2001-10-21 04:03 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Joes924 on 2001-10-24 12:42 ]
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the posts so far! Keep them coming!

Yes- I _PROMISE_ I will update my website to tell everyone about the DIS system from Electromotive. Sorry I haven't- my laptop was stolen and it has slowed down everything I do....

Anyways, keep um rolling!

- Jon
fredrikl  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I own a 1982 924 which has exactly the same specs as when it left the factory, and I intend to keep it like that.

The reason I haven't modified it is mainly that it was in so good condition when I bought it that there is no point in replacing anything. Also, in general I trust that the engineers at Porsche did a good job when they designed the the car, and there is little need to change it for everyday off-track use.

Admittedly the engine isn't very impressive, but the pure exterior styling is - still today - really refreshing and modern. The styling of the 944, which became unfashionable along with the white Miami Vice-style cotton suits of its previous yuppie owners, looks more out of date if you ask me.

Best wishes,
Fredrik

[ This Message was edited by: fredrikl on 2001-10-21 20:39 ]
fielderd  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 80 924 (euro import to aus) thats just been rebuilt, new bearings, crank and cam grind and all that stuff. then i crashed it through a t intersection and need front suspension, oil pan and bellhousing parts.

oh well, still worth fixing, i like the car to much to sell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: