Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

heavy front springs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom924  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:25 am    Post subject: heavy front springs Reply with quote

Hi

I have a handling problem, and I am trying to recover from my handling problem. With a little help from my friends I can recover from my handling problem. Thats the way to start these things isn't it?

I have a 88 924s with a scary suspension on the track. nose dives, rear wheel lifts, likes to get sideways.

Priced what the experts recommend a month ago, the car is still sitting untouched.

So I got the brainstorm to dig through my stuff pile, low and behold I found a set of springs that are same size, mucho heavier. Not sure what they came out of, a guy gave me a bunch of stuff when he closed shop.

Thinking, 3300lb v8 car. or something along those lines. Very heavy springs compaired to stock.

25 cent question, If I fit the big springs in the front and leave the rear suspension untouched, how scary will that make the car on the track? Will it oversteer, understeer, automaticaly flip on the roof, dart, etc.

Anyone ever tried this at home or on the track?

Any suggestions for the "budget" increase of spring rate in the back of the car?

Thanks, Tom
MR2 Racer  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

increasing front spring rates while doing nothing else to the car will most likely result in increased understeer. However, depending on your current setup, you could be bottomming out your front outside suspension under cornering load, which could overload the front outer tire causing it to loose traction. You'll definaltey need to get dampers capable of controlling the new stiffer springs. also, on a RWD car, you'll not want to run a very large rear sway bar since it will want to lift on the inside rear wheel when cnrnering, which will casue inside rear wheel spin when on the gas trying to exit a corner. Instead, also use stiffer rear springs to balance out the fronts.
77.5 924 (pops)
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, fundamentally you need front springs and rear torsion bars. Shocks to control them. What rates you use are subject to what you intend to use the car for. If it's pure track use, go as stiff as you can get. At very minimum, you'll need to at least double, if not triple, the effective rates.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Tom924  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks,

I will upgrade the back suspension as cash permits.

My goal for the next year or so is to do Drivers Ed's, so staying within the rules for the race classes is desirable, but cash flow takes priority.

If I can make the car "ok" to get some track time, I can live with that for now.

Thanks for the feedback.
Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: