Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

The Board Server

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: The Board Server Reply with quote

all you tech nerds out there might be interested to know that the server that runs the board had it's reboot anniversary 3 days ago. It's now been 368 days since it was last rebooted.

The last reboot was for an operating system upgrade during which time it was off the air for approximately 60 seconds (the reboot time). Like all real computers the OS upgrade was done totally remotely, just download the OS source, compile and reboot. About a 1 hour process. It was doing it's job as a server through the whole upgrade process except for the last 60 seconds.

The hardware is basically a 300MHz PC with 256M RAM which was switched on in it's current location about two and a half years ago and has never been switched off. It runs the FreeBSD (Unix) operating system.

Apart from the board and the 924 register the server (it's hostname is buffy) runs a phonecard (calling card) system, a couple of network monitoring systems and acts as a general test system when I need to demonstrate the software I develop.

Be nice if everything was that reliable.

Learn to love your multimeter and may the search be with you
Lizard  

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter_in_AU wrote:
Be nice if everything was that reliable.

especially some of our cars
78porsche924  

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call lizard.
Bae turbo kit
to check out my 944 S2 http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=388139
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
epsylon  

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you find freeBSD easier to update / patch then linux ( redhat / mandrake / suse )?
South Padre Island
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epsylon, I find it easier for everything but I have been using it for over 5 years. When we started using FreeBSD Linux was really still Linus Torvalds hobby. I've done a few SUSE Linux installs building Oracle servers for a client and it's a very nice piece of work and probably as stable as FreeBSD.

My only complaint, which really isn't a complaint, is that the Linux software install process tends to be too helpful and installs a lot of stuff you don't need. This isn't a problem if you're building a desktop actually it's fun because you always find nice things you didn't expect. When I'm building a server I want to know exactly what is installed so I don't get any security surprises. I'm sure if I spent more time using Linux I'd be more accurate with my installs.

My opinion is that the Linux distributions are easier to install than FreeBSD if you're building a desktop and FreeBSD might be slightly easier to install when building a server. The difference either way is now so small it's insignificant. Once installed both operating systems are probably equally reliable. Be interested to know what the Apple Mac guys think of OS/X which was built on top of FreeBSD now that it's been out for a while.

It's nice to have a choice.

Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the service
Thats really remarkable good work. This place is nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
78 924 N/a  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Agree, this place is cool!

But I think that its time to get somemore Smiley's these are old...
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, it's on the to-do list.

It's a good indication that things are running reasonably smoothly when smilies start to become important

epsylon  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the company i work for is purely a windows shop, ms .net over java, but i dabble in linux when i get the chance. my girlfirend just bought a ibook which came dual boot with os/x and the apple os. i checked it out. very nice ui. she is going to use it for work and internet surfing and i found that the os/x apps were a little unstable. i could make them crash on command.
South Padre Island
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I suppose anyone with enough knowlege can break anything. Perhaps that's the advantage with microsoft products (the ones they wrote themselves anyway) - you don't need any technical ability, they just break all by themselves

I don't have a problem with microsoft products, some of them are good and those that aren't are very well marketed. I use windows NT on my desktop PC at home and even make money occasionally writing microsoft office applications. I just wouldn't want anyone putting a pacemaker with a "powered by windows" sticker on it into me.

Being able to install software or a major operating system upgrade on a server on the other side of the city or, more often, in another city from the comfort of my spare room and not having to reboot the server (o/s upgrades only) until I actually want to (maybe days later when things are really quiet) tends to work for me.

MR2 Racer  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats remarkable reliability! WOW! Or should I say *in my best strongbad voice* "holy crap!"
77.5 924 (pops)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> About The Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: